For heaven's sake MacPhail/Angelos, throw us a bone!

Sign Machado immediately. Prove to the fan base (what's left of it) that you care about improving this franchise. It would be an act of good faith.

Plus, it would give the kid a taste of professional ball and jump start his career. Put him in the GCL and see what you got...

He knows, but we won last night so there is not as much to complain about.

There's PLENTY to complain about!

I just wanted to talk about a different topic.

I understand, Boras will try to soak us for all we're worth.. That guy is a blight on humanity. At least we have leverage of getting picks #1 and 4 next year if he doesn't sign. Still, it would be nice to try to get him signed sooner than the deadline for once.

There's PLENTY to complain about!

I just wanted to talk about a different topic.

I understand, Boras will try to soak us for all we're worth.. That guy is a blight on humanity. At least we have leverage of getting picks #1 and 4 next year if he doesn't sign. Still, it would be nice to try to get him signed sooner than the deadline for once.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but DO YOU LISTEN AT ALL?

It has been posted REPEATEDLY on this board that at the top of the draft when trying to sign the players who will not accept slot, the MLB waits to let the deal go through until the end of the signing period. It's just how it works.

You couldn't give Machado what he asked for to the penny and have it go through tomorrow.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but DO YOU LISTEN AT ALL?

It has been posted REPEATEDLY on this board that at the top of the draft when trying to sign the players who will not accept slot, the MLB waits to let the deal go through until the end of the signing period. It's just how it works.

You couldn't give Machado what he asked for to the penny and have it go through tomorrow.

Not sure this would be the case for Machado (wasn't for Tim Beckham). With MM being the top non-Harper position player, MLB shouldn't be concerned with his deal driving up the price for other players, so I can't imagine there would be a huge delay unless it was a record breaking deal or something like that.

MacPhail: Scott, it's Andy here. Listen, what will it take to sign Machado right now?

Boras: Hmmm.

MacPhail: Just name your price.

Boras: Let's say $15 million, like my guy Strasburg got last year.

MacPhail: Done! Phew, glad that's over with.....the fans are outside my window with pitchforks right now! I gotta throw 'em a bone!

Boras: Pitchforks eh? Hmmmm. You know Andy, let me think about that number a while longer. I'll call you in August. *click*

Dial tone......

Not sure this would be the case for Machado (wasn't for Tim Beckham). With MM being the top non-Harper position player, MLB shouldn't be concerned with his deal driving up the price for other players, so I can't imagine there would be a huge delay unless it was a record breaking deal or something like that.

I realize MLB might hold up any deal until the end of the signing period. It's just not clear under what circumstances they would or would not do this...

I realize MLB might hold up any deal until the end of the signing period. It's just not clear under what circumstances they would or would not do this...

I agree. I'm not sure anyone can say for certain that Machado's deal has to be an August sign-off. The rumor was Tate-esque bonus, which would put him around $6MM. If that's true, I think Boras could drag it out until August. But my best guess is that MLB wouldn't be overly concerned with a $5MM or even $6MM bonus in the top 3 picks.

I must say, I'd much rather throw $6M at Machado than Tate. Machado sounds like he has a solid approach at the plate and isn't seemingly a "raw" HS hitter like Tate was. At the same time, we aren't signing Machado away from playing football either, so we may not wind up paying that much.....What is the suggested slot bonus for 1:3?

I must say, I'd much rather throw $6M at Machado than Tate. Machado sounds like he has a solid approach at the plate and isn't seemingly a "raw" HS hitter like Tate was. At the same time, we aren't signing Machado away from playing football either, so we may not wind up paying that much.....What is the suggested slot bonus for 1:3?

ML doesn't publicly release the slot bonuses (or at least not at this point). They are supposed to be slightly higher than last year, but players have actually been signing for less (on the whole) I hear.

Regarding Tate/Machado, shrug. Tate did just fine against good comp two summers ago. He was well regarded earlier in the process than was Machado, as well.

Archived