Fan falls from stands

PaulBako

This nearly happened right in front of us at a Giants game we went to a few years ago. Foul ball came over and a man a couple rows ahead of us lunged out to grab it, only he leaned too far and started to topple over the edge. The fans on either side of him made a desperate grab and caught his legs and were able to pull him back before he fell down to the concourse. It was really scary.

Not to be callous, but I hope the recent uptick in fans falling from the upper decks and the high-profile case of the Phils fan running onto the field doesn't convince MLB that it needs to make changes to the stadiums that effect the aesthetics of the game.

Not to be callous, but I hope the recent uptick in fans falling from the upper decks and the high-profile case of the Phils fan running onto the field doesn't convince MLB that it needs to make changes to the stadiums that effect the aesthetics of the game.

This was my immediate response when I heard about the incident.

The railings are about what you would see on any standard stair casing or platform and fairly positive that they are within code. This is about as freaky an accident as you're going to see and you just can't account for every oddity. Sorry it had to happen but I hope no changes come of this.

The railings are about what you would see on any standard stair casing or platform and fairly positive that they are within code. This is about as freaky an accident as you're going to see and you just can't account for every oddity. Sorry it had to happen but I hope no changes come of this.

It's not a standard stair casing or platform. It's an area where fans are actively lunging over the railings attempting to catch game balls. There really isn't a good argument that favors asthetics over fan safety...including this one.

Maybe the upper decks could have a net put underneath? Kinda like what they do for some bridges that get too many suicides.

Maybe morons should stop doing dumb things. There's nothing wrong with the railings they have, and you can't baby-proof the entire world. If you drive up Pikes Peak, they don't have guardrails everywhere, they expect you to not drive off the side of the dang mountain. Ballparks have adequate railings, and they expect you to not go lurching over them. The idea that we need to change ballparks to handle every stupid thing a moron might do is a bad idea. If you do that, then you'll have everybody sitting behind 20-foot-high plexiglass walls...

Archived