Rumor: O's in formal negotiations with Buck Showalter

ScottieBaseball

I hope he gets started immediately. I don't care if he's in the dugout right away, but I hope he starts working towards fixing our infrastructure through the minors immediately.

I know it is too early to get excited since it is all speculation right now, but this is exactly what the club needs. He is going to want to be involved in a lot of facets of the organization, and if he gets the job, I think it would be a huge positive sign for the future of the franchise.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was Buck, I'd make sure to have it in the contract that the Orioles had to get the talent that he wanted and that he would have some control over day to day personnel decisions as well.

That way MacPhail couldn't set him up to fail like he did with Trembley as it would be a breach of the contract.

To say "had to get the talent that he wanted" is kind of a ridiculous statement. It's not like it's a one way street where they can go buy something, there is another side (i.e. the player) who has a say here. A contract between Buck and the Orioles can't force players to sign with the Orioles.

I would agree about day to day personnel decisions, like who should get sent down/called up and all that. If Schowalter is the guy, he'll have some power I'd think.

If I was Buck, I'd make sure to have it in the contract that the Orioles had to get the talent that he wanted and that he would have some control over day to day personnel decisions as well.

That way MacPhail couldn't set him up to fail like he did with Trembley as it would be a breach of the contract.

That would be awfully difficult to quantify.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/07/funny-how-things-change---part-ii.html

From Roch's blog this morning. Finally some good news, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If Showalter is the guy do you want him to take over now, or observe from the sidelines until the season is over?

I would ask him what he wants to do. If he wants to watch and learn from afar then fine! If he wants to jump right in then fine!

To say "had to get the talent that he wanted" is kind of a ridiculous statement. It's not like it's a one way street where they can go buy something, there is another side (i.e. the player) who has a say here. A contract between Buck and the Orioles can't force players to sign with the Orioles.

I would agree about day to day personnel decisions, like who should get sent down/called up and all that. If Schowalter is the guy, he'll have some power I'd think.

Well he'd at least have a say in day to day personnel decisions. Perhaps he could have an opt-out clause if the Orioles didn't acquire the talent he needed, but again that is hard to quantify.

I'd just make sure the O's are going to give him what he needs and if not he can walk away and somehow put that into the verbage.

Buck is too talented to get treated the way MacPhail treated Trembley and he isn't going to want to get hung out to dry like that.

Wasn't a knock on you, I was noting that this link didn't mention anything formal happening and wondering if there was anything out there stating that. You're right, though, that is pretty recent. My bad.

Simmer down, now. :rolleyes:

:)

Should have included in my post that it was on the ticker. That's really what I was getting to. ESPN has it on their ticker, but nothing really updated on their site. Hopefully something done soon. Just want some sort of news. And kind of like to see what they do...If he takes over right away, or if he oversees the organization for a bit before taking the bench. Also really curious about the coaching staff.

Well he'd at least have a say in day to day personnel decisions. Perhaps he could have an opt-out clause if the Orioles didn't acquire the talent he needed, but again that is hard to quantify.

I'd just make sure the O's are going to give him what he needs and if not he can walk away and somehow put that into the verbage.

Buck is too talented to get treated the way MacPhail treated Trembley and he isn't going to want to get hung out to dry like that.

An opt-out clause would be interesting. Because everyone always talks about "token offers" and all that junk. If he had such an opt-out clause, that would be kind of way to dictate whether it was actually a token offer or if there was real interest/pursuit.

For Showalter to have some say in the day-to-day personnel decisions is one thing, for him to demand "the Orioles had to get the talent that he wanted" is another, and frankly borderline absurd on several levels. No MLB team is going to sign a contract with such a silly provision for it's manager. Trea: You never cease to amaze.

God I hope Buck hires a new hitting coach, if only so we can't hear that excuse anymore. But also because the Crow is so loved by the players and it would be nice to say, I don't care who you like, it's time to start winning. It's also time for someone new to work with the young hitters.

Rick Down would be an excellent choice to bring back to the organization as he was with the O's on DJ's staff. And before that he was Showalter's hitting coach with the Yankees.

I don't know how this isn't trolling and in violation of the board rules. Your point is not a legitimate one; No manager is going to get "control over day to day personnel decisions" from any GM. It's just not happening. Here we have just another example of your rail roading yet another thread with your anti-AM crap.

I don't know how this isn't trolling and in violation of the board rules. Your point is not a legitimate one; No manager is going to get "control over day to day personnel decisions" from any GM. It's just not happening. Here we have just another example of your rail roading yet another thread with your anti-AM crap.

He has a point on day to day personnel decisions, I think. He should have a say that a reliever should go down when Pie comes back, or something like that. And even specify "Mata ain't cutting it, he needs to go" or whatever. The premium talent part was nonsense though.

He has a point on day to day personnel decisions, I think. He should have a say that a reliever should go down when Pie comes back, or something like that. And even specify "Mata ain't cutting it, he needs to go" or whatever. The premium talent part was nonsense though.

Sure, I'll buy that and I'll add that a manager does, or at least should, have input into roster transactions. Arguing for some type of clause in the managers contract that says you have to go out and get the talent I say to is just plain stupid. In all, the post was more of the usual anti-AM BS.

I know he probably can't force the the Orioles to get premium talent, but he should have the ability to walk away for better opportunities if the Orioles aren't going to be serious about providing him the talent to win games, hence the opt-out clause. It would be a first, but it would also somewhat hold the Orioles' feet to the fire about getting the talent neccessary that Buck wants and will need to be successful.

Archived