Great News!

PaulBako

I never said UM would actually leave the ACC....just said that if the Big Ten is interested in UM then they probably will have some sort of conversation with the new leadership.

I wasn't intimating that you do, although I guess it came across as that way but I was just stating flatly that it wouldn't happen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Maryland rejects an offer to join the big 10 I will go crazy. Hopefully the new AD and prez will be pro big 10 or keep his/her mouth shut.

Better get yourself fit for a straight jacket then because it ain't happening. Why do you want to go to the Big 10 anyway??

Better get yourself fit for a straight jacket then because it ain't happening. Why do you want to go to the Big 10 anyway??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What's money for them matter to you?

Honest question, because I don't understand why this would be important for a fan of the college's teams.

Classic stuff in there.

What was most interesting was her behavior the night of The Children’s Charities Foundation banquet in December. I was seated at a table with the coaches who would be playing in the BB+T Classic the next day, including Gary and Villanova’s Jay Wright. Yow was at the next table. At no point during the evening did she acknowledge the presence of her basketball coach or say hello to him. Within seconds of his getting up to leave—I mean SECONDS—she raced back to our table to lavish a warm welcome on Wright. It was stunning.

That's just pitiful.

She even went so far as to “nominate,” Williams for the basketball Hall of Fame last month, an absolute grandstand play if there’s ever been one. Debbie Yow nominating Gary Williams for the Hall of Fame is the equivalent of Tiger Woods nominating me for The Pulitzer Prize. No one bought that act—especially Williams, who was as close to speechless as he ever gets when the subject came up.

:laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol:

I am perturbed over the whole Cottle thing now though. I honestly don't feel strongly about him either way, but it bugs me that Yow made this decision when she had to have had a pretty good idea that she wasn't going to stick around. And she sure as hell should not have been involved in hiring the new coach. It wouldn't surprise me if word got out in coaching circles that she was on her way out and that's why several candidates withdrew or declined consideration. And it's also probably why she was only able to lure a coach with 2 years HC experience at a lower-tier lacrosse school, and needed to hand him a 7-year contract to take the job.

I won't even get into the state that she's left the football program in. :puke:

What's money for them matter to you?

Honest question, because I don't understand why this would be important for a fan of the college's teams.

Well, better facilities, more money to buyout coaches, ect. This university needs the money.

Also for a fans perspective, how about kissing raycom and espn3 goodbye? Hello to games on espn and the Big 10 network, which does in fact have Gus Johnson and has a HD that doesn't look like it was from the 90's! No more crappy HD and terrible announcer (such as Mike Hogwood and Mike Gyminski), going on your computer to watch Terp football games, and more money fr the university to improve your sports.

Well, better facilities, more money to buyout coaches, ect. This university needs the money.

Also for a fans perspective, how about kissing raycom and espn3 goodbye? Hello to games on espn and the Big 10 network, which does in fact have Gus Johnson and has a HD that doesn't look like it was from the 90's! No more crappy HD and terrible announcer (such as Mike Hogwood and Mike Gyminski), going on your computer to watch Terp football games, and more money fr the university to improve your sports.

Raycom is gone now; it's all ESPN. Of course, that could just mean more games on "ESPN 3".

I have absolutely no affiliation with the school, but I always like to root for the Terps, as I watch almost all of their basketball games.

But here's my thinking on the possibility of the Big 10. I've always considered Maryland to be more of a basketball school than a football school. Gary Williams leads his team to a top-5 ACC finish almost every year. The ACC is almost unanimously agreed upon as the best basketball conference in the country. The Big 10: not so much. Maryland football has not had good seasons in recent years. While I admit I don't follow the football team at all, a quick look at the standings (and the ACC is not in the "elite" category in terms of football) tells you the team isn't that good. Going up against much much stiffer competition in the Big 10 will not help that record.

When I think Maryland basketball, I think of the games against Duke and UNC. You lose all of that the move to the Big 10. IMO, the only reason that conference wants UMD is because of a new TV market (Baltimore/DC) and maybe a boost for the basketball conference. But for Maryland fans, I can't see how you'd be able to let go of those rivalries formed in the ACC.

I have absolutely no affiliation with the school, but I always like to root for the Terps, as I watch almost all of their basketball games.

But here's my thinking on the possibility of the Big 10. I've always considered Maryland to be more of a basketball school than a football school. Gary Williams leads his team to a top-5 ACC finish almost every year. The ACC is almost unanimously agreed upon as the best basketball conference in the country. The Big 10: not so much. Maryland football has not had good seasons in recent years. While I admit I don't follow the football team at all, a quick look at the standings (and the ACC is not in the "elite" category in terms of football) tells you the team isn't that good. Going up against much much stiffer competition in the Big 10 will not help that record.

