New Article: "Matt Hobgood: Mid-Term Report" by Doc Shorebird

ScottieBaseball

I like Hobgood. Even if there was some measure of sign-ability factored into the decision.

I'm rooting for him because everything i've read about him shows he has the right attitude. It's why we all like Nolan Reimold (for the most part).

They play baseball the right way.

Big kid, Gatorade High School Player of the Year. Who says he can't become our CC Sabathia when he fully develops and gets through the growing pains of being a kid surrounded - by grown ups - playing a kids game.

I hope we see him really make that first big step in progression next year.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice marketing... and smart. This is the type of story that on would not be able to get anywhere else on the Web.

What would happen, though, if the Sun and espn and MASN started their stories behind paywalls?

Hmmm...great question. It would probably best be answered by The Sun, ESPN, and MASN respectively.

Nice marketing... and smart. This is the type of story that on would not be able to get anywhere else on the Web.

What would happen, though, if the Sun and espn and MASN started their stories behind paywalls?

For one, Tribune would actually make some money.

If anything the low velocity and lack of sharpness on the curve may be contributing to his willingness to learn the changeup now (rather than waiting until he's forced to learn it on the fly by better hitters) and become a more complete pitcher.

Storm clouds, meet silver linings.

I'm concerned but nowhere near as concerned as a lot of you guys seem to be. It really is an enormous adjustment for a lot of players, especially pitchers. Some guys don't skip a beat but many do.

I don't see how working on a changeup would effect the velocity of his FB and quality of his curve. I could see how working on the change could effect his overall K numbers, but the velocity on your FB has nothing to do with working on your changeup....

I can't say I follow many high school graduate, 19 year old pitchers.

I know he's talking about other guys that have had rough velocity years, had good off season training and then bounced back. Are there any good examples of this? Or is this just something they say.

Does anyone know of similar comps of minor league guys to look at and feel a lot better when he says he'll bounce back strong next year?

I follow many kids coming out of HS, and yes, there is validity to what he says. Better conditioning and improved mechanics both can help his velocity come back, but only if that is the reason for his loss of velocity. Jake Arrieta lost some of his velocity as a Junior in college and dropped from a potential top 15 pick all the way to the 5th round. He worked on his mechanics and came back 100% the following year.

In 2009 Hobgood got into tremendous shape for his senior HS year. I don't think it was a coincidence that he touched 98 MPH that year(according to him). He needs to get into tip top shape and come back next year hoping he can regain some of that velocity. He apparently touched 93 earlier this year and I do not think he is in as good of shape as he was in his senior HS year. I firmly believe he can get his velocity back to his prior levels.....

My concern comes from the fact that I do not think he was the best player available. Looking at the pre-draft projections, he's probably performing behind most of the players who were slotted ahead of him. Again, he was the 5th pick of the draft, so the stakes are high.

I can't evaluate the pick in a vacuum, but I realize you have to be patient too.

Yes, he is performing behind the other picks picked ahead of him, but at the same time, those picks picked ahead of him also didn't lose 8 MPH off their FBs. If he was pitching to his full potential and still performing behind the other guys, I'd agree, but thats not the case. If he were pitching 100%, I don't think you'd have any concern. Lets see how he is if/when he starts throwing low to mid 90's again. If at that point he is still lagging behind, then I will say its a bad pick, but because he is holding his own without his good stuff, I think thats a testament to how good he can be when he is 100%.

And he is doing MUCH better than Donovan Tate who was picked #3 overall and given a $6M bonus. .233/.327/.377 in the Arizona rookie league w/ 21K's in 49ABs according to baseball reference. Hobgood is doing better than that WITHOUT his best stuff. IMO rather than comparing him to college guys picked ahead of him, I'd think it is a stronger argument comparing him against HS kids like Matzek, Turner, Miller, Wheeler...

Last I checked, the Sun sells papers, MASN made my cable bill go up, and ESPN offers an 'Insider' service.

Last I checked, the Sun sells papers, MASN made my cable bill go up, and ESPN offers an 'Insider' service.

Don't let facts get in the way of his passive-aggressive axe grinding. Ready? I'll answer for him:

"No no no...I love the site. I love what goes on here at the Orioles Hangout. Those outlets you mentioned, though, have real, true, journalism professionals like myself who contribute there. That's not to say the material published by the Orioles Hangout isn't good, it's just "pro-am" and thus shouldn't be paid for. But don't get me wrong, that's not an insult at all. I love the site!"

