Houston Making Significant Offer for Tejada

33rdst

Waiting until the offseason is probably wise.

Who knows with the Cubs anymore. I'd like to think the odds are high that Maddux gets dealt, but I wouldn't want to guess about what's really happening behind the scenes.

Dave, do you get the impression that the Cubs are looking to completely rebuild, or do they intend to come back strong with a few big moves this offseason?

Obviously, the only way they'd want Tejada is if they want to compete.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave, do you get the impression that the Cubs are looking to completely rebuild, or do they intend to come back strong with a few big moves this offseason?

Obviously, the only way they'd want Tejada is if they want to compete.

The Cubs aren't going to rebuild, nor do they need to.

They've got a strong young core, and money to spend. They're not tied down by any albatross contracts, and they're not heavily relying on anyone that's getting old.

The question is, does Hendry have the proper vision of *how* to build a contender.

This offer from Houston is exhibit A as to why, if they're going to trade Tejada, now is not the time. Trading Tejada for a couple of solid, but not great, pitching prospects, an all-field, no bat shortstop and a double A outfield prospect would be crazy. There will be much better offers out there this winter.

I'd rather keep Miguel if he wants to be here. That said, if he wants to go then send him out. The Astros package is solid, but I'd take out Nieve and ask for Troy Patton, the 20 yr. old LHP now in AA.

Astros get: Miguel Tejada

Orioles get: Troy Patton LHP (AA), Hunter Pence LF (AA), Jason Hirsh RHP (AAA) and Adam Everett SS (ML)

I would probably deal Pence and Everett elsewhere. Pence has a weak arm that is only suitable for LF/1B and get's poor jumps and reads on fly balls, according to BA. He also has a hitch in his swing, but has quick hands that enable him to punish fastballs. Everett is just horrible at the plate...nuff said. Fahey is better than Everett, and Reimold is better than Pence (unless he moves to 1B maybe).

Hirsh and Patton though excite me. Having Hirsh, is Cabrera expendable? Having Patton, would Olson be expendable?

Are we all just wasting our time believing that Angelos may actually allow a deal? :002_smad:

This offer from Houston is exhibit A as to why, if they're going to trade Tejada, now is not the time. Trading Tejada for a couple of solid, but not great, pitching prospects, an all-field, no bat shortstop and a double A outfield prospect would be crazy. There will be much better offers out there this winter.

I agree. If the Orioles keep him, they can atleast go after some FA or some other moves to improve the team. If it looks like they can't land anyone big that helps make the team better quicker, then they can dump him for a better package.

Regarding trading Tejada at the deadline or in the off-season... I really think the buyers would be more motivated at the deadline... Case in point, the Astros are contenders and Clemens biological clock is ticking... (:D )

I think Houston should add Troy Patton...

Patton seems like a very good prospect...Probably better than Hirsh IMO.

Hadn't seen his stats before but they are impressive.

Partton, Hirsh and Pence is a pretty solid offer....Still would be nice to make it a 3 way trade and get Shealy from the Rockies as well.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0607230094jul23,1,1599247.column?coll=cs-baseball-print

Apparently the Cubs haven't learned that all speed/no hit/no on base guys in CF are not worth it. They are interested in Tavarez.

Maybe they could get something good from the Cubs for Tavarez and send us that player along with Patton, Pence and Hirsh.

I'm really glad the Orioles are looking for 3 major league ready players for Tejada. I think its smart and it shows that if they deal Tejada they want to improve by getting younger talent.

"Orioles: The Astros have shown interest in shortstop Miguel Tejada, but the Orioles are reportedly seeking three major league-ready players in return. "

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-alside0723.artjul23,0,2697550.story?coll=hc-headlines-baseball

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0607230094jul23,1,1599247.column?coll=cs-baseball-print

Apparently the Cubs haven't learned that all speed/no hit/no on base guys in CF are not worth it. They are interested in Tavarez.

Maybe they could get something good from the Cubs for Tavarez and send us that player along with Patton, Pence and Hirsh.

How about Nate Spears and Carlos Perez.

The original deal really isn't too bad.

Hirsh is probably ready to pitch now. He doesn't have a great K rate, but he seems to have the ability to limit good contact against him. The fact that he is pitching as well as he is in the PCL is also impressive.

Pence I think is the best player in the deal. He is a little better than Reimold. He doesn't walk as much, but he strikes out less, hits for a higher average and is performing very well in AA so far this year.

Nieve is already in the majors and doing a solid job there. Gives up too many HRs but that may change once he gets out of Houston. Plus, he is only 24.

I would prefer something else other than Everett, but I'll take him if I have to.

It probably does need something a little extra...as SG said, Estrada does look very appealing, and it doesn't seem this year is a fluke. He has very high K rates, as well as low H/9 throughout his minor league career.

Not bad, and I would do it if we all of a sudden decided to rebuild and wanted to start now, but no way Angelos approves of a deal like that.

The original deal really isn't too bad.

Hirsh is probably ready to pitch now. He doesn't have a great K rate, but he seems to have the ability to limit good contact against him. The fact that he is pitching as well as he is in the PCL is also impressive.

Pence I think is the best player in the deal. He is a little better than Reimold. He doesn't walk as much, but he strikes out less, hits for a higher average and is performing very well in AA so far this year.

Nieve is already in the majors and doing a solid job there. Gives up too many HRs but that may change once he gets out of Houston. Plus, he is only 24.

I would prefer something else other than Everett, but I'll take him if I have to.

It probably does need something a little extra...as SG said, Estrada does look very appealing, and it doesn't seem this year is a fluke. He has very high K rates, as well as low H/9 throughout his minor league career.

Not bad, and I would do it if we all of a sudden decided to rebuild and wanted to start now, but no way Angelos approves of a deal like that.

What if instead of Everett they threw in Ensberg?

Here is a thought on the Cubs....What if they traded ARam, as has been talked about...What if they can get back a few of the Angels top prospects for him...Say they get Adenhart, Aybar and McPherson for him....They could then flip Aybar for Tavarez(not a trade i would do if i were the Cubs but i could see the Cubbies doing it) and then we can get Patton, Hirsh, Aybar and Pence for Tejada.

Archived