When I think Maryland basketball, I think of the games against Duke and UNC. You lose all of that the move to the Big 10. IMO, the only reason that conference wants UMD is because of a new TV market (Baltimore/DC) and maybe a boost for the basketball conference. But for Maryland fans, I can't see how you'd be able to let go of those rivalries formed in the ACC.

You're right about MD being a basketball school. And football-wise they would struggle even more in the Big-10, not just on the field but recruiting too....they would have to try and recruit in all new territories, and as we know, recruiting isn't exactly a strength to begin with. But if I had to guess, if the Big 10 invited MD the administration would at least give it serious thought. That doesn't mean I think they'd actually go, but with the revenue possibilities I don't see how they could just dismiss it right off the bat. And while rivalries are nice for fans and players (basketball that is, MD doesn't even have a rival in football), as we've seen elsewhere rivalries don't quite mean as much for the people who make these decisions.

The ACC basketball wise isn't the same after expansion. dding those 3, football oriented schools did not help. Round robin is gone and VT, BC, and the U degraded the overall basketball quality. Anyways, the big 10 does have some good basketball schools. MSU is usually very good, and hey, that could be our new rival. Indiana will be back soon and they will be a pretty damn good team once they get Brad Stevens. OSU is also usually good, and now are at the top of the confrence now with the ultra recruiter Thad Matta. Illinois and Purdue are both basketball schools who are decent, no different than facing Wake Forest or Georgia Tech. And Minnestoa and Wisconsinhave fine teams. (oh if the big10 expands further they might add cuse, another great program). Of course we would have to face the likes of Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Northwestern, and Nebraska, but in the ACC we have to face Boston College, NC State, Fla State, Clemson, Miami...

Of course with football, we won't be good, but Byrd will have good crowds with the top football programs coming in (OSU, UM, NU, UPS, Iowa) yeah, it will be filled with fans of the opposing team, but the seats will be filled. Oh, and maybe add Notre Dame. And I do think we have a better football program than Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, (maybe Minny but they just built a sweet new stadium).

If we leave the ACC to go to the big 10 (<10% chance) I don't think the basketball quality will really be degraded, losing dook and unc will hurt, but it will still be a solid conference, and if we go alongside Cuse it will get even stronger. The football quality will go way up, and the academics will be the same or better. Oh, and the university will get much more revenue money from the big 10.

Anyways, look at this scenario. It ain't likely, but it could happen. Let's say Fla State, Clem, and the U get raided by the SEC. the ACC is forced to expand to go along with the super confrences and considers adding ECU, WVU, and UCONN. While the big 10 adds ND, Cuse and Rutgers and invites MD. As a fan would somebody want to go to the sweet new big 10, or stay in the new ACC, aka the BOD, bag of dicks conference?

He's not a winner... Never could get over the hump and win a championship. His teams always chocked when it really counted. He was widely disliked. His firing was pretty uniformly approved.
No Nattys or even a finals appearance= failure at a lacrosse program like Maryland. 99-45 isn't a good record here anyways.

If your only criteria is national titles than there aren't many winners out there. Dave has the highest winning percentage of any MD Lax coach. Here's how many titles MD has had 2 with the last coming in 1975. You guys have unrealistic expectations about this team if your looking for Finals and National Titles every year. Just b/c it's MD you expect titles year in year out but that's not happening you want that root for someone like Syracuse, Hopkins or Virginia. The Maryland program is however a team that is consistently in the top 10 and making the tourney with the chance to make a deep run. If you're expecting something else you're dreaming.

Here's The Sun's take on Randy Eaton, who will be the interim AD:

Eaton is obviously well versed in several of Maryland's top financial priorities-- stopping the slide in football season-ticket sales and selling out the premium football seating at Byrd Stadium.

I mentioned that Eaton is not viewed as a polarizing figure at Maryland. It is signficant that the men's basketball program considers him a straight shooter. "Everybody likes him," said a basketball program insider. "He's a solid guy." That is important, of course, given the history of tension between Yow and men's basketball coach Gary Williams.

Sounds like they've already taken a step in the right direction. I was afraid Kathy Worthington would somehow become the interim AD. :old5fan:

Here's The Sun's take on Randy Eaton' date=' who will be the interim AD:

Sounds like they've already taken a step in the right direction. I was afraid Kathy Worthington would somehow become the interim AD. :old5fan:[/quote']

They didn't want a riot.

Sounds like this guy knows what he's doing. Bet he gets consideration for the permanent job.

Archived