Who really controls the checkbook?

JTrea81

I mean, think about this from a pure human nature self-interest standpoint. There's 2 possibilities:

1. Angelos tells McPhail "I'm hands off from now on, spend whatever you like, make any personnel changes you see fit" and McPhail says "I like a challenge. I'm going to restrict myself with a budget and keep many of the entrenched people in place. Sure the chances of me failing spectacularly at my job is increased, but it will be more fun that way."

or

2. Angelos tells McPhail "You can make the baseball moves, but keep the budget within $X, see me for final approval on big deals and oh, I don't want A, B or C moved from their positions." McPhail: "I'll do my best!" (which is usually deliberate, linear and conservative).

Do you really believe 1 is more likely than 2?! If so, yeah, McPhail should be fired immediately (hint: it's not 1!)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will be interesting to see if your theory holds water when Tony's info comes out...

I suspect you'll find it won't.

The sad thing is it seems that more dysfunctional Tony's info paints the O's front office to be, the happier you will be. Especially, if you can point it towards AM. IMO, that's truly sad.

Angelos cuts the checks, therefore he controls the checkbook. It's not rocket science.

He went to ask his GM for advice and the GM said to hold off. In other words, he didn't see anyone worth pursuing for the estimated dollar amount they'd want to receive.

It's not a hard concept, Trea. I don't understand why you must continue to bash MacPhail all the time...we get it, we really get it. I think anyone/everyone here knows how you feel about him. If your goal is to keep bashing him on this open forum in hopes you can brainwash him into coming around to your way of seeing things you're doing a pathetic job and you should stop trying. Seriously, just leave it alone.

I mean, think about this from a pure human nature self-interest standpoint. There's 2 possibilities:

1. Angelos tells McPhail "I'm hands off from now on, spend whatever you like, make any personnel changes you see fit" and McPhail says "I like a challenge. I'm going to restrict myself with a budget and keep many of the entrenched people in place. Sure the chances of me failing spectacularly at my job is increased, but it will be more fun that way."

or

2. Angelos tells McPhail "You can make the baseball moves, but keep the budget within $X, see me for final approval on big deals and oh, I don't want A, B or C moved from their positions." McPhail: "I'll do my best!" (which is usually deliberate, linear and conservative).

Do you really believe 1 is more likely than 2?! If so, yeah, McPhail should be fired immediately (hint: it's not 1!)

Or maybe it's:

Angelos tells MacPhail "I'm hands off from now on, spend whatever you like, make any personnel changes you see fit" and MacPhail says "I think we can build this team like Tampa did. And you won't have to spend that much, Peter. I know we can do it with mostly all internal options, and I'll find some diamonds in the rough instead of you having to blow $100 million on some player. I can get the same performance with a lot less risk. How does that sound?"

From my topic, last November:

"I have met with Peter on several different occasions, going through the past season and how the offseason might line up," MacPhail said. "You have to be a little bit careful about what you say you're going to do because you don't really control 100 percent of the situation. The other side can determine that. I'm not a big one for making any grandiose statements, but suffice to say, I think we'll be active. There's no reason to be skeptical of ownership. He's done what management has asked him to do."
source - Baltimore Sun

If it's anything like my house - than Mrs. AM controls the checkbook.

Mr. AM: Honey, what do you think about signing Mark Tiexeira?

Mrs. AM: How much will he cost?

Mr. AM: He's a really good ballplayer, I promise.

Mrs. AM: Andy Michael MacPhail, answer my question. How much will he cost?!?

Mr. AM: About $195 million over 8 years

Mrs. AM: I don't know Andy. You know, I've had a hard time getting your receipts so I can balance the checkbook and that is a lot of money. Have you taken him out to dinner yet? If I've said it once, I've said it a million times - you need to work on your wine and dine skills.

Mr. AM: Just stop! I'll give you the receipt and I'll take him out to dinner. I promise! Now, can I have him?

Mrs. AM: I'll give you $140 million over 8 years and not a cent more. He's from Baltimore, right? See if he will take the hometown discount.

Mr. AM (pouting): OK. I'll see if he will take that offer.

Mrs. AM: That's what I thought. Now I want that receipt if he signs the contract, you understand?!?!

Mr. AM: Yes, honey.

The first part is quite different from the bolded part.

No owner operates without a budget, or final say on big expenses.

Also the correct answer to who controls the checkbook is generally your wife.

Angelos is, by far and away, the big problem here. He isn't willing to do what it takes to win.

Putting 80-90 million into the ML team while ignoring scouting, international and player development is a waste. All it will do is mask the overall problem and give us excitement over an 85-ish win team.

AM probably wasn't willing to spend stupid money on worthless FAs like Figgins...so be it..That's smart.

AM had a terrible offseason because of who he signed and what he didn't do..not because he didn't piss money away on way overrated FAs.

Angelos cuts the checks, therefore he controls the checkbook. It's not rocket science.

He went to ask his GM for advice and the GM said to hold off. In other words, he didn't see anyone worth pursuing for the estimated dollar amount they'd want to receive.

It's not a hard concept, Trea. I don't understand why you must continue to bash MacPhail all the time...we get it, we really get it. I think anyone/everyone here knows how you feel about him. If your goal is to keep bashing him on this open forum in hopes you can brainwash him into coming around to your way of seeing things you're doing a pathetic job and you should stop trying. Seriously, just leave it alone.

Thank you, I mean it is not hard to understand. This is not some byzantine structure. AM has autonomy to do most things but PA deals with the big things.

AM had a terrible offseason because of who he signed and what he didn't do..not because he didn't piss money away on way overrated FAs.

Holliday would look pretty good in LF right now...just sayin'

I wonder if he was one of the players Angelos wanted to buy but Andy said no...

Angelos is, by far and away, the big problem here. He isn't willing to do what it takes to win.

Putting 80-90 million into the ML team while ignoring scouting, international and player development is a waste. All it will do is mask the overall problem and give us excitement over an 85-ish win team.

AM probably wasn't willing to spend stupid money on worthless FAs like Figgins...so be it..That's smart.

Agreed....

All solid points.

Archived