Markakis speaks out

tvz1997

So, people now think Wieters has a slow bat? But you didn't feel that way last year?

I've always felt that way, but it seemed near the end of last year that he made up for it with pitch recognition. Pitchers with live fastballs have figured out that they can throw it right past him.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, people now think Wieters has a slow bat? But you didn't feel that way last year?
I don't think batspeed is a constant. He looked fine last year, but he can't get around on much recently.

His bat looks slower to me this year, and over the last couple months in particular, than last year. He isn't getting around and driving very many pitches.

This is simply ridiculous on every level. Of course it's up to the coach to instruct the player, and for the player to carry that out. Nobody is arguing against that. But the point YOU are so clearly missing is that TC isn't giving hitters a "plan" at all... According to Nick (or at least my reading of what he said), TC has 110% NOTHING to do with hitters' approach at the plate. That's what I find disturbing. What's TC's excuse - "Not my job, dudes! Sorry!"

Dude, relax. You have missed his point altogether. Go back and read it and you will see that he is saying that TC can give the guys all of the instruction they need but if they don't follow the "plan" there isn't a damn thing he can do about it! It is that simple and considering Soxhotcorner actually played in the Majors for years, I am inclined to think he knows what he is talking about.

I was at last Saturday's game against the Mets and got there early to watch BP. Wieters was not playing that night so he was hitting in the last group and I got to see him and he just looked frustrated even during BP. After two rounds he came out of the cage and and threw down his bat in disgust. He maybe hit one ball out and hardly any line drives, just alot of lazy flyballs. Hopefully he can start to get it going soon because he sure looked like he had no confidence at all and the double play he hit into to end that game sure didn't help either.

He is basically talking about hitting, but I knew this was coming...

There was a play the other day with Atkins playing first, and it was a pop fly in foul territory on the 1st base side. It was a ball Atkins or any other 1st baseman really should have had, definitely not routine... but should have had. But it was Markakis flying down and almost making the play. Well, the ball fell in... and the look on Markakis' face was absolutely priceless. It almost looked like Markakis was going to blow his fuse right then and there.

I am tired of hearing the players saying... "Well tonight we faced one of the best pitchers in baseball..." There is a difference between showing respect and flat out conceding that someone is better. And it's just disgusting how many players do it in their post-game interview. This was especially so against Sabathia.

My issue is, how were scouts that shortsighted and, quite frankly, stupid to not recognize these issues coming out of college and when he was in the minors? Why feed us all that inaccurate garbage?

More likely:

1. Every scout, evaluator and analysts were all completely off-base in their assessment of Weiters

2. Wieters has some mechanical (and likely mental) issues at the plate and is experiencing a rough start to 2010

The rapidity with which some around here change their minds on evaluations is insane (not directed at you Dolo).

My issue is, how were scouts that shortsighted and, quite frankly, stupid to not recognize these issues coming out of college and when he was in the minors? Why feed us all that inaccurate garbage?
Yeah, its gotta be a huge conspiracy that everyone who ever saw him play in high school, college, and the minors realized that he would never make it and just lied about it. Can't possibly be that we're not seeing him at his best right now for whatever reason. I mean, players always play at their absolute best, especially early in their career.

More likely:

1. Every scout, evaluator and analysts were all completely off-base in their assessment of Weiters

2. Wieters has some mechanical (and likely mental) issues at the plate and is experiencing a rough start to 2010

The rapidity with which some around here change their minds on evaluations is insane (not directed at you Dolo).

#1 means everybody on the planet was wrong. #2 is more likely than that. I figure he's got some swing issue *and* not-hitting has gotten into his head. He's feeling frustrated about it and feeling iffy about himself.

Give em' hell Nick, yet another reason you're my favorite player on the team! Contrary to what some have thought before, Markakis does have a pulse, and he's not afraid to say what's on his mind, and quite frankly, it needs to be said. There's no doubt that there are players on this team, mostly veterans that are not pulling their weight around, or throwing their weight in the wrong direction, and are not getting the job done. I don't think it takes much thought as to who that might be.

But it bears noting that he's not excusing himself for any problems he's had this season or moments where he's come up and not produced. So harping on his production is laughable. This team has a lot of issues, but Nick Markakis isn't one of them, and it's pretty darn difficult to make something happen when nobody in front of you gets on, and nobody behind you drives you in, as Frobby pointed out in his excellent thread.

Preach on Nick!

Not sure who or what you are referring to. I said that Wieters can't hit the fastball in fastball counts and until he proves he can hit the fastball he's in trouble. Are you taking that to mean that I think he has a slow bat? If yes, then I would say, I'm not sure about his bat speed. When he connects the ball goes a long way. I'm not sure it's bat speed. I am sure that he's not hitting fastballs that even an average hitter should be squaring up.

Just general comments...The term slow bat has certainly come up.

I felt he had a slow bat last year and many disagreed...I am not sure much has changed from last year to be honest.

The Sun has an expanded version of the article up now, with some additional info from Nick:

In questioning the team's approach, Markakis said that means that Oriole hitters need to do a better job of working the count, having team at-bats and moving baserunners, using both sides of the fields and executing a plan against specific pitchers.
"We're all bad right now. It's obvious. Everybody watches the games. They see it, they know it. It is what it is until we start making adjustments. You can't say guys aren't trying. Guys are busting their butts. I just don't think they have the right approach going up there. It's like, 'see ball, hit ball.' You can't do that. You have to make the adjustment and you have to change your approach. Until you do that, this is going to keep happening."

Just general comments...The term slow bat has certainly come up.

I felt he had a slow bat last year and many disagreed...I am not sure much has changed from last year to be honest.

An .333/.395/.882 in September/October is a pretty drastic change, if you tell me.

Archived