Why would the White Sox trade their 1B who is hitting better than Fielder now, when that is not their biggest need in order to make it to the payoffs. They are further behind the Twins and Tigers in pitching than hitting. It's nonsense. They give up prospects, for a lateral move at best, and they are going to have as much trouble getting him to extend as anybody else. The Red Sox don't need Fielder, again why trade prospects they could use to get what they need to make the playoffs? They are scoring more runs than the MFY's but are giving up a lot more. Youkalis is a better 1B than Fielder, why move him to LF, and their DH is hitting pretty well lately. They would do better to trade for Luke Scott this season. The Dodgers need a SP not a 1B. The Giants make some sense, they need a big bat and they have the pitching to move. But the problem of a one year rental is still huge. Boras is just not going to miss out on putting Prince on the FA market in 2012.

Agreed. Anybody thing they can get Fielder to sign an extension... well, I got this great deal on a bridge in NY that I'm selling.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would the White Sox trade their 1B who is hitting better than Fielder now, when that is not their biggest need in order to make it to the payoffs. They are further behind the Twins and Tigers in pitching than hitting. It's nonsense. They give up prospects, for a lateral move at best, and they are going to have as much trouble getting him to extend as anybody else. The Red Sox don't need Fielder, again why trade prospects they could use to get what they need to make the playoffs? They are scoring more runs than the MFY's but are giving up a lot more. Youkalis is a better 1B than Fielder, why move him to LF, and their DH is hitting pretty well lately. They would do better to trade for Luke Scott this season. The Dodgers need a SP not a 1B. The Giants make some sense, they need a big bat and they have the pitching to move. But the problem of a one year rental is still huge. Boras is just not going to miss out on putting Prince on the FA market in 2012.

The White Sox could be looking this year and next year and they can replenish lost prospects with draft picks from Fielder.

The Red Sox have lost Pedroia and VMart.

Either way, my overall point is that if Fielder can be had for the package JTrea suggests, more teams would get involved.

The White Sox could be looking this year and next year and they can replenish lost prospects with draft picks from Fielder.

The Red Sox have lost Pedroia and VMart.

Either way, my overall point is that if Fielder can be had for the package JTrea suggests, more teams would get involved.

So they should get a 1B they don't need. Why not look for a catcher and a 2B? Really. The White Sox are competing this year. Fielder is not a long term solution. Silly to waste prospects who will have to be worth more than the 2 draft picks the Brewers would get if they held on to Fielder. He really makes sense for few teams becuse he is a one year rental.

I'm willing to take the risk of not getting a big bat at all rather than trade a bunch for Fielder, and yes I think it would cost more than Tillman and Guthrie plus mediocre prospects, and then on top of that give him an absurd extension.

I'd love to have a big bat, but it is not a need like some say. There are many ways to win. Plus, we wouldn't win during his current contract anyway.

Plus, he hasn't even been a big bat this year. .848 OPS. And not that I care much about RBI as a stat, but when a guy with 15 hr's has only 32 RBI, that's amazingly bad.

A 3-4 year deal for a 35 year old Konerko would be horrible.

Do we really want to be paying a 37 year old Werth $18-19 million a season?

Fielder is 26 this season. A 6 year deal would take him until age 32.

I'd rather pay him $25 million per season until age 32 than Konerko $15 million per season from ages 35-38 or Werth $18-19 million from ages 32-37.

You are not getting many prime years from those 32+ year old players.

Those are players that put you "over the top," not cornerstones that can stay with the core of your team.

We need a cornerstone, not a complementary player.

How can you ever mention Holiday again?

back on subject: I would love to have Fielder here. Flat out, he could provide a boost to our offence and -just as important, our attitude. But I agree with El Gordo that Boras will push to get him to free agency when he's able. I also remember a story on MLBtraderumor that the owner of the Brewers doesn't want to trade Fielder because he thinks they can win next year.

Although you do make a good point that Fielder fits well in our park and he would be the tide that elevates other players, why would he want to stay here now?

