Rumor: O's in formal negotiations with Buck Showalter

ScottieBaseball

I think the manager role is much more critical on this Orioles team than many other baseball teams. This organization has lost it's "culture" or the "Oriole Way" of old and it does not have a clear leader on the playing field.

For these reasons, a strong manager needs to take these players back to square one and lead! Hopefully he can play a critical role in instilling confidence in these youngsters and teach them how to win.

I am on board with Buck being that guy!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone else mentioned this, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Samuel remain on the staff, even past this season.

Someone else mentioned something to the effect that he may need time to organize a coaching staff. Based on my perception of him, I'm pretty sure he knows exactly who he wants on his staff, and has probably already talked to each of them (off the record, of course). He probably has a backup plan for each spot and a backup plan to the backup plan.

As for learning the system and the players on the current roster I'd bet that he's already talked to a lot of people about the organization and has read plenty of scouting reports.

He doesn't strike me as someone who enters into any controllable situation unprepared.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, so I'll ask everyone here what they think. Would it be a good/bad idea to keep Samuel as a coach if Showalter is hired? You have to worry about the leadership clash, as the players seem to like Samuel a lot. Just wanted someone else's opinion on this...

While I like the idea of Showalter only watching the rest of the way, I can understand the flaws of that idea. Besides, what's to keep him from driving down to Bowie on an off day and taking in a game?

I agree with a lot of your post, but I did want to point out that this isn't realistic.

The Orioles have to be in town.

The BaySox have to be in town.

Showalter/the manager would need to have nothing else that needed to be done on that day.

He would probably want to see more of a team than he could in a single game to get a feel for the players.

You get the idea :)

I recall reading that Trembley went to the occasional Bowie game.

I keep seeing that the manager does nothing but manage on game day - he shouldn't have things to do on his days off. :D

Seeing how they interact, and how they do the little things, and how they perform on the field for just one day is better than not seeing them at all.

Now maybe you get the idea.

Well, if I got my Orioles news solely from the OH Twitter account, that is better than not reading anything at all. But it's even better to come read the information actually on the site, no? :)

A lot has been written about this "idea" that it would be good to have Showalter just watch the rest of the reason and then take over in the offseason. One of the main things I see here is that no team does that, so therefore the Orioles shouldn't do it.

The way I look at it is that if ever there were a team/organization that could afford to try unconventional methods, it is the present day Orioles. If ever there were a team that could establish a four-man rotation, it is the Orioles. If ever there were a team that could attempt to set a new trend with a 10-man pitching staff and a bench full of offensive minded players, it is the Orioles. If ever there were a team...okay, you get my drift.

While I like the idea of Showalter only watching the rest of the way, I can understand the flaws of that idea. Besides, what's to keep him from driving down to Bowie on an off day and taking in a game? I'm assuming managers don't normally see the reports on minor league players that Hot Corner mentioned earlier. Well, why can't the Orioles try something different and provide Showalter with those same reports? He can be very involved, even as the manager.

If I'm the GM I take advantage of the knowledge Showalter surely has gained about other organizations in his current job and make a list of people I should go after from other organizations. I tell my development guys to work with Showalter and his choice for Pitching Coach (and with Griffin and Schmidt and McGregor [assuming they all remain in the organization]) to develop a program for developing pitchers. Have Showalter and his choice for Hitting Coach work with minor league coordinators do the same for developing hitters. Do the same with Showalter and Bordick for developing fielders (actually developing plans such as teaching fundamentals). During all of this, I work with Showalter and Jordan to determine what traits the organization will look for when it comes time to draft players. Yes, these are things you don't typically see managers involved in, but this also isn't your typical situation.

Showalter brings a different skillset to the table than a lot of managers (arguably more than any manager the Orioles have had since Davey Johnson), why not take advantage of those skills while he's here? They certainly have nothing to lose by doing so.

I agree with every word of this...

