Sun: O's swap Wolf for Fox

Moose Milligan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not forget the A's were trying to convert him to catcher as well.

I wonder if this might mean Wieters might be going down to AAA, with Tatum as the full time catcher and Fox as the backup.

It would explain why Atkins would still be on the roster.

Bergy up, Wieters down would be my prediction...

You should use a smilie when you make a joke. Otherwise people might misunderstand and think you were serious.

Well there goes my Atkins + 1 C+-ish BP arm (Brandon Cooney?) to the D'Backs for C Chris Snyder and $3M.

Atkins' salary would have been about evenly swapped for Snyder's this year. The Orioles would have also had a back up C who could actually hit for 1 yr / $3.5M (including 2012 buyout). Diamondbacks get a quality BP arm and save themselves $3.5M, while the Orioles $4.5M invested into Atkins doesn't turn into a total waste for the rest of the season.

Snyder may be able to play first, allow Wieters to DH more... or pinch hit.

But Jake Fox pretty much kills that (my) idea.

Well there goes my Atkins + 1 C+-ish BP arm (Brandon Cooney?) to the D'Backs for C Chris Snyder and $3M.

Atkins' salary would have been about evenly swapped for Snyder's this year. The Orioles would have also had a back up C who could actually hit for 1 yr / $3.5M (including 2012 buyout). Diamondbacks get a quality BP arm and save themselves $3.5M, while the Orioles $4.5M invested into Atkins doesn't turn into a total waste for the rest of the season.

Snyder may be able to play first, allow Wieters to DH more... or pinch hit.

But Jake Fox pretty much kills that (my) idea.

Actually, it's comprable to your idea.

Snyder would have been a nice pickup for your reasons, but I doubt an organization that is in the midst of fire-sale rumors would take on Atkins. No-one will. All signs point to him being done.

Fox allows the flexibility you want at C for MW to DH more (I agree with a lot of people here that he'll hit but may need less innings behind the plate).

Fox (along with Moore) also brings options in the infield to move Wiggy and/or Tejada in trade. Come July, Fox could also be a good player to platoon or at least give Bell an off-day against tough lefties.

Fox also has the ability to hit his way into this lineup -and not just the bottom third of it either. He had 11 HR and 44 RBI while hitting .259 in a little over 200 AB last year.

Actually, it's comprable to your idea.

Snyder would have been a nice pickup for your reasons, but I doubt an organization that is in the midst of fire-sale rumors would take on Atkins. No-one will. All signs point to him being done.

Fox allows the flexibility you want at C for MW to DH more (I agree with a lot of people here that he'll hit but may need less innings behind the plate).

Fox (along with Moore) also brings options in the infield to move Wiggy and/or Tejada in trade. Come July, Fox could also be a good player to platoon or at least give Bell an off-day against tough lefties.

Fox also has the ability to hit his way into this lineup -and not just the bottom third of it either. He had 11 HR and 44 RBI while hitting .259 in a little over 200 AB last year.

Agreed. However, the basis of the trade is that they would be saving $3.5M (no matter what they decide what to do with Atkins) while gaining a prospect.

Which option is better? If my trade idea was an option

a.) Atkins stays. Cost ~$2,538,333.33

b.) Atkins cut. Cost ~$2,767,962.96 (Atkins remaining salary + prorated min. salary of replacement player)

c.) Atkins traded for Chris Snyder. Cost: ~$6,168,209.88. and a C+ pitching prospect. Includes Snyder being on roster for 2011.

Just for arguments sake, let's say that the Atkins + 1 for Snyder trade was actually an option. Which option do you choose?

Do you just write off the $2.5-$2.75M due to Atkins... or do you add ~$3.5M to get production from the original investment at the cost of a C+ prospect.

Agreed.

Which option is better? If my trade idea was an option

a.) Atkins stays. Cost ~$2,538,333.33

b.) Atkins cut. Cost ~$2,767,962.96 (Atkins remaining salary + prorated min. salary of replacement player)

c.) Atkins traded for Chris Snyder. Cost: ~$6,168,209.88. and a C+ pitching prospect. Includes Snyder being on roster for 2011.

Just for arguments sake, let's say that the Atkins + 1 for Snyder trade was actually an option (The D'backs would save themselves close to $3.5M...). Which option do you choose?

Do you just write off the $2.5-$2.75M due to Atkins... or do you add ~$3.5M to get production from the original investment at the cost of a C+ prospect.

Meh, if they can manage to land anything in return for Atkins, AM deserves to be in consideration for used-car-salesman of the year. I'd have already cut him .... eating $3 million stinks (less than 5 percent of players salaries), but not as much as blocking actual major league talent.

I would like to see Brandon Snyder here soon..... Both he and Bell have been hitting in AAA and we have Guzman tearing up Bowie..... room needs to be made; and we can start that process by clearing out the dead weight.

It's the most exciting thing to happen in some time... that just goes to show you the sad state of affairs. :D

Plus Fox appears to be a solid resrve type who can at least be better than Atkins in the interim.

Anyone think this suggests a trade of Wigginton (Rockies?) or Scott may be in the works?

I like the Fox trade, but....

I would like to see him go to Norfolk and get some at bats. He is telling us straight out that he needs playing time to produce. He should get his swing going at AAA.

I think I am going to hate him in the field. 3B for sure and probably first are not spots that I think he will do well. Please no outfield. He is a DH and a backup catcher in my opinion. I hope he is better then that but I think he is going to worse then Wiggy in the field and I can bearly stand to watch Wiggy out there.

I think Fox will be a good DH when Scott and/or Wiggy is traded. Bat is his projected position IMO.

I like the Fox trade, but....

I would like to see him go to Norfolk and get some at bats. He is telling us straight out that he needs playing time to produce. He should get his swing going at AAA.

I think I am going to hate him in the field. 3B for sure and probably first are not spots that I think he will do well. Please no outfield. He is a DH and a backup catcher in my opinion. I hope he is better then that but I think he is going to worse then Wiggy in the field and I can bearly stand to watch Wiggy out there.

I think Fox will be a good DH when Scott and/or Wiggy is traded. Bat is his projected position IMO.

He projects to be a bench or role player now and in the future. I see no reason to send him down. They just can't let him rot on the bench.

Archived