Potential concern about Rendon

Rendon's name is certainly being thrown out there a lot as the potential #1 overall pick next year (either for us or someone else, hopefully us). I've seen him play a lot this past year. My only concern is his offensive success has a lot to do with his ultra-quick wrists. Most scouts say he has the quickest wrists they've ever seen. Will that translate well to a wooden bat? As far as I know, he hasn't played in wood bat league. There was a rumor he might play in the Cape Cod League. A wood bat might slow down that wrist speed a bit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rendon's name is certainly being thrown out there a lot as the potential #1 overall pick next year (either for us or someone else, hopefully us). I've seen him play a lot this past year. My only concern is his offensive success has a lot to do with his ultra-quick wrists. Most scouts say he has the quickest wrists they've ever seen. Will that translate well to a wooden bat? As far as I know, he hasn't played in wood bat league. There was a rumor he might play in the Cape Cod League. A wood bat might slow down that wrist speed a bit.

Power generated through the wrists tends to translate much, much better than power generated through brute strength. It isn't uncommon for a slower bat to thrive at the collegiate level with good raw strength and a metal bat to help it along. Bat speed tends to play well regardless of the material.

He is signed-on with the Bourne Braves on the Cape, but I assume he will end-up with Team USA for the summer (who also invited him to tryout in early July.

...but now I'm starting to think the Pirates will overtake us...

As usual, we win just enough games to finish out of the running for a franchise changing player.... (except the year we got Wieters- and he hasn't become a franchise changer, yet...).

As usual, we win just enough games to finish out of the running for a franchise changing player.... (except the year we got Wieters- and he hasn't become a franchise changer, yet...).

Talking about preferring to tank or lose enough for the #1 pick in June is an absolute joke.

Rendon is a terrific prospect, but he's not so much better than the other pitchers available in next year's draft that its justifiable to hope that we continue to play terribly over the remainder of the year grab the #1 pick.

It would be a far better sign for the future of the franchise if we play better over the remainder of the season, fueled by improvements from our young players, and end up with the 3rd or 4th pick than is we continue to suck and get the 1st pick. Far, far better.

Why? ................

Wood bats and metal bats have a totally different weight distribution. Since you don't have to worry about shattering a metal bat, a lot of them have heavier handles that act as a fulcrum to make it easier for the hitter to catapult the bat through the hitting zone. If wood bats did that, you'd see even thinner handles than you already do, thus many more broken bats.

Power generated through the wrists tends to translate much, much better than power generated through brute strength. It isn't uncommon for a slower bat to thrive at the collegiate level with good raw strength and a metal bat to help it along. Bat speed tends to play well regardless of the material.

He is signed-on with the Bourne Braves on the Cape, but I assume he will end-up with Team USA for the summer (who also invited him to tryout in early July.

Does Team USA use wood or metal bats?

Someone made a nice point the other day about the fact that the Bucs already have Pedro Alvarez at their MLB team. Would that impact their decision to take Rendon #1 if they "beat us out"? Since next year's draft is apparently loaded with ace pitchers, would they take a nice SP #1 instead of the top bat?

Also, I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but how far is he from MLB? Is he as developed as Wieters and Matusz were? Or would he require more than 1.5 minor league seasons?

Wood bats and metal bats have a totally different weight distribution. Since you don't have to worry about shattering a metal bat, a lot of them have heavier handles that act as a fulcrum to make it easier for the hitter to catapult the bat through the hitting zone. If wood bats did that, you'd see even thinner handles than you already do, thus many more broken bats.

Someone made a nice point the other day about the fact that the Bucs already have Pedro Alvarez at their MLB team. Would that impact their decision to take Rendon #1 if they "beat us out"? Since next year's draft is apparently loaded with ace pitchers, would they take a nice SP #1 instead of the top bat?

Also, I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but how far is he from MLB? Is he as developed as Wieters and Matusz were? Or would he require more than 1.5 minor league seasons?

He on paper looks better than Wieters did offensively. Showing more power at the same age....In all honesty, IMO if we somehow were able to draft and sign Rendon today, he could be MLB ready by the next draft(in a year).

