Great News!

PaulBako

They didn't want a riot.

Sounds like this guy knows what he's doing. Bet he gets consideration for the permanent job.

Yeah, if the UM admins thought the typical post-Duke game hi-jinks on US1 were ugly, they ain't seen nothin'.

President Mote said Eaton will not be on the search committee for the new AD. While it could be a conflict of interest to have him on the committee while serving as the interim, I guess it also leaves open the possibility for him to be considered for the permanent position as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never seen such a unanimous dislike for someone. Does anyone out there defend Yow's record at MD? I mean she was here for 16 years.

I'm sure the athletes/coaches/fans of all the non-revenue sports loved her. She propped them up, often by taking money from the coffers of the revenue programs (i.e. the Maryland Gridiron Network and Friends of Gary, which are the booster clubs of the football and basketball programs, respectively). The reason you aren't hearing much pro-Yow support from those people is the same reason they are called non-revenue sports.

• 3 weeks later...

He was mentioned as a potential AD candidate. Not sure if this would eliminate him, but my guess is it won't. I still like the though current Oklahoma AD, and UM alum, Joe Castiglione as the new guy.

Link

UConn AD named head of NCAA basketball committee.

The athletic director at Connecticut, which faces allegations of NCAA violations in its men's basketball program, has been picked to chair the NCAA Division I men's basketball committee.

Hathaway is working on the school's response to NCAA allegations of eight major rules infractions in the Huskies' men's basketball program. That response is due next month.

Jeff Hathaway will serve as chairman for the 2011-12 academic year. His appointment comes as the NCAA works to implement its new $10.8 billion television agreement with Turner Sports and CBS and expand its championship tournament from 65 to 68 teams.

UConn's athletic director since 2003, Hathway's name also had been mentioned in connection with the athletic director's job at Maryland, his alma mater.

EDIT: Check that. According to The Sun, getting this post apparently does have an impact. The spot on the committee that he has is specifically for the Big East, and the ACC spot is already filled by Wake's AD. Sounds like Hathaway is one name MD can cross off the list.

• 3 weeks later...
3 Part Q &A with Randy Eaton. I really like this guy, how open he is to the Big 10, willing to cut sports. I hope he gets a good shot to be the full time AD.

http://d1scourse.typepad.com/blog/#tp

I like how he was very upfront about the season ticket/suite sales are impacting things. It seemed like last year the department tried to sweep those numbers under the rug. I think a little more transparency would definitely be a good thing.

The downer to me was when he discussed the football coaching situation. Eaton seemed to indicate two things in the interview.

1) A 7-5 record and a bowl invite to RFK Stadium or Shrevport might be enough to bring Friedgen back another season. I've seen enough of the mediocrity.
2) Conceivably he could still be the interim AD after the season and even if he felt a change is warranted, he wouldn't do it as the interim (understandable) and the permanent AD might not be named in time to make a coaching change.

• 2 weeks later...
New president in the house. Wallace Loh.

All he needs to do is hire a good AD and they are set. Academics guy, so hopefully he raises the school's academic profile. Not much of a fundraising history. Provost at U of Iowa.

Those 3 letter last names make me nervous. ;)

Please hire an AD that will put MD on an even playing field as far as accepting recruits that the other major local and ACC schools would.

Those 3 letter last names make me nervous. ;)

Please hire an AD that will put MD on an even playing field as far as accepting recruits that the other major local and ACC schools would.

And one that understands that if you have too many non-revenue sports to keep financially afloat, you cut a couple of them rather than poaching from the budget of the revenue-producing sports.

Archived