Third Hand Report on Hobgood

Stotle

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There seems to be a lot of concern and confusion about Matt Hobgood's progress this year. Matt has agreed to do another interview with me next week. (I'll be in NC for a few days).

There will be something newsworthy that I can report then. I also plan to chat with Troy Mattes.

If you have any questions you would like asked or issues clarified, send me a PM.

Is he mostly throwing fastball/curveball or is he throwing a fair number of changeups? How comfortable is he with the changeup? Is he satisfied with his command of his two primary pitches?

Sore shoulder.

"Nothing major," though... skipping a start, apparently.

Kinda ties in to what Dr. said earlier, these HS kids adjusting to the professional routine end up with tired/sore shoulders all the time as they learn its a marathon, not a sprint.

Kinda ties in to what Dr. said earlier, these HS kids adjusting to the professional routine end up with tired/sore shoulders all the time as they learn its a marathon, not a sprint.

Despite the absolute pounding the kid has taken on this board, he's not having a bad season at low A for a high school kid. I'm concerned about reports on velocity (and some of the other stuff as well) but he's probably hit a little bit of a wall. Those calling him a bust are either fortune tellers or extremely premature.

Despite the absolute pounding the kid has taken on this board, he's not having a bad season at low A for a high school kid. I'm concerned about reports on velocity (and some of the other stuff as well) but he's probably hit a little of a wall. Those calling him a bust are either fortune tellers or extremely premaure.

I agree that it's nice that he's doing 'ok' on a full season team - BUT - the peripherals are not that encouraging.

Archived