I've never met DeMarlo Hale, but from what I've read and heard about him he seems to be a real good man. Assuming he doesn't get a much deserved manager's job I'd love to Showalter figure out a way to get him on his staff next season.

I've played 2 seasons with Hale. He will get a shot, he's a very good manager and players respond to him. He has a way about him that gets the most out of each player. He will jump your ass when you need it (He jumped mine several times :) ) and he will give you a pat on the backside when needed. But most of all, he fights for his players. And players respect that in a coach. Players will battle for a guy like that.

We had two teams that were loaded full of individuals. By the end of the first month we were all playing team ball and helping one another to get better. He has a way of getting EVERYONE on the same page.

He would do well here I know since there is such a young core of players. But at this point the O's are looking for more of a sure thing becaue they've been burned in the past with guys with not a lot of big league experience. And I really don't blame them for going in that direction. It would be a huge asset if he could pry away Hale from Boston. Not sure how that can be done since he's a bench coach right now. The only way ( I believe) he can break his contract is if he's offered a higher position with another organization. I could be wrong here..

The sooner the Orioles sign Showalter, the better. And put him in the dugout immediately. I think giving him half a season to watch things and evaluate is typical, plodding, and way too over-deliberate. He can easily evaluate things from the dugout, and he'd start having an impact much sooner. I'm fine with keeping Samuel on staff, especially since the players seem to respond to him and he's got the respect of everyone. There shouldn't be any leadership clash there since the players know even now that Samuel is an interim guy. But I'm sick of the dawdling.

It won't hurt to have Showalter go around to the different minor league facilities on his off days, or even when one team plays in the daytime and one at night. But he's a smart guy and this wouldn't be an unexpected thing for him. Hire him right now, put him in the dugout, and let him make changes to his staff/roster etc. as he sees fit, and when he can make it work. If he fires one coach and hires a new one on July 13th or July 31st, or August 31st, whatever.

But if he's the leader, let him lead. There's no need to keep treading water. It's just baseball, not a cabinet position with Obama. He knows what to do, and he'll know what needs to get done soon enough.

The sooner the Orioles sign Showalter, the better. And put him in the dugout immediately. I think giving him half a season to watch things and evaluate is typical, plodding, and way too over-deliberate. He can easily evaluate things from the dugout, and he'd start having an impact much sooner. I'm fine with keeping Samuel on staff, especially since the players seem to respond to him and he's got the respect of everyone. There shouldn't be any leadership clash there since the players know even now that Samuel is an interim guy. But I'm sick of the dawdling.

It won't hurt to have Showalter go around to the different minor league facilities on his off days, or even when one team plays in the daytime and one at night. But he's a smart guy and this wouldn't be an unexpected thing for him. Hire him right now, put him in the dugout, and let him make changes to his staff/roster etc. as he sees fit, and when he can make it work. If he fires one coach and hires a new one on July 13th or July 31st, or August 31st, whatever.

But if he's the leader, let him lead. There's no need to keep treading water. It's just baseball, not a cabinet position with Obama. He knows what to do, and he'll know what needs to get done soon enough.

I just hope he has full control over who he wants on his coaching staff.

I agree with a lot of your post, but I did want to point out that this isn't realistic.

The Orioles have to be in town.

The BaySox have to be in town.

Showalter/the manager would need to have nothing else that needed to be done on that day.

He would probably want to see more of a team than he could in a single game to get a feel for the players.

You get the idea :)

BT, I also think it's important that we fix the system. As a Redskin fan, I understand what it's like to paint a pretty face on a bad organization and see short-term results followed by more failure.

When the Redskins brought in Joe Gibbs for his second stint, he improved things by having a hand in almost every part of the organization. They weren't world-beaters, but they went from horrible to 2 playoff appearances in 4 years...progress! The problem was that when he retired, so did all that improvement.

So, I'd rather Buck come in and help them correct some things and put the right guys in place to be the ones to scout and evaluate prospects. That way, when his time here is up, there's something we can retain as an organization.

Archived