Ewwww, pass on both of these ideas..at least for those years.

I'd prefer something less on Werth; the response was as opposed to the proposal on Fielder. I don't have a problem risking some capital on Konerko; good veteran bat with some risk of fall off, but worth taking. We need to find a legitimate veteran bat or two somewhere.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 3-4 year deal for a 35 year old Konerko would be horrible.

Do we really want to be paying a 37 year old Werth $18-19 million a season?

Fielder is 26 this season. A 6 year deal would take him until age 32.

I'd rather pay him $25 million per season until age 32 than Konerko $15 million per season from ages 35-38 or Werth $18-19 million from ages 32-37.

You are not getting many prime years from those 32+ year old players.

Those are players that put you "over the top," not cornerstones that can stay with the core of your team.

We need a cornerstone, not a complementary player.

At least I'm dealing with reality; You continue to pretend that your going to get Fielder for 6 years. I'm trying to come up with a way to get a couple of veteran bats (preferably right handed) to help out the current talent on the club. You presume that your getting prime years from Fielder when the mere sight of him makes me doubtfull of that premise. Not to mention, I'm really not interested in making Fielder my cornerstone, talk about a shaky foundation.

We are going to have to gut our system for Fielder, I'm sure. Even if we give a great offer, the Brewers will just look to Boston and DC and go, "This is what the Orioles want. Go ahead and one-up it". Fielder's been very good for their organization, and if they get two even offers, I don't see them sending him to the worst team in baseball if other options are available. It's like trading a player to the Raiders. You're always thinking, "Ugh. What did he do to deserve THAT?"

And really, the Orioles don't have the farm to be fine after the trade would be made. We'd keep losing, but we'd just be losing with less money to burn.

I'm still all about Adam Dunn.

At least I'm dealing with reality; You continue to pretend that your going to get Fielder for 6 years. I'm trying to come up with a way to get a couple of veteran bats (preferably right handed) to help out the current talent on the club. You presume that your getting prime years from Fielder when the mere sight of him makes me doubtfull of that premise. Not to mention, I'm really not interested in making Fielder my cornerstone, talk about a shaky foundation.

I am not sure Fielder would sign here for 6 years either...but I don't think it can be totally discounted...25 million a year is a lot of money and at his age, its possible he would prefer a shorter deal and then go get another big FA contract.

I think it would take more like an 8/200 deal to get him to sign here.

We are going to have to gut our system for Fielder, I'm sure. Even if we give a great offer, the Brewers will just look to Boston and DC and go, "This is what the Orioles want. Go ahead and one-up it". Fielder's been very good for their organization, and if they get two even offers, I don't see them sending him to the worst team in baseball if other options are available. It's like trading a player to the Raiders. You're always thinking, "Ugh. What did he do to deserve THAT?"

And really, the Orioles don't have the farm to be fine after the trade would be made. We'd keep losing, but we'd just be losing with less money to burn.

I'm still all about Adam Dunn.

Boston wouldn't want Fielder. The Nationals still have Dunn.

It won't take as much as you think to get Fielder IMO. I think Guthrie, Tillman and two other prospects gets it done. The farm system can always be replenished through the draft.

Teams aren't going to be beating down the door for a 1 year rental of him so Melvin is likely to get less for him in the offseason despite what he's saying.

Boston wouldn't want Fielder. The Nationals still have Dunn.

It won't take as much as you think to get Fielder IMO. I think Guthrie, Tillman and two other prospects gets it done. The farm system can always be replenished through the draft.

Teams aren't going to be beating down the door for a 1 year rental of him so Melvin is likely to get less for him in the offseason despite what he's saying.

I would love to have him. It would be nice having a player who has proven he can hit the ball out at any time.

I am not sure Fielder would sign here for 6 years either...but I don't think it can be totally discounted...25 million a year is a lot of money and at his age, its possible he would prefer a shorter deal and then go get another big FA contract.

As I've said, Boras has Wieters here as well, and I'm sure he'd like him to become the next Mauer with Fielder protecting him in the lineup, so one would think Boras would have something to say about Fielder being an Oriole too...

Wieters doing well because of Fielder's protection would make Scott Boras a happy agent one would think...

The short porch in right would also inflate Fielder's HR stats...

There are plenty of reasons for Fielder to want to be an Oriole. The sticking point is do the Orioles want Fielder to be an Oriole?

