When (If EVER) Will The Orioles Get a Hitter Like This?

Old#5fan

Michael Young is one of the best overall and clutch hitters I have seen in over 40 years of following baseball so please go somwhere and take a nap. Even so, he pales in comparison to Vlad which everone chooses to ignore which was the point of this thread. If indded you are truly are old enough to recall Brooks Robinson and follow the game and were totally honest you would have to agree. Your tripe gets old.:rolleyes:
Oh and btw, Nick has an OPS of 879 in Close and late situations in his career...Young's OPS in those same situations? 693.

Nick's BA in those situations is also about 50 points higher.

What are you talking about? You need to take a nap and find out what stats back what you are saying. Close and Late look at it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im pretty sure Vlad dominated camden yards as well. I think he could very easily put up those same numbers here. He would have been the closet thing to a power hitter in our line-up.

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K OBP SLG OPS SB CS SB% HBP GDP

Camden.327 28 110 21 36 7 0 8 26 10 11 .398 .609 1.007 1 2 .333

Michael Young is one of the best overall and clutch hitters I have seen in over 40 years of following baseball so please go somwhere and take a nap. Even so, he pales in comparison to Vlad which everone chooses to ignore which was the point of this thread. If indded you are truly are old enough to recall Brooks Robinson and follow the game and were totally honest you would have to agree. Your tripe gets old.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm.....

2010-02-14_202320_KettleCallingPotBlack.jpg

We sign Garrett Atkins who's hitting .216, 1HR and 9 RBI's for $4 million. The Rangers sign Vlad Guerrero who's hitting .338, 14HR and 54 RBI's for $5.5 million. This team just cant seem to do anything right. Its just another reason to me that Mcphail is failing the Orioles. We should be excited about our young players instead they are taking steps backwards and now on top of it it's being reported we might not have a manager until after the season. To me that's another mistake to add to the list. Im really starting to get on "clean house" bandwagon.

We sign Garrett Atkins who's hitting .216, 1HR and 9 RBI's for $4 million. The Rangers sign Vlad Guerrero who's hitting .338, 14HR and 54 RBI's for $5.5 million. This team just cant seem to do anything right. Its just another reason to me that Mcphail is failing the Orioles. We should be excited about our young players instead they are taking steps backwards and now on top of it it's being reported we might not have a manager until after the season. To me that's another mistake to add to the list. Im really starting to get on "clean house" bandwagon.

To be fair - we were looking for insurance at 3rd and 1st base at the time. Neither of which is a position Vlad plays.

Having said that - I wish we had Vlad's bat in the line-up and Atkins seemed a very low percentage move - even without the benefit of hindsight. It was, in my opinion, the least defensible of McPhail's of moves.

B). gotta love the clutch argument...you've got to. Probably love Jeter too, don't you? Ortiz?

So you want to take all emotion out of baseball and just focus on statistics? Why do you even watch the games then? Anyone who has played any kind of competitive sports knows that there is such a thing as being clutch. If you don't think so then please go back to studying box scores and not watching the games.

We sign Garrett Atkins who's hitting .216, 1HR and 9 RBI's for $4 million. The Rangers sign Vlad Guerrero who's hitting .338, 14HR and 54 RBI's for $5.5 million. This team just cant seem to do anything right. Its just another reason to me that Mcphail is failing the Orioles

Atkins is a first baseman; Vlad is a DH (51 games) who occasionally plays RF (7 games), and has never played 1st in his major league career. (In his 15 years in the majors, he's only played RF, DH, and 2 games in CF in 1996-97; he's never even played LF.) We could have hired Vlad as our DH, but we already had Scott, age 32 with an OPS of .828 last year, while Vlad is 35 with an OPS of .794 last year. We could have put Vlad in RF despite his age and declining range but we already have someone there. Remember, going into this season, we had a logjam in the outfield/DH positions, before Reimold fell apart and Pie got injured.

Atkins is a first baseman; Vlad is a DH (51 games) who occasionally plays RF (7 games), and has never played 1st in his major league career. (In his 15 years in the majors, he's only played RF, DH, and 2 games in CF in 1996-97; he's never even played LF.) We could have hired Vlad as our DH, but we already had Scott, age 32 with an OPS of .828 last year, while Vlad is 35 with an OPS of .794 last year. We could have put Vlad in RF despite his age and declining range but we already have someone there. Remember, going into this season, we had a logjam in the outfield/DH positions, before Reimold fell apart and Pie got injured.

Nice try at defending MacPhail, but we could have had Wiggy at second base and Scott at first with Vlad as the DH. That lineup might have scored some runs instead of the worst lineup in the majors that we are stuck with right now.:mad:

Obvious troll thread. No response required. Please remember the sound that one hand clapping makes, folks. He'll just get frustrated and stop this type of trolling nonsense if we ignore him.

So you don't think this team needs a Vlad type hitter? I tell you what this team is never going to ever sniff 500 if they don't get a top hitter that is better than Nick Markakis. Let it be said, let it be written. Just look at all the hitters ahead of Marakis in batting-there are like 13 of them. Every team that has them is better than the Orioles because their best hitters are better. Even KC with Butler is better.

The point is not that I am bashing Markakis but Vlad could have been had and that is my point. A guy like Young or Markakis should be your second best hitter if you want to compete. ERGO you are wrong as this isn't a Markakis bashing thread but moreso an Andy MacPhail bashing thread.

Except his clutch stats aren't good..which tells us what we already knew about your ability to judge a baseball player over your 40 years.

Funny, how you totally fail to even mention Vlad who Markakis is always going to pale in comparison by a WIDE margin. The point that I was making is Young isn't the BEST hitter on his team. I would love to have our second best hitter be Michael Young or Markakis. That is the POINT THAT YOU TOTALLY MISSED!!!:rolleyes:

Your question was...when have we ever had a hitter like this...and one of your examples was Young...Markakis is better than him..Your comparison is wrong and totally uninformed.

Archived