AND, the Bucs having Alvarez means little to nothing(concerning their stance on Rendon) because there are still many scouots who believe Alvarez will have to move to 1B anyway. So, by drafting Rendon, you are setting up your corner IF for the next 5-6 years with potential allstar caliber players(something we wish we had).

I must say, about a year and a half ago, I thought we were in really good shape compared to the other "losing" teams like the Bucs and the Royals etc, but after a couple of mediocre drafts, everyone seems to be catching up to us. Luckily we already had some pretty strong ML talent....

He on paper looks better than Wieters did offensively. Showing more power at the same age....In all honesty, IMO if we somehow were able to draft and sign Rendon today, he could be MLB ready by the next draft(in a year).

AND, the Bucs having Alvarez means little to nothing(concerning their stance on Rendon) because there are still many scouots who believe Alvarez will have to move to 1B anyway. So, by drafting Rendon, you are setting up your corner IF for the next 5-6 years with potential allstar caliber players(something we wish we had).

I must say, about a year and a half ago, I thought we were in really good shape compared to the other "losing" teams like the Bucs and the Royals etc, but after a couple of mediocre drafts, everyone seems to be catching up to us. Luckily we already had some pretty strong ML talent....

That's right... I forgot that Pedro would likely shift to 1b eventually.

I really hope we can draft Rendon.

USA Collegiate National uses wood. I'd say Longoria timeline, give or take, works. Depends on when you can sign Rendon. Ideally, you sign him right after the draft with a pre-draft deal worked out (not sure how many players would give that to BAL, but worth a shot for sure -- will depend on adviser, as well). HiA/AA in first year (if he signs early) and hopefully AAA/ML in summer 2012.

USA Collegiate National uses wood. I'd say Longoria timeline, give or take, works. Depends on when you can sign Rendon. Ideally, you sign him right after the draft with a pre-draft deal worked out (not sure how many players would give that to BAL, but worth a shot for sure -- will depend on adviser, as well). HiA/AA in first year (if he signs early) and hopefully AAA/ML in summer 2012.

Not sure if you were alluding to this in the Longoria timeline, but Longoria signed quickly and got a handfull of HiA AB's right after the draft rather than playing the August deadline game. Those HiA AB's are crucial in my opinion.

Not sure if you were alluding to this in the Longoria timeline, but Longoria signed quickly and got a handfull of HiA AB's right after the draft rather than playing the August deadline game. Those HiA AB's are crucial in my opinion.

Right -- that was the HiA/AA in 2011 and AAA/ML in 2012.

Right -- that was the HiA/AA in 2011 and AAA/ML in 2012.

By signing early (June 2006) Longoria was able to get 2006 - 276 PA's between A/A+/AA; then in 2007 he picked up 575 PA's at AA/AAA; Finally, in 2008 he had 30 PA's at AAA largely for free agency/service time purposes. The key to Longoria's timeline was getting signed early and not playing the August deadline nonsense.

The Pirates are closing in... only 3 games ahead of us. Cleveland is 5 off the pace. We still stand a good chance, but we now have company in the running for Rendon's services...

By signing early (June 2006) Longoria was able to get 2006 - 276 PA's between A/A+/AA; then in 2007 he picked up 575 PA's at AA/AAA; Finally, in 2008 he had 30 PA's at AAA largely for free agency/service time purposes. The key to Longoria's timeline was getting signed early and not playing the August deadline nonsense.

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. Am I misreading something?

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. Am I misreading something?

No...not missing anything. I was emphasizing that Longoria was a quick sign for anyone that wasn't aware and as support for the timeline you outlined. Sorry for the confusion.

No...not missing anything. I was emphasizing that Longoria was a quick sign for anyone that wasn't aware and as support for the timeline you outlined. Sorry for the confusion.

AH! Thanks. I'm just spaced out tonight. I thought we were saying the same thing but after going back and forth a couple times I wanted to make sure I wasn't being an idiot (which is known to happen :)).

Archived