Rendon and an Ace?

I know some people have proposed this... and I know the rational for not doing this, but I have thought about this a lot and I think this would be our best idea for the next two years... What's this?

• Do not sign Machado (people say it will take about 5 million or so to sign him, so you take that money and invest it for next year's draft)
  • Finish with the worst record in the Majors this year - seems pretty easy the way we're playing.
  • Next year: Take Rendon first overall (if he continues to be great/stays healthy), then with the fourth overall pick grab Cole, Jungmann, Bauer, or Purke (whoever's available/performed the best).
  • Then you sign the two players as fast as you can (use the five million from the year before to sign the pitcher plus a little and how much you would normally budget for a draft to sign Rendon).

I know that people have talked about this not being a wise idea, since the player would have the leverage, however, the more I have read on Machado the more I think this would be the best decision for the team in the long-run. The team still lacks an ace, and one would likely be available at no. 4 overall next year, whereas Machado may not develop (especially in our system) or he may have to move to 3B. If he moves to 3B, and we have Bell and Rendon as well, what are we going to do? He also likely won't be ready until 2014/15, and I'm pretty sure one of the pitchers would be ready faster. I know it's a difficult decision, and it would require Angelos to open the checkbook but I think it would be a wise move for the oranization, especially if you consider how much we save every year by not signing legit talent at the ML level.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know some people have proposed this... and I know the rational for not doing this, but I have thought about this a lot and I think this would be our best idea for the next two years... What's this?
  • Do not sign Machado (people say it will take about 5 million or so to sign him, so you take that money and invest it for next year's draft)
  • Finish with the worst record in the Majors this year - seems pretty easy the way we're playing.
  • Next year: Take Rendon first overall (if he continues to be great/stays healthy), then with the fourth overall pick grab Cole, Jungmann, Bauer, or Purke (whoever's available/performed the best).
  • Then you sign the two players as fast as you can (use the five million from the year before to sign the pitcher plus a little and how much you would normally budget for a draft to sign Rendon).

I know that people have talked about this not being a wise idea, since the player would have the leverage, however, the more I have read on Machado the more I think this would be the best decision for the team in the long-run. The team still lacks an ace, and one would likely be available at no. 4 overall next year, whereas Machado may not develop (especially in our system) or he may have to move to 3B. If he moves to 3B, and we have Bell and Rendon as well, what are we going to do? He also likely won't be ready for 2014/15, and I'm pretty sure one of the pitchers would be ready faster. I know it's a difficult decision, and it would require Angelos to open the checkbook but I think it would be a wise move for the oranization, especially if you consider how much we save every year by not signing legit talent at the ML level.

I'm definitely onboard with this idea because Machado, if he pans out, is going to take a minimum of 4 years to develop. Getting two impact guys in here who could be in Baltimore by 2013 is very, very appealing:)

I'm definitely onboard with this idea because Machado, if he pans out, is going to take a minimum of 4 years to develop. Getting two impact guys in here who could be in Baltimore by 2013 is very, very appealing:)

I agree, Machado would be a perfect choice for the Yankees to eventually replace Jeter but the Orioles need help NOW! The problem is this makes to much damn sense so of course the Orioles will never consider it (or probably even think of it to begin with).:(

It depends on your view of Machado, I guess. If you think he's the next Jeter, you sign him even if you have to wait 4 years for him to reach the majors. Obviously the O's thought he was worth waiting for compared to signing Colon.

It depends on your view of Machado, I guess. If you think he's the next Jeter, you sign him even if you have to wait 4 years for him to reach the majors. Obviously the O's thought he was worth waiting for compared to signing Colon.

Yes it does... but I've read what a lot of different scouts think about him, and it leads me to believe that one of the pitchers next year will be a much better pick, only time will tell.

I brought this exact idea up and I just dont see it happening. We would go after a slot easy sign guy at number 4, esp. if you consider how much it would cost to get Rendon in Orange and Black. I even started a little poll and almost everyone said they would take Rendon/Jungmann over Rendon/Machado. I would love Cole or Purke but I see them going 2-3. The issue is that if you take Purke esp him only being a freshman and Soph next year he could very easily return like he did out of high school. If we could some how land Rendon/Cole or Rendon/Purke or Rendon/Jungmann you have to do it. This is all totally based on ratings now too. I mean who would have thought this time last year Machado would be in the top 3 or Grandal, Sale, Loux for that matter. Im sure some HS players will come to the top of the list. Dan Norris, Travis Harrison, Archie Bradley, Dylan Bundy, or Christian Lopes, could very easily jump into the top 10 even top 3 with good seasons. Norris and Harrison are already being talked about in the top 10. I could see them signing someone that will go for slot, sign quick and move fast through the system just like the nats, then again the nats were picking at 10. If Cole, Purke, Jungmann, or even Bauer (not a huge fan) and we dont take them there would be alot of mad hangouters esp. Cole or Purke.

Being the laughing stock of baseball already, not signing your #1 pick is bad business and just reiterates your cheap. Good luck getting any agent to take you serious ever.

