Steinbrenner: Torre gone if they lose this series

SteveA

He's a below-average SS and a very good contact hitter. A solid player, for sure. But nowhere near what his image is.

The Gold Glove thing is what pisses me off the most. The average fan thinks it mean something that he wins that award every year, and that only makes him more famous. Grrrrrr.

He's better than a "solid player" as you say. But yes, not as good as his image.

Agreed on the gold glove thing. But what can you do? That is a product of playing in the biggest media market in the country..

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I meant to say beaner. I don't like anyone that plays for the Yankees, especially guys that play well for them.

Fair enough. Now that is honesty my friends!!

It's the very foundation of a long-standing Oriole-fan tradition.

The only thing that's new or surprising is to hear it coming to us from NY ;-)

Jeter is an enigma in the sense that he is, simultanaeously, the most overrated and most underrated player in baseball.

Yea, that's a good point. He's a product of the hype, no question, but really is a damn good player.

You know what bugs me the most about this whole Yankee thing. They're going to lose this series, whether it be tonight or whatever. When they do, the board will rejoice as if it has ANYTHING to do with the Orioles. The truth is, we all know that it doesn't, and no matter what happens with the Yankees, we're still a long way from competing with them.

I think that's the root of my issue with the board as it relates to the Yankees.

Yea, that's a good point. He's a product of the hype, no question, but really is a damn good player.

You know what bugs me the most about this whole Yankee thing. They're going to lose this series, whether it be tonight or whatever. When they do, the board will rejoice as if it has ANYTHING to do with the Orioles. The truth is, we all know that it doesn't, and no matter what happens with the Yankees, we're still a long way from competing with them.

I think that's the root of my issue with the board as it relates to the Yankees.

You'e just bitter because the evil Sox just pwnd the Angels. If they lose, you'll rejoice about that, which has equally little to do with the Orioles. What difference is there? They're our rivals, so we root for them to lose. Rivals don't have to be equal in quality to be called rivals.

Haven'y you ever seen the t-shirt that reads

"My two favorite teams are the Orioles and whoever's playing the Yankees"

Trust me, Yankees fans would like nothing better than to rub your face in it while stomping on the back of your neck if they were winning, so let their fans have another slice of disappointment for all I care.

You'e just bitter because the evil Sox just pwnd the Angels. If they lose, you'll rejoice about that, which has equally little to do with the Orioles. What difference is there? They're our rivals, so we root for them to lose. Rivals don't have to be equal in quality to be called rivals.

Not really, I just basically ignored that series to be honest. I don't get 1% of the pleasure when the Red Sox lose that you all get when the Yankees lose.

I don't agree that they are our rivals..They don't even think about us at all. The reason the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry works is because they're both always good. It's the same with Duke/Carolina, Ohio State/Michigan and other great rivalries. Niether Boston or New York considers the Orioles their rivals. We've have battles with each team in the past, but we've battled Toronto from 1989-'93, and other teams in different eras. The Sox/Yanks have stood the test of time.

Our fans choose to root against the Yankees because they're always good, it's that simple. It's the same in College Basketball, everybody hates Carolina, because they've been good for as long as anyone can remember. Duke had a nice 15 year run, but it's not the same. The Yankees had a lull from 1981-1994, no one gave a crap about them for all of those years. The O's rival then was the Blue Jays, i don't see much Blue Jay hatred on here...It's because the Yankees are good and their fans and owner can be jerks....

There are many, many reasons to hate the Yankees. Too many to get into right now, right here.

Here's one:

The New York Yankees, who played as the New York Highlanders from 1903-1912, spent their first two seasons in the American League as the Baltimore Orioles before some NYers paid $18,000 for the team and moved it up north.

I was negative-67-years-old at the time & I'm still pretty pissed off about it.

I don't like Jeter, but I respect him as a ballplayer.

He's the second best shortstop on the Yankees roster.

I don't even respect him that much as a ball player. He pulls goofy **** and gets praised for it (like playing ridiculously out of position in order to field an errant throw up the first base line, or the dive in to the stands, etc) and I can not STAND the arrogant ass way he puts his hand up to tell the umpire that he isn't ready to have a pitch yet. I'm waiting for that damn hand to get ignored.

But I can respect the fact that he plays hard. That's more than I can say for some of our own players.

There are many, many reasons to hate the Yankees. Too many to get into right now, right here.

Here's one:

The New York Yankees, who played as the New York Highlanders from 1903-1912, spent their first two seasons in the American League as the Baltimore Orioles before some NYers paid $18,000 for the team and moved it up north.

I was negative-67-years-old at the time & I'm still pretty pissed off about it.

I'm not a fan of the Yankees by any means. I've said for a while that while I was growing up as a fan of Baseball around 1982'ish, the Yankees were a non factor. In fact, they were pretty bad until around 1994, so I just didn't have that hatred that many people older or younger than me had. It's just timing really. I was a Senior in High School in 1989 during "Why Not", and the Blue Jays were our rilval then and also in the early 90's when they were the team that got all of the Free Agents, traded for Rickey Henderson and David Cone down the stretch, stuff like that. it wasn't New York, it was Toronto. It was Cito Gaston that didn't pitch Mussina in that All Star Game. Toronto then fell off the map after the strike, but people forget how much we hated them for a good 5 year period. Besides beating us in the 1996 ALCS, the O's and Yankees have been pretty far apart for a long time.

Yeah, I still have a residual resentment for the Blue Jays for all that mess, too.

Me too, and i never had that for the Yankees..Yeah, it sucked when they beat us in '96, but that's it. We've been pretty bad during their whole recent run. I just don't get it.

Me too, and i never had that for the Yankees..Yeah, it sucked when they beat us in '96, but that's it. We've been pretty bad during their whole recent run. I just don't get it.

I'm 20 and my first year following the Orioles was 1996, so thats why I hate the Yankees more than any other team and always will.

I'm 20 and my first year following the Orioles was 1996, so thats why I hate the Yankees more than any other team and always will.

That makes perfect sense. Although besides that year, we haven't really been competing with them. My problem is that I always think selfishly and that I'm talking to my friends who for the most part, are my age. Obviously, that's not the case. More than likely, most people on the board are younger than me and grew up seeing great Yankees teams instead of the Steve Balboni and Ken Phelps lead ones that I saw.

Or older than me who saw the great Yankee teams of the 50s and 60s..

That makes perfect sense. Although besides that year, we haven't really been competing with them. My problem is that I always think selfishly and that I'm talking to my friends who for the most part, are my age. Obviously, that's not the case. More than likely, most people on the board are younger than me and grew up seeing great Yankees teams instead of the Steve Balboni and Ken Phelps lead ones that I saw.

Exactly. I hated them after the Tony Tarrasco robbery and they've pretty much been baseballs best ever since. That sucks. :D

Archived