Arthur Rhodes -- still bringing it

Frobby

Why did the Orioles let him get away? Was he traded or just went to the highest bidder as a FA? (I forget).:o

He became a free agent after the '99 season, in which he had a 5.43 ERA. He had been very good in the previous 3 years. I don't recall if the O's made any effort to keep him. I suspect they were simply outbid, as the Mariners signed Rhodes to a four-year, $13.5 mm contract that was pretty pricey for a reliever at the time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He became a free agent after the '99 season, in which he had a 5.43 ERA. He had been very good in the previous 3 years. I don't recall if the O's made any effort to keep him. I suspect they were simply outbid, as the Mariners signed Rhodes to a four-year, $13.5 mm contract that was pretty pricey for a reliever at the time.

Thanks for answering my question. My memory isn't that good anymore. I can remember stuff about the Orioles much better from when I was a kid, than from the 80's and 90's.

Thanks for answering my question. My memory isn't that good anymore. I can remember stuff about the Orioles much better from when I was a kid, than from the 80's and 90's.

I don't remember this stuff, I look it up unless I'm absolutely sure I have an accurate memory of something.

ERA now down to 0.28 -- he allowed a run back on April 10, and that's it. He also hasn't allowed an inherited runner to score since May 8, stranding the last 11 runners he inherited. On the year, only 2 of 20 inherited runners have scored off Rhodes.

He's never made the All-Star team...hopefully this year he's made enough of an impact to warrant a roster spot.

Nice thought, that would be awesome for him I'm sure, especially with him likely thinking that it could never possibly happen this late in his career.

He's never made the All-Star team...hopefully this year he's made enough of an impact to warrant a roster spot.

Now, he's made it.

From CBS Sports:

Reds RP Arthur Rhodes found out on Sunday that he would participate the 2010 All-Star Game, the first All-Star selection of his career. Rhodes, who came into the league in 1991, has a 1.09 ERA with 32 strikeouts in 37 appearances this season. "I've put a lot of work into this game, busted my tail and just worked hard," an emotional Rhodes told MLB.com. "It's been an exciting year for me in the first half. To make the All-Star team, I'm excited right now. I'll go out there, enjoy myself and have fun." The 40-year-old Rhodes, in his 19th season in the majors, tied a major-league record this season by going 33 straight appearances without giving up a run. "I'm extremely happy for Arthur Rhodes. That's perseverance right there," manager Dusty Baker said.

Archived