Baseball Prospectus top 11 prospects still in the minors

Stan P

That doesn't change the fact that Jordan did the absolute best he could with the budget he was given, and that without drafting Hobgood over Matzek, he would not have been able to do so.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't change the fact that Jordan did the absolute best he could with the budget he was given, and that without drafting Hobgood over Matzek, he would not have been able to do so.

Eh, it's too early to make judgments either way with regard to how successful he was, but I'm quite sure he did the absolute best he could.

More accurately, he did the best that he thought he could with his budget (if his budget is what was driving his decisions).

You said probably in one post and fact in another. The reality is that no one knows what the budget restraints were last year. Jordan was actually quoted as saying that he liked Hobgood as the 5th best player last year (over Matzek and Turner). Based on all the over slot money paid one could draw a conclusion, but not outright cement it into fact. If in "fact" there were restraints last year then what is the excuse for this years draft? Besides Machado and Mummey who else did we get? Jordan's drafts have been mediocre at best. I hope O's don't wait till 2013 to figure that out.

How many guys in the O's 2010 draft top 10 has Jordan signed so far while the GCL, Bluefield, and Aberdeen chug along?? http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98556

Something must be brewing.....

You said probably in one post and fact in another. The reality is that no one knows what the budget restraints were last year. Jordan was actually quoted as saying that he liked Hobgood as the 5th best player last year (over Matzek and Turner). Based on all the over slot money paid one could draw a conclusion, but not outright cement it into fact. If in "fact" there were restraints last year then what is the excuse for this years draft? Besides Machado and Mummey who else did we get? Jordan's drafts have been mediocre at best. I hope O's don't wait till 2013 to figure that out.

How many guys in the O's 2010 draft top 10 has Jordan signed so far while the GCL, Bluefield, and Aberdeen chug along?? http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98556

We drafted some solid upside for sure, but none of them have signed yet. Bywater, Anderson and Klein are pretty good picks.

The reality is that no one knows what the budget restraints were last year.

I am pretty sure I remember it being said that the O's had to exceed the 2009 draft budget to sign Givens at such a late date. That would have put them at around 8 million.

Yeah, but who is going to pitch?

They have some pitching in the minors and Grienke.

Plus, they have a lot of positional prospects that they could deal for a starter.

They could be scary...Put it this way...their future looks much brighter than the O's right now.

They have some pitching in the minors and Grienke.

Plus, they have a lot of positional prospects that they could deal for a starter.

They could be scary...Put it this way...their future looks much brighter than the O's right now.

I'm still not in quite as much love with KC's minor league system as you are.

They do have some good pieces down there. But right now, they have very few options on their team of guys that are going to improve.

Currently Kendall, Guillen, Podsednik, Aviles, Betancourt are all guys they won't be counting on long term but are starting for them right now. DeJesus, Callapso, Butler long term.

A lot of their talent has yet to develop. Beyond Greinke they have no current MLB level pitching talent. I think this team looks like the O's a lot a few years ago. If they can sustain talent levels in upcoming drafts for the next few years I'd be a bit more excited. But you have to worry that all this upcoming talent could take longer or bust like the O's.

I'm not saying they aren't looking good. But I'd take a lot more franchises right now over them. Even weighting heavy to farm systems.

You said probably in one post and fact in another. The reality is that no one knows what the budget restraints were last year. Jordan was actually quoted as saying that he liked Hobgood as the 5th best player last year (over Matzek and Turner). Based on all the over slot money paid one could draw a conclusion, but not outright cement it into fact.

No, as Can_of_corn said, they had to go over their budget to sign Givens. So we know there was a budget, and if they'd signed Matzek, they would not have signed all the players I listed above, simply because Matzek was so much more expensive than Hobgood.

I honestly don't believe that Jordan thought Hobgood was more talented than any player left at 1:5. Maybe he did. I'm not any sort of scout, but I find that hard to believe. More likely, I think he thought Hobgood was the best pick available, signability included.

If in "fact" there were restraints last year then what is the excuse for this years draft? Besides Machado and Mummey who else did we get? Jordan's drafts have been mediocre at best. I hope O's don't wait till 2013 to figure that out.

Machado will cost MUCH more than Hobgood did. In the 6M range, probably. This year's draft is what last year's might have looked like if the O's had picked Matzek over Hobgood: with just a few overslot guys (Narron, Urban, Robinson) and the one major high-end talent at the top.

I honestly don't believe that Jordan thought Hobgood was more talented than any player left at 1:5. Maybe he did. I'm not any sort of scout, but I find that hard to believe. More likely, I think he thought Hobgood was the best pick available, signability included.

I tend to 100% agree with you here. I guess I wonder if this is what we were going to do, why we didn't go with an arm much more ready to get to the majors. I don't think fans mind waiting for high end talent, but having to wait 4 years to see what our 5th pick is going to do is probably the hardest for fans to get over (a sentiment that seems to be seconded by the Colon signing in KC).

I think signability combined with a fast track to the majors would have made many people more happy with the combination of what Jordan did.

But I'm not sure if I'd rather see a bit more talent, or a bit more major league ready draft. I'm not sure that's what Jordan's thinking about. But it seems he'd be more respected if he had.

What are we talking about when it comes to being the highest spending team in the draft as opposed to middle of the road? Is it maybe $5M - $7M? To me, the front office not understanding that you cant spend with the yanks and bosox on salary, but can beat them in the draft for a few extra million dollars is insanity.

We will never be consistently competitive in our division if we don't always take best player available with our first pick (regardless of price) and then outspend the rest of draft. Such an easy concept, but still not attainable by our front office.

Archived