Duquette speaks again

El Gordo

I think he is one of the most frustrated players on the team. He works his butt off in the offseason, he studies pitchers intently, and he takes a lot of pride in his game. But I'd say he's probably dying for a ticket out of Baltimore.
That doesn't mean he isn't doing all that hard work for himself. Luke doesn't strike me as a guy who would change his approach to help the team in a game situation. That's what I mean. Of course winning is almost pointless now, so why not play for your numbers? But who are the guys still trying to win in spite of that?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roberts would be a name I would expect, but he's been away from the team for so long.

I think Millwood is #1 just because of the reports he's been out on the town in bars before his starts and is a rent a player who is gone after 2010. I think after the first month he probably decided it wasn't worth trying 100% anymore for a team that wouldn't support him and wasn't going anywhere.

Where did you see this?

I think Millwood is #1 just because of the reports he's been out on the town in bars before his starts

I haven't heard that one, where did it come from? To me, Millwood has been nothing but professional. But if starting off 0-8 despite pitching very well at times won't drive him to drink, I don't know what will.

I would be looking first at guys who are probably in their last season of MLB and who therefore have nothing at all to play for.

Hendrickson and Atkins for starters. Although Atkins has played so little, it would be hard to imagine he has much effect.

Wasn't Hendrickson the guy, along with Millwood, who called the early season players' only meeting? He would make sense from the perspective of having been in TB all that time, but I thought we had heard about him showing some leadership, at least on the pitching staff.

I think Scott is one of the guys. No one is saying he is lazy. He works really hard. But that's not what this is about.

Just listened to Duque on XM(he's more fun direct than he was via BigBird) say he can think of 3 players off the top of his head, who are used to losing, playing for their paycheck, and should be off the team ASAP for the sake of the clubhouse. Who would you say they were? Lugo comes to mind first for me. Albers? Scott? Ohman?

And how would he know this?

Though he may be right; heck, I would think the number would be higher (maybe Cla tanked it to get out of here).

The only thing less useful than Duquette's cowardly comments is all of us guessing at who he was talking about.

I don't think lack of effort is a problem for any of the players that we care about going forward.

I think Millwood is #1 just because of the reports he's been out on the town in bars before his starts and is a rent a player who is gone after 2010. I think after the first month he probably decided it wasn't worth trying 100% anymore for a team that wouldn't support him and wasn't going anywhere.

All players go to bars. I can name other players who are at the bars alot more then Millwood. Where did you hear this?

All players go to bars. I can name other players who are at the bars alot more then Millwood. Where did you hear this?

If I had to be the ace of the staff on this bum team, I'd drink a lot too.

The only thing less useful than Duquette's cowardly comments is all of us guessing at who he was talking about.

I don't think lack of effort is a problem for any of the players that we care about going forward.

That's what I was thinking. If Duquette wants to name names that's one thing, otherwise he's just instigating.

I don't see how Nick is just playing for a paycheck.

He obviously cares.

And BRob obviously isn't doing that...he isn't playing right now and could have walked away and not signed an extension.

I think Nick cares, but he's just gotten used to losing because he realizes can't do anything about it if his team isn't performing around him.

Roberts got a pretty sweet deal, right at market value. Figgins didn't really get that much and he was a better player. BRob knew there was a chance he wouldn't be able to get that deal on the open market. But I agree he's having a zero effect on the clubhouse right now because he isn't there...

Roberts would be a name I would expect, but he's been away from the team for so long.

Markakis would be #2 just because he's been here for so long, and probably the losing over all those years has brought him down.

Guthrie is the third one IMO as we have heard he and Trembley didn't see eye to eye.

This kind of crap is irresponsible. If you can't give a source for this kind of stuff you shouldn't say it.:cussing:

I think Nick cares, but he's just gotten used to losing because he realizes can't do anything about it if his team isn't performing around him.
But that doesn't mean he is just playing for a paycheck. Players playing for a paycheck don't come out and say the things Nick did last week.
Roberts got a pretty sweet deal, right at market value. Figgins didn't really get that much and he was a better player
Wrong..BRob has been better but Figgins was coming off a better year...Their deals are relatively comparable, as they should have been. BRob may or may not have gotten 40 million but he likely gets 30-35 million.

Either way, he can't be the guy here because he isn't playing at all.

Speaking of Duquette,this is a good cause for this Saturday.

Former Orioles executive Jim Duquette and his family will participate in the NephCure Walk on Saturday outside Camden Yards. The event raises money to benefit The NephCure Foundation, which seeks a cure for the kidney diseases FSGS (focal segmental glomerulosclerosis) and nephrotic syndrome. Duquette's 8-year-old daughter, Lindsey, suffers from FSGS. Registration is at 12:30 p.m. at Sliders Bar & Grill. The walk around the perimeter of Camden Yards will begin at 2 p.m., with participants entering the ballpark around 3:30 p.m. for the 4 p.m. game against the Washington Nationals. Walkers will receive game tickets based on pledge money raised. For information, go to thenephcure@walk.org, call Greg Wiley at 610-540-0186 ext. 16 or e-mail him at gwiley@nephcure.org.

Just listened to Duque on XM(he's more fun direct than he was via BigBird)

What makes you think he was Bigbird? If you ever read some of Bigbird's posts he sounds like he's a whiny ass baby. I'd hope we didn't have a guy like that running the show for this team. That would be extremely troublesome if that is true.

Archived