Markakis speaks out

tvz1997

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is fantastic. I would also assume this is being paired with more direct critique/suggestions (out of the media/spotlight) to the specific players.

If it's someone like Wieters, that's fine. But I'd hope (and I assume it would be the case) that he's talking to Wieters and explaining this. I actually thought of Jones first -- someone who has been around the ML a little longer. But I could see it applying to someone like Wieters, too.

Regardless, mine is all speculation. I am SO happy to see someone step up and sound like a leader (even if it's only me applauding a token effort -- something like this is long overdue). And I'm thrilled Nick was the guy to do it.

Ditto. I'm really happy it's Nick also. The best player on the team should be the team's leader.

He is wrong about this part, though:

Having his hitters go up to the plate with a plan and an approach absolutely should be part of the hitting coach's business.

If Markakis's remark reflect the way the job of hitting coach is being defined, as no more than a swing technician, then there's no wonder Crowley has kept his job so long.

He also said, at least indirectly, that guys are not paying attention to what Crow is teaching. He said it didn't matter, b/c some guys are too stubborn.

Having his hitters go up to the plate with a plan and an approach absolutely should be part of the hitting coach's business.

If Markakis's remark reflect the way the job of hitting coach is being defined, as no more than a swing technician, then there's no wonder Crowley has kept his job so long.

I think he means, teaching only goes as far as the student is willing to learn. To me, the quote means that Crowley is a great teacher but there are some players who are resistant to being taught.

I tend to agree. I think some orgs have separate positions -- someone who works on swing and someone who goes through advance reports and vid with the players. I really am not sure, though.

No, Crow has said himself that he can teach them all he can in the cage, but once they go up to the plate they have to have a plan and execute that plan. I think this is what Nick is referrring to. That once they get to the plate, they are abandoning their learning and doing what they want.

Kinda like Anakin Skywalker! :D

I think he's saying that Crowley is doing a good job but certain guys aren't not listening to him or doing what he says and that they are going up there clueless.

Who really knows though?

A month ago, Jones would have been my first thought, but he seems to be the poster child (in a positive way) for what Markakis is talking about. AJ has been making changes that needed to be made. He is still not performing up to his potential, but he has definitely made strides and pointed the finger at himself for his poor approach early in the season. If anything, I could see AJ's admission the other night as something that might have encouraged Markakais to speak out.

If Markakis's remark reflects the way the job of hitting coach is being defined, as no more than a swing technician, then there's no wonder Crowley has kept his job so long.

Markakis has only been a Baltimore Oriole. That means he's never been on a team that has a real hitting coach. He doesn't know that a good hitting coach is supposed to be helping hitters with their approach and that hitters are supposed to be getting help from advance scouts.

I think it's interesting that Markakis mentions the need for a 40 HR guy in the lineup, and then also mentions that you don't need guys that can hit a lot of HR's.

Nick has lost so much of his power this season and looks frail to be honest. We don't even have a leader who has an opinion that means anything. When you have three HR's and look like a slap hitter most of the time I don't think you have a lot of room to criticize others. I know Nick is patient, but times like last night show that he's TOO patient sometimes as well.

Archived