I could grant you that he may (and I hope through our meteoric rise would) change his mind before he hits FA. But you seem to think he's just going to sign up for 6 at about the same money -if not less- than he will get in a year and a half; all for the priviledge of spending his prime years in Baltimore, which has spent the last decade in the outhouse of the toughest division in ball?

I mean common, he doesn't eat fish so he can't even enjoy the crabcakes on the way to 100 losses.

Also, Boras has a talent for landing 8-year deals for young cornerstone players such as Prince.

So they should get a 1B they don't need. Why not look for a catcher and a 2B? Really. The White Sox are competing this year. Fielder is not a long term solution. Silly to waste prospects who will have to be worth more than the 2 draft picks the Brewers would get if they held on to Fielder. He really makes sense for few teams becuse he is a one year rental.

He is a year and a half rental.

And what they get for Konerko plus draft picks plus having Fielder next year is likely a better situation for Chicago than Konerko this year and either re-signing him or letting him walk for picks.

Every time I look at Prince Fielder I have the feeling that he is one meatloaf away from exploding. Although he's young (26 yrs old), he's only 5'-11" and weighs 270 lbs!! As good as he is now, I just don't see how he can carry that weight much longer without his body, and his skills, starting to break down.

I remember back when people said the same thing about Boog Powell. At age 26, his listed playing weight was 240, but he was likely well above that. But Powell is 6'-4" and could comfortably carry a lot more weight.

I would say no to Fielder on the weigh factor alone, and irregardless of the pending contract issues.

Every time I look at Prince Fielder I have the feeling that he is one meatloaf away from exploding. Although he's young (26 yrs old), he's only 5'-11" and weighs 270 lbs!! As good as he is now, I just don't see how he can carry that weight much longer without his body, and his skills, starting to break down.

I remember back when people said the same thing about Boog Powell. At age 26, his listed playing weight was 240, but he was likely well above that. But Powell is 6'-4" and could comfortably carry a lot more weight.

I would say no to Fielder on the weigh factor alone, and irregardless of the pending contract issues.

Well, he is a vegan so you dont have to worry about that! :wedge:

One thing about Fielder is he's very aware of his weight issues.

His home has a workout facility and a batting cage, and he said he started conditioning immediately after the season ended to keep his weight down.

"So I don't turn into an obese person, because I can," said Fielder, who weighed 268 pounds last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4874850

Well, he is a vegan so you dont have to worry about that! :wedge:

Seriously!!! :eek: When did this happen? I remember him being in a hamburger commercial a few years back. Regardless, it looks like the damage was already done.

I also suspect that he may be ingesting meat by including Venus flytraps, sundews, pitcher plants, and bladderworts in his "vegetarian" diet.....;)

People were right. From age 31-on Boog was worth 6.5 wins. 85% of his career value came in his career through age 30.

People were right. From age 31-on Boog was worth 6.5 wins. 85% of his career value came in his career through age 30.

I think this would prove true for most players, especially back when Powell played. Modern conditioning programs, and the DH, have obviously extended the careers of many players, but statistics still show that the majority of players peak at age 28.

Seriously!!! :eek: When did this happen? I remember him being in a hamburger commercial a few years back. Regardless, it looks like the damage was already done.

I also suspect that he may be ingesting meat by including Venus flytraps, sundews, pitcher plants, and bladderworts in his "vegetarian" diet.....;)

He became a vegetarian before the 2008 season because the thought of eating meat disgusts him. At the time it was reported that his wife gave him a copy of Skinny ***** and he became a vegetarian. He doesn't eat fish either.

The article below is from the Feb 2008 Milwaukee JC and gives a nice insight into why he made his choice to leave meat. It wasn't a diet thing according to Prince. The article states he doesn't even check his weight (BS IMO).

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/29514624.html

He is large, but he can move. For instance, did you know he has an inside-the-park homerun? Then again, so does Aubrey Huff. Take it or leave it.

Archived