So I guess its likely since its Angelos and the O's

Being the laughing stock of baseball already, not signing your #1 pick is bad business and just reiterates your cheap. Good luck getting any agent to take you serious ever.

So I guess its likely since its Angelos and the O's

Your right...it really got in the way of the Nats and the Strasburg negotiations.

Your right...it really got in the way of the Nats and the Strasburg negotiations.

9th pick like Crowe and 3rd pick when the TOP 3 were locks is a totally different ball game....why even bother drafting if your goal is not to sign the kid.

I know that people have talked about this not being a wise idea, since the player would have the leverage, however, the more I have read on Machado the more I think this would be the best decision for the team in the long-run. The team still lacks an ace, and one would likely be available at no. 4 overall next year, whereas Machado may not develop (especially in our system) or he may have to move to 3B. If he moves to 3B, and we have Bell and Rendon as well, what are we going to do? He also likely won't be ready until 2014/15, and I'm pretty sure one of the pitchers would be ready faster. I know it's a difficult decision, and it would require Angelos to open the checkbook but I think it would be a wise move for the oranization, especially if you consider how much we save every year by not signing legit talent at the ML level.

I wouldn't expect us to take the highest ranked pitcher with that 4th pick, instead looking for someone that is easier to sign, but even if we did have the guts to take the highest rated player in each slot, the part I bolded above is impossible. Coming up with a contract that both sides agree with isn't the only thinging pushing back the signing dates. If a deal is more than a little bit over the suggested slot, Bud Selig & MLB won't approve the contract until the signing deadline for fear of giving everyone else a new baseline with time to negotiate off of.

9th pick like Crowe and 3rd pick when the TOP 3 were locks is a totally different ball game....why even bother drafting if your goal is not to sign the kid.

Either way, it didn't stand in the Nats way of getting a deal done with Strasburg. My goal wouldn't be to not sign the kid but I'd have it in the back of my mind if Boras tries to go crazy on the bonus figures. Machado is not such a prospect (think Strasburg, Harper, etc.) that he has to be signed at all costs; he's just not on that level.

Bad idea in my opinion, everybody on this board and every media outlet that has any knowledge on our farm system knows we have great pitching prospects but no hitting prospects. We might not have that ace, but I do not see what the problem with a 2-2-2-3-3 type rotation.

Where our problem been is our left side of the infield, and now that we have a potential solution you guys want to give it away. Rendon and Machado could be a great tandem at the left side of the infield if they furfill there potential.

Plus anything could happen between now and June, any one of those pitchers could have a bad year or worse sustain an injury. Next thing you know we give up a potentially all star caliber SS for a MOR pitcher.

I think its a bad idea for a number of reasons. 1 being that Rendon alone will cost atleast $6M or even higher. Then, you are gonna have agents trying to compare the top college arms next year to Prior and Stras to get max money for them. I would say between Rendon and Cole/Purke/Jungmann you are gonna be talking atleast $12M. Expect to see the O's pay that much? Plus, you lose a year of development time for Machado who really isn't a bad pick at all. He has patience at the plate, power potential, a very quick short swing, good fluid motions at SS with a very good arm. He is worth the pick...

Yes we need an ace, but we need to realize that these pitchers developing into aces isn't cut and dry. IMO Purke doesn't look like a true ace. Cole has the ceiling of one, but also has a ways to go to become one and the adjustments necessary to become one are pretty tough obstacles. Jungmann IMO has the best chance because he projects to have good comnmand with plus pitches across the board....

Our best chance to grab an ace(if we are set on Rendon) went out the window in the last draft when Taillon was picked first and other potential aces went afterwards. And the ones who went after 1:3 are far from slam dunks, but IMO Harvey has true ace potential, but was knocked down due to inconsistency in his track record, but IMO he was the best draft eligible SP prospect from college last year....

Bad idea in my opinion, everybody on this board and every media outlet that has any knowledge on our farm system knows we have great pitching prospects but no hitting prospects. We might not have that ace, but I do not see what the problem with a 2-2-2-3-3 type rotation.

Where our problem been is our left side of the infield, and now that we have a potential solution you guys want to give it away. Rendon and Machado could be a great tandem at the left side of the infield if they furfill there potential.

Plus anything could happen between now and June, any one of those pitchers could have a bad year or worse sustain an injury. Next thing you know we give up a potentially all star caliber SS for a MOR pitcher.

I agree with all of this, and if you throw in Hoes and Bell who could project to man the right side of the IF, we have a VERY sweet looking IF to go along with our top notch OF and solid SP staff we should have.

Remember guys, just because a pitcher has TOR stuff, doesn't mean everything. Jake Arrieta was projected to be a top 15 pick in the 07 draft. Of course, his stuff took a slight regression and dropped to the 5th round for us to grab him(in which he made some adjustments and regained his former velo/stuff). He had and has TOR stuff, maybe comparable stuff to Bauer or even Jungmann, but until he made his MAJOR adjustments this year, he was looking more like a mid rotation arm or back ender in the pen. And he still may end up being a mid rotation arm, we won't know for a year or so IMO......

Archived