7/1 - A's at O's - Game 3 - JOSH BELL DAY

SammyBirdland

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arrieta really doesn't understand the game up here yet. He has better command than he is giving himself credit for. He thinks he can nibble, nibble, nibble and folks will eventually get impatient and swing at the ball off the plate. It isn't going to happen most days. Get ahead, throw your offspeed stuff over the plate, get them into swing mode, then you can start throwing more balls. He doesn't get it.

His stuff is very good and his command isn't that bad either. He is just nibbling. Hopefully, he'll figure it out.

Jake ArriTrachsel

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The Kimbrel experience feels very similar to the Felix experience thus far. Great pickup
    • I don’t know how long this Suarez wave will last, but it’s fun and a really good story to see a guy fight for one more chance and take advantage of it. 
    • You think that Mayo is better/more talented player than Cowser? Also, who’s J?
    • While it certainly makes sense, I don’t see it happening. Santander has played almost every day even while his bat was running cold. Mullins and mountcastle as well. Hyde values veteran presence and hard to argue with the results so far this year. As for Mayo and Kjerstad, the only way I envision them seeing consistent playing time is if they let Santander walk this year, and trade one of RMC/Urias in the offseason. Highly unlikely Elias trades anyone from the lineup during the season 
    • I think it's silly to say he has nothing left to prove in AAA and equally silly to say he's not hurting the ML team right now. He is definitely hurting us. We're just good enough to overcome it right now. Holliday barely had a cup of coffee in AAA. He was only ok at the end of last year in AAA (.796 OPS) and had good stats when everyone on the team had over a 1.000 OPS against the lame White Sox team early this year. He also barely had a cup of coffee at 2B. Most importantly, he looks broken right now.  There's every reason to put him into a position where he can decompress and find his legs again. While he's at it, he can figure out how not to drop his hands so he can compete at the top of the zone, and he can get more comfortable at 2b. I love the kid and believe that he'll be as great as they say, but I definitely believe he was rushed in relation to how Elias has really made sure the other guys are more ready before promoting them. Nobody else got the Holliday treatment, and I don't think they should. I would demote him and give Norby a shot, effective tomorrow.
    • As I said, someone(s) has to go.    Over the next few years, you also enter Mayo and Basallo into the picture. Mayo is reportedly shagging fly balls now. They are working on him in the OF.  Only a matter of time before he’s in games. But he will play first some and DH some. Basallo will as well. Both have a talent advantage over silent J,  Cowser, Stowers, Norby, Beavers, etc… So, some kind of move(s) will need to be made. It’s not a matter of if, it’s when. 
  • Popular Contributors