I think it is very likely that it takes us less money to sign him as a FA than it does to sign him to an extension.

But is it worth not having him in the lineup for another year and a half to find out?

We his bat now, not in 2012. I'm almost thinking an extra year - say 7/175 might be worth it to get his bat in there behind Wieters and Markakis and his presence in the clubhouse and on the field.

We've got to make sure Wieters and Jones succeed, especially Wieters.

But is it worth not having him in the lineup for another year and a half to find out?

We his bat now, not in 2012.

What difference does it make if he is here for the next 1.5 years or not?

Maybe it would matter some next year but its not going to matter all that much right now...Yea, maybe having the big bat around the young guys would be nice and I am not opposed to trading for him but I think you are being a little unrealistic as to what it will take to get him in a trade.

If he can be had for Tillman, Guthrie and 2 other prospects, then other teams would trump that offer.

What difference does it make if he is here for the next 1.5 years or not?

Maybe it would matter some next year but its not going to matter all that much right now...Yea, maybe having the big bat around the young guys would be nice and I am not opposed to trading for him but I think you are being a little unrealistic as to what it will take to get him in a trade.

If he can be had for Tillman, Guthrie and 2 other prospects, then other teams would trump that offer.

But who would have the need and who would trump it?

The Giants are the only team I can think of. All the other contenders are pretty much set at 1B.

But who would have the need and who would trump it?

The Giants are the only team I can think of. All the other contenders are pretty much set at 1B.

Well, the White Sox could deal Konerko and trade for Fielder. Or the Angels could go get Fielder and worry about the Fielder/Morales stuff later.

The Red Sox could go after him although it would mean they are ok with Youk in LF.

The Giants could...The Dodgers could although I don't know if they have the money for him but with Torre likely gone after the year, maybe they make a run.

The Reds could decide to go for it and move Votto to the OF.

The point is, if the package to acquire isn't that overwhelming, its possible that someone would trade for him...And why does it have to be a contender? Who says a team like Oakland, who traded for Holliday, doesn't try and get him?

Well, the White Sox could deal Konerko and trade for Fielder. Or the Angels could go get Fielder and worry about the Fielder/Morales stuff later.

The Red Sox could go after him although it would mean they are ok with Youk in LF.

The Giants could...The Dodgers could although I don't know if they have the money for him but with Torre likely gone after the year, maybe they make a run.

The Reds could decide to go for it and move Votto to the OF.

The point is, if the package to acquire isn't that overwhelming, its possible that someone would trade for him...And why does it have to be a contender? Who says a team like Oakland, who traded for Holliday, doesn't try and get him?

The sky could fall and pigs could fly; nothing is certain, but none of these notions make a lick of sense, if you think about them for 15 seconds. :laughlol:

The sky could fall and pigs could fly; nothing is certain, but none of these notions make a lick of sense, if you think about them for 15 seconds. :laughlol:

Why not?

How does it not make sense for the Dodgers or Giants to go after him?

How does it not make sense for the Red Sox to move Youk to LF, where he has played before?

How does it not make sense for the WS to trade Konerko to the Angels and cash in on his big season and then go get Fielder so they have a replacement for Konerko the rest of the season and next year?

(this should be good..can't wait to see you attempt to tell me this)

Why not?

How does it not make sense for the Dodgers or Giants to go after him?

How does it not make sense for the Red Sox to move Youk to LF, where he has played before?

How does it not make sense for the WS to trade Konerko to the Angels and cash in on his big season and then go get Fielder so they have a replacement for Konerko the rest of the season and next year?

(this should be good..can't wait to see you attempt to tell me this)

Why would the White Sox trade their 1B who is hitting better than Fielder now, when that is not their biggest need in order to make it to the payoffs. They are further behind the Twins and Tigers in pitching than hitting. It's nonsense. They give up prospects, for a lateral move at best, and they are going to have as much trouble getting him to extend as anybody else. The Red Sox don't need Fielder, again why trade prospects they could use to get what they need to make the playoffs? They are scoring more runs than the MFY's but are giving up a lot more. Youkalis is a better 1B than Fielder, why move him to LF, and their DH is hitting pretty well lately. They would do better to trade for Luke Scott this season. The Dodgers need a SP not a 1B. The Giants make some sense, they need a big bat and they have the pitching to move. But the problem of a one year rental is still huge. Boras is just not going to miss out on putting Prince on the FA market in 2012.

Archived