Decision 2010: Win Now or Rendon Later?

Sanfran327

Win Now or Rendon Later?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Win Now or Rendon Later?

• Win Now
    • Rendon Later

We are now 1 win behind Pittsburgh.

I say we win 60 games...Can Pittsburgh win 31 or more games the rest of the season?

We aren't too far behind a few other teams either.

If the Orioles young talent gets hot in the second half, this team could end up winning 65+ games, which means we definitely don't get the first pick.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who knows if that #1 overall pick ends up reaching his potential.

You play to win games.

I would counter with.

You play to win championships.

The O's need to add talent via the draft that is simply not present picking 10th.

I don't want to see this team have a nice little three year run where they finish a couple of games over .500.

You realize we swept the Rangers in large part because of how well Tillman, Arrieta, Hernandez, and Berken pitched, right? You want them to struggle just so we can get Rendon? They are more important to our future than Rendon.

They don't have to struggle for us to lose games. :)

You realize we swept the Rangers in large part because of how well Tillman, Arrieta, Hernandez, and Berken pitched, right? You want them to struggle just so we can get Rendon? They are more important to our future than Rendon.

Our young players can continue to play well without us winning games.

What happens if we strip our roster of all veterans via trade or DFA in the 2nd half?

Tejada traded.

Scott traded.

Wiggy traded.

Albers DFA.

Hendrickson DFA.

Milwood traded.

Guts traded.

Lugo DFA.

Izturis traded.

That's a huge chunk of the roster, and that also doesn't include Roberts or Gonzo. I know that many of these moves are pretty unlikely, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing many of them, including parting with Scott, Wiggy, Albers, Hendrickson, Millwood, and Lugo. I wouldn't mind keeping Tejada, Guts, and Izturis. The biggest reason that this won't happen is because we have such little depth in the minors that nobody can come up to take all of those roster spots. That and we won't be able to find takers for many of these spare parts, and the FO won't just cut bait with all of that money.

Good post but in all honesty I want to see Rendon in Baltimore.:)

I would love to ge Rendon but let the season play it's course. I doubt we get the #1 pick. Hopefully, Stotle is right and there are 4 or 5 guys that are elite talents as well. Unfortunately, I think Rendon is the only position player among those currently mentioned.

I hope that having Alvarez convinces the Pirates to take one of the stud young pitchers leaving Rendon to drop to #2. The team the O's can't afford to finish ahead of is the Astros.

Agreed.

Besides, shouldn't we be more concerned about our unsigned picks from this year's draft before we even begin worrying about next year's Draft?

Is Rendon that good? I have no idea, other than everything I read says he is the consensus #1 pick next year as of right now. Would we be getting that much worse of a player if we're picking 2nd or 3rd? I really want to see this team finish a season strong for once. But the memory of the season-ending sweep of NYY in 2000 and missing out on Texiera makes me wonder whether they would just be hollow victories.

Archived