The Upcoming 'Tony-OH Expose' Timeline...

Greg Pappas

I'm starting to feel a little bad for Tony. He's got to be in a tough position here -- wanting to protect his sources and still share some amazing information with the Hangout. Maybe he will really be able to spill the beans, but I just hope everybody remembers the Titanic analogies if Tony cannot go much further than identifying the tip of the iceberg that has crippled us. There would have to be A LOT more beneath the surface.

I can't wait.

I think clues are there to be deciphered through reading what he has had to say thus far. Tony has made it very clear that it's quite important, it's upset him a great deal, and that it needs to be brought to the public's attention. Fortunately, we here at the Hangout are that public, and as well we are most fortunate that Tony cares so deeply about this.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does anyone still think the Ken Rosenthal article did not have some truth? I know some think he hates Angelos but his kids used to be O's fans and he usually does not make stuff up.

Did anyone hear Jim Hunter saying that Bordick is now training the infielders. Bordick will teach them the right way and learn to win. The team is emphazing fundamentals. Also Bruce Kison is scouting the O's. He is an advance scout. I thought it was weird that we are trying to change things in our fundamentals and help the system. I asked someone I know and he said the O's are circling the bases. I am not sure what that meant but some weird things are going on. I guess the O's want to prove they have a good develop process in place. I wonder if the O's are getting a little nervous about some more bad press.

Remembering how the warden ended up, sorry--I don't like the comparison.

"I like to think the last thing that went through his head...other than that bullet...was to wonder how the hell JTrea81 ever got the best of him."

I dont think thats the case at all. I believe that part of the deal in getting the expos to DC was that MLB would gaurantee the O's would be worth a certain amount, like 600m or somthing to that effect.

I don't think that's right. I think the minimum sale price was talked about, but never made it into the final agreement.

I think clues are there to be deciphered through reading what he has had to say thus far. Tony has made it very clear that it's quite important, it's upset him a great deal, and that it needs to be brought to the public's attention. Fortunately, we here at the Hangout are that public, and as well we are most fortunate that Tony cares so deeply about this.

Greg, I can't wait for Tony to publish this article. This has been such a tough year to be an O's fan, and this lack of direction is not only stunting the growth of the young core, but it could have longer term negative effects. Guys like Weiters, Jones, Matusz and Arrieta, who are the core of the future might be permantently harmed if Andy doesn't step up and make some moves between now and the trading deadline.

I think it did. I want to say it was $350 million. EDIT: It's $365 million. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17271-2005Mar31_2.html

Yep, you're exactly right - I was just about to post the same link. Lots of other interesting stuff in that article (written in 2005), too.

The Red Sox have spent 20 years building the New England Sports Network. Their equity in the network -- if it was sold -- is probably worth about $200 million. If you work backwards from that number, it implies that NESN makes about $12 to $15 million a year in free cash flow. That's a guesstimate, but it's certainly in the right ballpark. Only the Yanks have truly astronomical TV revenue streams. Everybody else plays in a smaller park.

If the new Mid-Atlantic Sports Network is someday a truly big success -- like NESN -- the Orioles would get two-thirds of the profits instead of, say, a 50-50 split with Washington. So how much is that? Do the arithmetic. The Orioles might get $8 to $10 million of the $12 to $15 million in profit instead of just half of it, which would be $6 to $7.5 million. So, this whole fight may get the Orioles a couple of million dollars extra a year someday.

If the network is a flop, like the one the Twins tried to start last year, Angelos is obligated for all of the losses. The Orioles have greater profit potential. But the Nats can't lose.

The deal was structured this way to encourage high bids for the Nationals from potential owners who can envision, someday, owning as much as a third of a healthy RSN, but taking on no risk when they buy the franchise.

While a team may make money from a profitable regional sports network, the bulk of its TV revenues are far more likely to come from its plain vanilla TV rights fees. According to industry sources, the Orioles currently receive $16 million to $17 million a year in such fees. The Nationals will be guaranteed $20 million to $21 million by MLB in '05.

Guaranteed is the key word. "Under this agreement, the Nationals will be the only team in baseball that is guaranteed a fair-market price for its TV rights. The price will be reset every five years," said a source with knowledge of the deal. The new rights fee would not be influenced by Angelos, but rather would be determined by the three-member Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee. To simplify: That's Bud's stacked jury, not Peter's.

Greg, I can't wait for Tony to publish this article. This has been such a tough year to be an O's fan, and this lack of direction is not only stunting the growth of the young core, but it could have longer term negative effects. Guys like Weiters, Jones, Matusz and Arrieta, who are the core of the future might be permantently harmed if Andy doesn't step up and make some moves between now and the trading deadline.

I completely understand. Most here at the Hangout are looking forward to Tony's report. I also feel that leaving the current coaching staff in place throughout the remainder of the season could be detrimental to these impressionable youngsters.

I completely understand. Most here at the Hangout are looking forward to Tony's report. I also feel that leaving the current coaching staff in place throughout the remainder of the season could be detrimental to these impressionable youngsters.

Get a new manager by the All Star break. We have to hope for a new way and new philosphy.

So does anyone still think the Ken Rosenthal article did not have some truth? I know some think he hates Angelos but his kids used to be O's fans and he usually does not make stuff up.

Did anyone hear Jim Hunter saying that Bordick is now training the infielders. Bordick will teach them the right way and learn to win. The team is emphazing fundamentals. Also Bruce Kison is scouting the O's. He is an advance scout. I thought it was weird that we are trying to change things in our fundamentals and help the system. I asked someone I know and he said the O's are circling the bases. I am not sure what that meant but some weird things are going on. I guess the O's want to prove they have a good develop process in place. I wonder if the O's are getting a little nervous about some more bad press.

(Bordick) That's nothing new, it's been going on since Spring Training, and longer really because he was doing it as a consultant before. They also brought Deveraux in to be the hitting coach in Delmarva.

(Bordick) That's nothing new, it's been going on since Spring Training, and longer really because he was doing it as a consultant before. They also brought Deveraux in to be the hitting coach in Delmarva.

Bordick is now teaching Scott Moore to play second. Hopefully he can teach him how to throw on a double play.

Or Tony posts a "nevermind, false alarm!" as he speeds off in his hush-money Ferrari ;)

8v4tC.png

Too funny! I don't think the Orioles give out that kind of money though! :D

As for the story, I just ask for everyone's patience. I can not and will not rush this until I get all sides. I have no desire to run a character assassination or to deliver something that I'm not willing to stand behind 100 percent.

I know it's tough to wait, and I want to get this stuff out, but at the same time, I would not be doing my due diligence if I did not work on corroboration as well as giving the Orioles a chance to respond before it's published. This will take time so please, just hang in there.

Too funny! I don't think the Orioles give out that kind of money though! :D

As for the story, I just ask for everyone's patience. I can not and will not rush this until I get all sides. I have no desire to run a character assassination or to deliver something that I'm not willing to stand behind 100 percent.

I know it's tough to wait, and I want to get this stuff out, but at the same time, I would not be doing my due diligence if I did not work on corroboration as well as giving the Orioles a chance to respond before it's published. This will take time so please, just hang in there.

Take your time. The Orioles will probably deny it like the Cal stories.

Archived