Markakis speaks out

tvz1997

Others would know better, but I'd love to see him spend significant time with an experienced hitter (a Manny, a Bonds, whoever) in the off-season and just work on the "art" of hitting. How to tackle a pitcher, little tricks of the "elite-level" trade.

This would be what Rosenthal was referring to when he mentioned somebody like Ripken could be brought in to "finish" the development of players like Wieters at the ML level...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Wieters' approach needs to be changed?

He takes pitches, he goes the other way. The problem for him right now is his bat looks incredibly slow and he can't drive anything. I'm not sure how a different approach would fix that.

I don't think the mental approach is what is holding Wieters back right now. I think its just a complete lack of execution. He's not hitting anything with authority.

I agree with you here. Wieters doesn't get the calls on the borderline strikes, but I think his approach (regarding patience and selectivity) is fine. He's 2nd on the team in terms of P/PA. I rarely see him swing at a bad pitch. He needs to work on his swing more than his approach.

What about Wieters' approach needs to be changed?

To add to Stotle's point. When I watch Wieters he swings at pitchers pitches too much as well. Leading to weak ground-outs/flyballs.

In all honesty, he might be the 2nd guy in line that Markakis is calling out in his interview.

Wieters continue's to do the same thing over and over again.

You have to go up to the plate, with a plan and execute the plan. I'm pretty sure the plan isn't to swing at pitchers pitches. He needs to get himself in better hitting counts. Thats where you'll see him driving the ball more often.

To add to Stotle's point. When I watch Wieters he swings at pitchers pitches too much as well. Leading to weak ground-outs/flyballs.

In all honesty, he might be the 2nd guy in line that Markakis is calling out in his interview.

Wieters continue's to do the same thing over and over again.

You have to go up to the plate, with a plan and execute the plan. I'm pretty sure the plan isn't to swing at pitchers pitches. He needs to get himself in better hitting counts. Thats where you'll see him driving the ball more often.

But, to Frobby's point, being selective is a burden as a young player if you don't get the benefit of the close calls. I agree with your general point -- don't recall enough about specific pitches Wieters is hitting to comment one way or the other. As a general point, I agree that his "jump" will come when he can get back to the confident Wieters that can work to his pitch, then let it fly.

I don't think he goes the other way nearly as much as he should. I've seen him roll over a bunch of outside pitches and ground them to the 2B. I do believe that he tries to be selective though.

I agree.

He's seeing around the same # of pitchers per AB as last year. He is, however, swinging at more balls outside of the zone and less inside the strike zone.

According to fangraphs, hes swinging at 59% of balls inside the strike zone compared to 70% last year.

Also, his GB % is up, while line drive/fly ball is down so the "rolling over" theory has some merit.

I dont know exactly WHAT needs to be done, but obviously its something.

He calls them clueless and that's how many of them look. I read an article in the St. Petersburgh Times about Tampa Bay. They even scout the umpires so that they have an idea of their strike zone. Texas does that also and they are both in 1st. place. Maybe our scouting needs some improvement.

I just want to point out something else Nick said yesterday:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-giants-0617-20100616,0,1910836.story

I'm glad Nick owned up to his own lousy AB in a crucial situation.

On his other quotes, it seems to me he is criticizing mental approach, not effort. And I agree 100% with him. I think Samuel, or whoever the manager is, needs to be much more explicit with his team about what is expected of them when they go to the plate. For example, I get infuriated when our pitcher struggles through a long inning and then is back on the field in 5 minutes because the hitters swung at the first pitch they saw. There's a time to swing at a first pitch, but there's also a time to realize that the team really needs a patient inning, even more than usual, to give their own pitcher enough time to regroup. I think Samuel needs to start penalizing selfish play like that.

As to who Nick was referencing specifically, I doubt it was Wieters, even though he is struggling mightily. More likely it is the impatient veterans, and Jones.

One thing the FO really needs to do this winter is acquire some guys who have good approaches at the plate. As mediocre as Kevin Millar was, at least you always felt he was giving the pitcher a good battle. If we can't acquire superstars to fill every hole, at least let's acquire some guys who know how to draw walks, extend AB's and increase pitch counts.

By the way, this is an area where we really miss BRob.

My thoughts as well. The young, Angels players raved about what they learned from watching Bobby Abreu's approach to hitting. They said they were surpised at how many pitches he took. But after watching him in action and speaking to him about it they learned the value of working counts for walks and into good hitter's counts. I would love to see the O's acquire someone with that kind of approach.

I agree.

He's seeing around the same # of pitchers per AB as last year. He is, however, swinging at more balls outside of the zone and less inside the strike zone.

According to fangraphs, hes swinging at 59% of balls inside the strike zone compared to 70% last year.

Also, his GB % is up, while line drive/fly ball is down so the "rolling over" theory has some merit.

I dont know exactly WHAT needs to be done, but obviously its something.

Isn't this likely just an example of the "adjustments" game? When he came up, pitchers came right at him. When he started hitting, pitchers adjusted. Now he has to respond? Just a guess.

I don't think he goes the other way nearly as much as he should. I've seen him roll over a bunch of outside pitches and ground them to the 2B. I do believe that he tries to be selective though.
He's hitting .240 with no power, he's not doing anything nearly as much as he should. He's missing pitches he should be able to drive.

I just don't think its an approach issue with him. Mechanics, confidence, whatever it is, I don't think its a problem of him going up there and not realizing he needs to try to get good pitches to hit. He's just not currently capable of doing anything with those good pitches when he gets him.

He's hitting .240 with no power, he's not doing anything nearly as much as he should. He's missing pitches he should be able to drive.

I just don't think its an approach issue with him. Mechanics, confidence, whatever it is, I don't think its a problem of him going up there and not realizing he needs to try to get good pitches to hit. He's just not currently capable of doing anything with those good pitches when he gets him.

The last few games I've seen he looks a lot like Rick Hague did at the beginning of the season. Just tentative; not trusting his hands. Needs to get into his head that he is a man to be feared and just unload. JMHO.

I don't think Wieters ever started hitting to the point where pitchers had to adjust to him. They probably pitched him more carefully last year when he still had the reputation of "super prospect". Wieters has not proven to be a hitter you need to be extra careful with. Until he can look fastball and actually do something with it, he's in trouble. If you can't hit the fastball, might as well not even worry about the other stuff.

Yep, this nails it. Pitchers are pounding the strike zone with fastballs early in the count against Wieters, and he's either taking or he's fouling them off.

It's the most basic skill in baseball (for a position player)...can you hit the fastball. Warren Cromartie's book about his time in Japan included some stories about the end of Reggie Smith's career (he finished his career in Japan)...Smith knew it was time to retire when he couldn't "hit the (bleep)ing fastball" anymore.

Right now, Wieters can't hit the (bleep)ing fastball. I think he can hit it eventually but until he does, he's not going to be able to use his selectivity to his advantage.

So, people now think Wieters has a slow bat? But you didn't feel that way last year?

To me, he just looks particularly bad right now. I wouldn't have said this in mid-early May. He's just looking like he can't hit anything at the moment.

I'm frankly not as keen an observer of mechanics and the like as many other posters. So I can't say "slow bat" is the issue, or "long swing" is the issue, or anything like that. What I think is not the issue is swinging at tons of lousy pitches.

Archived