Third Hand Report on Hobgood

Stotle

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't believe everything you see in a John Goodman movie. Ruth wasn't a small man, but until his mid or late 30s he wasn't fat, either. At Hobgood's age he was probably in the 180-200 lb range.

But, the movie had John Goodman playing him as a youngster and he WAS fat! ;)

What a horrible flick. You'd figure that someone needs to make a more accurate cinematic portrayal of the Babe's life.

Should we give him the nickname like the Bullet's gave John Williams?

Matt "Hotplate" Hobgood?:wedge:

Fat Matt Hobgood...until he's not. :(

I really hope for him that he can learn to control the weight. A lot of young men/women get out of shape at this age when they first leave home. Some just gain the weight in spades, while others don't.

A nutritionist can only be a good thing for Matt. Hopefully they've hired him for the long run, not for like a 30-60 day program. Hobgood needs to change his ways bigtime to be healthy and successful, and that takes time and committment.

I don't get this idea, to move him to first base and have him bat. When's the last time you saw a successful major league first baseman who weighed 310 at the age of 19? There can't be many NFL offensive linemen who weighed more than that at his age. I'm sure guys like David Wells, Boog Powell, and Cecil Fielder were only in the low-to-mid-200s at that age.

Even if he could hit he'd end up being Ernie Lombardi, lining balls off the left field wall and still getting thrown out at first.

(Semi-related story: I once played softball against this Knights of Columbus team whose pitcher was literally 6' 5", 400 lbs. He'd constantly hit frozen ropes all over the ballpark. But if he hit a grounder, he'd just walk back to the dugout - no chance he'd beat it out even if the infielder bobbled it six or eight times. I once saw him hit a ball into the woods beyond the outfield at a park that didn't have a fence. The center fielder must have dug around for 30 seconds trying to find the ball, and the guy got a double.)

I'm not serious Drungo but I don't know too many pitchers who weigh 310 lbs at 19. I'd rather him just get in shape than move him anywhere.

The guy was drafted at 250 according to Baseball Beginnings. This kid went out and put on 60lbs?

By the way, I heard that Hobgood was up to 310 pounds and that the Orioles have given him a nutritionist.

That certainly explains the lack of velocity...

If true that is utterly ridiculous. We invested alot of money in this kid and he cant even stay in shape. What a joke about all the talk about makeup. To me it shows a total lack of respect for this organization. barely a year after being drafted this kid could very easily be labeled a bust. The kid had no problem collecting that huge signing bonus he needs to move away from the buffet and get a personal trainer and private chef ASAP. What a total waste of a pick. We passed on Matzek, Green, Turner, Wheeler, Minor, Leake, White, Gibson, and Purke to draft a 310 pound pitcher throwing 80mph. To go along with that we take Givens and Townsend who cant stay healthy and have not done anything when they were.

If true that is utterly ridiculous. We invested alot of money in this kid and he cant even stay in shape. What a joke about all the talk about makeup. To me it shows a total lack of respect for this organization. barely a year after being drafted this kid could very easily be labeled a bust. The kid had no problem collecting that huge signing bonus he needs to move away from the buffet and get a personal trainer and private chef ASAP. What a total waste of a pick. We passed on Matzek, Green, Turner, Wheeler, Minor, Leake, White, Gibson, and Purke to draft a 310 pound pitcher throwing 80mph. To go along with that we take Givens and Townsend who cant stay healthy and have not done anything when they were.

It's upper 80's thank you very much.

Remember, this wasn't a sign-ability pick. Jordan liked him best at #5. Nothing like sticking your neck and career out for a guy, and watching him literally GROW before your very eyes...

By the way, I heard that Hobgood was up to 310 pounds and that the Orioles have given him a nutritionist.

That certainly explains the lack of velocity...

I'm not serious Drungo but I don't know too many pitchers who weigh 310 lbs at 19. I'd rather him just get in shape than move him anywhere.

The guy was drafted at 250 according to Baseball Beginnings. This kid went out and put on 60lbs?

I would like Tony to clarify when Hobgood supposedly weighed 310 pounds. Now? Last year after the draft? In spring training this year?

Here is an excerpt from a Doc Shorebird interview of Hobgood in March:

I went to the Athletes Performance Institute in Carson, CA. I lost five percent body fat from November 9 to January 29. I put on 10 pounds of muscle while losing 16 pounds of body fat. That’s a drop in body fat from 22% to 17%. I’m still young at 19 and I am still growing, and I still haven’t determined what my best playing weight will be. However, I think I will get lower in body fat as the season goes on. I still have to figure out whether or not if I lose more weight will I lose velocity or what. I will adjust my weight to optimize my pitching.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/plus/plusarticle.asp?ID=2384

Hobgood is listed at 6'4", 245 lbs. on the Shorebirds roster. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=548&stn=true&sid=t548

If Hobgood has weighed 310 pounds at any time this year, that would be shocking to me.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I'm not sure name-calling is necessary. I understand there is a lot of frustration around here, but it's probably prudent to give young players time to figure things out. Becoming a professional athlete is a tough path. I know these bonus babies are well compensated, but everyone is human and everyone stumbles from time to time.

To be clear, I think critiquing Hobgood is fine. Expressing disappointment is of course fine. But personal attacks seem inappropriate. Just my $.2

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I'm not sure name-calling is necessary. I understand there is a lot of frustration around here, but it's probably prudent to give young players time to figure things out. Becoming a professional athlete is a tough path. I know these bonus babies are well compensated, but everyone is human and everyone stumbles from time to time.

To be clear, I think critiquing Hobgood is fine. Expressing disappointment is of course fine. But personal attacks seem inappropriate. Just my $.2

I heart civility. Thanks Stotle.

Seriously guys...I don't care how much money you threw at me when I was 19. I was a wreckless dummy. I'm pretty sure most of us who led outward, active social lives might be able to say the same thing with 10+ years to reflect. It doesn't mean I was above criticism, but it doesn't warrant personal insults and namecalling.

From the board rules and policies...

5. Posts containing slanderous or otherwise disrespectful messages will be removed. This includes name calling of other posters, Orioles players, coaches, front office personnel, members of the media, or Hangout staff.

I know Tony was the one who said he's 310 lbs now, and while he is of course a very reliable source and wouldn't say something he doesn't believe is correct, I just can't believe it.

How could Hobgood have put on 60 lbs from spring training until now? It just doesn't make sense. That would be hard to do even if you try.

I know Tony was the one who said he's 310 lbs now, and while he is of course a very reliable source and wouldn't say something he doesn't believe is correct, I just can't believe it.

How could Hobgood have put on 60 lbs from spring training until now? It just doesn't make sense. That would be hard to do even if you try.

Just because the guide said he was at 250 does not mean he was at 250.

Just because the guide said he was at 250 does not mean he was at 250.

And just because someone told Tony that Hobgood was at 310 doesn't mean he was. Just eyeballing the guy's pictures, I have trouble believing anything above 270 or so, and 245-250 looks more like it to me. But it is hard to know without seeing the guy in person.

And just because someone told Tony that Hobgood was at 310 doesn't mean he was. Just eyeballing the guy's pictures, I have trouble believing anything above 270 or so, and 245-250 looks more like it to me. But it is hard to know without seeing the guy in person.

True, but he is 6-foo-4 and the body I saw in pictures certainly suggests he could have been encroaching 300. I didn't see the scale and the information I got would certainly fall under the third hand information category, but either way, the point is that Hobgood needs to get his weight under control and show the organization he's going to out work EVERYONE to get back to where he needs to be.

Archived