Edwin Encarnacion designated for assignment by the Blue Jays.....

nate22

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he can get back to where he was 2-3 years ago, he would be a great pickup. Worst-case he's Tony Batista-Lite, replaces Atkins on the roster and we release him after this season. Best-case he's a league-average first baseman or DH and can fill a spot until someone better comes along.

He's only 27, and he might come fairly cheap.

I can't believe all the support for picking this guy up. THe guy who just got DFA'd by a division rival. And how is this different than everything else we've tried in the past 5 years? Give me a break. I'd rather call up Josh Bell.

Anyone is better than Atkins.

I mean, would you trade Atkins for Encarnacion, if he hadn't been DFA'd? Of course you would. Even if he doesn't end up accomplishing anything for us, he would be a better baseball player than Atkins.

Any move than can improve your 25 man roster in any way, without sacrificing anything at the lower levels, is always good.

Go get him.

For a guy that doesn't have a great OBP, his walk% isn't that bad...9.3% for his career and over 12% this year.

His BABIP this year is 167. that is absurdly low.

His LD% is just over 14% but still, the BABIP should be higher..Speaks to a lot of bad luck there.

He hits a lot of flyballs...he just turned 27 entering the season.

He was a one time top talent.

The one thing I notice, that stands out IMO, is that his LD% hasn't been that great over the last few years...That appears to be the issue with his BA and slugging.

His HR/FB% is high because he hits a ton of flyballs but he isn't hitting enough line drives.

He has always been able to hit homers but has never been much of a doubles hitter...only has 5 this year. That probably is some indication about his LD%.

You have to take a chance on a guy like this when you are as pathetic as we are.

Archived