Did I get that right JackO?

Don't let facts get in the way of his passive-aggressive axe grinding. Ready? I'll answer for him:

"No no no...I love the site. I love what goes on here at the Orioles Hangout. Those outlets you mentioned, though, have real, true, journalism professionals like myself who contribute there. That's not to say the material published by the Orioles Hangout isn't good, it's just "pro-am" and thus shouldn't be paid for. But don't get me wrong, that's not an insult at all. I love the site!"

pwned.

Also, ESPN Insider sucks.

I follow many kids coming out of HS, and yes, there is validity to what he says. Better conditioning and improved mechanics both can help his velocity come back, but only if that is the reason for his loss of velocity. Jake Arrieta lost some of his velocity as a Junior in college and dropped from a potential top 15 pick all the way to the 5th round. He worked on his mechanics and came back 100% the following year.

In 2009 Hobgood got into tremendous shape for his senior HS year. I don't think it was a coincidence that he touched 98 MPH that year(according to him). He needs to get into tip top shape and come back next year hoping he can regain some of that velocity. He apparently touched 93 earlier this year and I do not think he is in as good of shape as he was in his senior HS year. I firmly believe he can get his velocity back to his prior levels.....

This raises an interesting question then...as it mentioned in the article. Even if he was in better shape then how much influence does pitching more often and traveling and not being as comfortable play a role in all of this too?

Is the wear and tear just too much for Hobgood or do we really just at this point have to wait until next year? And can any improvements like this be made between now and the end of the year?

I don't see how working on a changeup would effect the velocity of his FB and quality of his curve. I could see how working on the change could effect his overall K numbers, but the velocity on your FB has nothing to do with working on your changeup....

What I mean is that if he were lighting up the radar gun and throwing the hammer curve, he might have been more likely to ignore the need to learn the changeup now rather than later. He would most likely be getting better results with just the two pitches at that level.

My concern comes from the fact that I do not think he was the best player available. Looking at the pre-draft projections, he's probably performing behind most of the players who were slotted ahead of him. Again, he was the 5th pick of the draft, so the stakes are high.

I can't evaluate the pick in a vacuum, but I realize you have to be patient too.

This.

---------

Nope... different ax to grind. I am just saying share and share alike when it comes to passing around reported information. If the Hangout couldn't pass around articles from The Sun and MASN, there would be a paucity of content here. As an entity that relies on aggregation, it's a nice little paradox.

But, heck, posters here relay stuff behind the paywall at espn insider all the time... would be cool if someone could post some tidbits from the Hobgood story here. (hint. hint :) )

Nope... different ax (not axe) to grind. I am just saying share and share alike when it comes to passing around reported information. If the Hangout couldn't pass around articles from The Sun and MASN, there would be a paucity of content here. As an entity that relies on aggregation, it's a nice little paradox.

I don't know that the Hangout really 'passes along' info from MASN or the Sun as much as posters come here to discuss what is written on those sites. To me, the Hangout is like a virtual bar room where people go to discuss sports. None of my friends like baseball, so I come here to talk about the O's.

I don't feel like the premium content is the main focus here. It's a bonus that you receive when you have to purchase your membership when your 500-post trial runs out.

I don't know that the Hangout really 'passes along' info from MASN or the Sun as much as posters come here to discuss what is written on those sites. To me, the Hangout is like a virtual bar room where people go to discuss sports. None of my friends like baseball, so I come here to talk about the O's.

I don't feel like the premium content is the main focus here. It's a bonus that you receive when you have to purchase your membership when your 500-post trial runs out.

agreed... and I totally agree with charging for over 500 posts... it's nominal fee anyway.

Just saying that a good number of posts here are started with a link to s story in another publication, it would be awesome if the Hangout became part of that information sharing process...

It would be good for marketing O's too if other sports bloggers could pass on the Hobgood story and others....

agreed... and I totally agree with charging for over 500 posts... it's nominal fee anyway.

Just saying that a good number of posts here are started with a link to s story in another publication, it would be awesome if the Hangout became part of that information sharing process...

It would be good for marketing O's too if other sports bloggers could pass on the Hobgood story and others....

How about we not worry about how the Hangout conducts business and just stick to baseball? No chance?

Archived