Britton warming up....

Johnny

Back when I came back from the San Diego trip, I asked Arietta who could become this teams' best pitcher. He looked at me and said" Zach Britton can really pitch..he reminds me alot of......Jon Lester"..maybe better"...

I'll just take Jon Lester. :D Thanks for sharing. Today was my first exposure to Zach and I definitely liked what I saw.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I was most surprised by was Britton's command. It was a very SSS(only 3 hitters) but his command looked every bit as good as Matusz's except he kept the ball down more than BM does. At this point, I really am up in arms over who will be the best pitcher for us in the future, but I will say Britton definitely impressed me......

Lester seems like a good comp. Statistically Brandon Webb is as well. It seems that a lot of people are having a hard time projecting Britton because he isn't the average top SP prospect. There aren't a bunch of pitchers who get GB's to this extreme, and even less who throw this hard with this quality of secondaries.....

I was only able to catch the last batter. Did he throw any change ups?

Nah, it was all sliders and sinkers. He threw the slider for strikes and also usedit as the swing and miss pitch we have heard it referred to. I love that he touched 95 with a sinker and missed down and away with it(rather than up).........His command was most impressive to me except for the last batter which he left the sinker up....

Britton was pumpmed up, no doubt. Those velocities for him were on the high side (93-95 fastball-sinker, 84-85 slider) and probably reflected him being pumped as well as the fact that he only needed to go one inning.

Saying that, I'm glad people got a chance to see how special this guy is going to be. He keeps the ball down, it sinks, and his slider can be a plus-plus swing and miss pitch at times. He's a solid change up away from being a top of the rotation guy.

It may not be a bad idea for the O's to bring him up for about six start at the end of this season so he can get a taste and be ready to compete for a spot in the rotation next spring.

Matusz, Britton, Arrieta and Tillman look like a pretty strong four to start of with and when you bring back Guthrie, I think you have the makings of a pretty strong rotation in 2011.

Where is Bergesen in all of this? I think he's in the pen with Berken and Hernandez. Pat Egan might might be in the mix as well next year.

From Fangraphs discussing the future's game, specifically fastballs:

Zach Britton. The guy shattered a bat with his first pitch, but Francisco Peguero muscled the pitch to right field. The whole inning, Britton was trading off between bowling ball sinkers and a four-seamer that hit the mid 90s. It’s a two-pitch fastball arsenal, and it’s really good.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-best-of-the-futures-game/

From Fangraphs discussing the future's game, specifically fastballs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-best-of-the-futures-game/

This is where I get slightly confused. Are they labeling that a 4 seamer because of the velocity? It seemed to have just as much sink as his other pitches, it just came in a bit harder, certainly didn't look like a 4 seamer to me. My conclusion is either that (a) his 4 seamer has just about as much sink as his 2 seamer does, or (b) he didn't throw a 4 seamer at all, everything was 2 seamers and he just ramped it up on that one and it is being mislabeled as a 4 seamer due to the velocity.

This is where I get slightly confused. Are they labeling that a 4 seamer because of the velocity? It seemed to have just as much sink as his other pitches, it just came in a bit harder, certainly didn't look like a 4 seamer to me. My conclusion is either that (a) his 4 seamer has just about as much sink as his 2 seamer does, or (b) he didn't throw a 4 seamer at all, everything was 2 seamers and he just ramped it up on that one and it is being mislabeled as a 4 seamer due to the velocity.

Not sure, I didn't see any pitch FX stuff for the game. You could ask him, the fangraph guys are usually pretty polite. I imagine if they are mislabling a 2 seam as a 4 seam they would want to know.

I'd leave him down the rest of the year, though. Get his innings, shut him down, make three or four starts in AAA next season and up for good. No reason to waste a year of service time on this season. I know, I know, but do we really want every pitcher that matters on our roster to be within one year of free agency with each other? I don't.
I agree with this.

I could see bringing him up soon, like late July, if we trade Guthrie and Millwood and also think that he'll be ready for it (that's the more important qualification). Getting him a couple months would be worth the lost year of service time, IMO. A few starts in September wouldn't be enough, but a couple months to get used to the league and then hopefully be far better off heading into 2011 could be a good thing.

I doubt they'll bring him up that soon, though, so if its just a couple September starts, I'd rather just wait and see him next season and have him for an extra year.

The thing about bringing him up is that he's only 50 innings away from matching his career high. And only 40 innings from last year's high.

If they are going to bring him up, it has to be before September.

Yep. I say they bring him up in August and let him take his August starts in Baltimore. Shut him down around Labor Day. Next year we have a guy with some major league experience who will be ready to compete for a rotation spot.

Archived