Houston Making Significant Offer for Tejada

33rdst

Who did they make their case to beforehand and when did they make it?

Where can I find these slot guidlines ?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/2005draft/crasnick2.html

Now all that’s left is settling on a figure. The advent of “slot money,” a system of forced financial certainty decreed by the commissioner’s office, has all but removed the art of negotiation from the process. The scouting director who wants to pay above slot must get approval from his general manager and possibly his owner, then outline his reasoning with a representative from commissioner Bud Selig’s office, who probably will try to dissuade the owner from spending the money.

Teams get fined if they "skip" going trhough the commissioners office.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/2005draft/crasnick2.html

Teams get fined if they "skip" going trhough the commissioners office.

But if they go "through" the commisioner's office, they don't get fined. According to the article, the commissioner's office tries to "dissuade" them from spending the money, but has no authority to stop them if they choose. In other words, If Pete wanted to pay Weaver over the slot money, he just had to go "through" the commisioners office to do so. MLB, isn't going to tell a team to forfeit its 1st round pick by not paying a player what it takes to get him signed. Right ?

But if they go "through" the commisioner's office, they don't get fined. According to the article, the commissioner's office tries to "dissuade" them from spending the money, but has no authority to stop them if they choose. In other words, If Pete wanted to pay Weaver over the slot money, he just had to go "through" the commisioners office to do so. MLB, isn't going to tell a team to forfeit its 1st round pick by not paying a player what it takes to get him signed. Right ?

Absolutely, they can present their case to the commisioners office and sign the guy to whatever sized deal they want to. But again, it's something that MLB does not want to happen. It benefited the Orioles this year as they ended up with Beato because the Mets were successfully (and suprisingly) dissuaded from signing him to a deal that would of been out of line w/MLB recommendations for someone picked where he was.

Absolutely, they can present their case to the commisioners office and sign the guy to whatever sized deal they want to. But again, it's something that MLB does not want to happen. It benefited the Orioles this year as they ended up with Beato because the Mets were successfully (and suprisingly) dissuaded from signing him to a deal that would of been out of line w/MLB recommendations for someone picked where he was.

I don't think I want Bud Selig telling me how to run my team. Moreover, a control freak like Angelos definitely doesn't. That said, the Orioles drafted Townshend instead of Drew or Weaver because he was cheaper which was my original contention. :D

East coast time, hitting the sack.....

I don't think I want Bud Selig telling me how to run my team. Moreover, a control freak like Angelos definitely doesn't. That said, the Orioles drafted Townshend instead of Drew or Weaver because he was cheaper which was my original contention. :D

East coast time, hitting the sack.....

Yep, Townsend was a "cheap" pick as was Markakis. However Angelos wasn't cheap when it came to getting Loewen signed.

Yep, Townsend was a "cheap" pick as was Markakis. However Angelos wasn't cheap when it came to getting Loewen signed.

I thought that the provision that stipulated that Loewen had to be on the ML roster by '07 was the deal closer. He signed a day before he would've re-entered the draft. Somebody was creative to get that done, I'll give credit for that.

As far as Markakis, I thought we benefited from the frugality of Reds ownership the previous year that allowed us to nab him a year after he was originally drafted by them. It would be hard to think that the greek card didn't play a role either.

Another poster always points out what Mark Cuban says, " some owners hate to lose, some owners hate to lose money"

I think we know what category Petey falls under.

I thought that the provision that stipulated that Loewen had to be on the ML roster by '07 was the deal closer. He signed a day before he would've re-entered the draft. Somebody was creative to get that done, I'll give credit for that.

As far as Markakis, I thought we benefited from the frugality of Reds ownership the previous year that allowed us to nab him a year after he was originally drafted by them. It would be hard to think that the greek card didn't play a role either.

Another poster always points out what Mark Cuban says, " some owners hate to lose, some owners hate to lose money"

I think we know what category Petey falls under.

"For some some owners it hurts to lose, and for some owners it hurts to spend" -- Mark Cuban

<paraphrasing>

He was picked earlier than predicted and I believe he signed a below slot contract.

Seems the Anges are as reluctant to trade as us. But the Astros are apparently a real possiblity

Astros get Mig and Rlo (and maybe Javy)

O's get

Hirsch - key player (him Bedard, and Penn with Loewen and DCab) really would give us a strong stucture where we need it

Pence - LF possibility

Ensberg

Lane -

Patton -

(not wild about Everett, prefer to let Fahey play short, unless Everett can be flipped in a package with other players like Hawkins to Col for Shealy)

Not sure we could get it for this, but HIRSCH WOULD HAVE TO BE main part of the deal.

Who am I kidding? O's will do nothing, but it shows me that a team is more than one player, and you really need balance across the board. Tigers are showing that this year. Mig ain't getting any younger, and without shoring up the SP we ain't going anywhere in the foreseeable future

Archived