Win Now or Rendon Later?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Win Now or Rendon Later?

• Win Now
    • Rendon Later

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is anyone else feeling a little, um... bittersweet about this? I hate to say it, but I've gotten so used to the fact that this season is over. I realized this unfortunate reality at 2-16, then started looking ahead to the draft and the possibility of Rendon manning the hot corner for years to come.

Now we're winning some games, and that's always great to watch as a fan, but another unfortunate reality is that it's just too little too late. We're only one game 'ahead' in the top pick race, and I know that Pitt stinks more than we do. I don't see us ending up with the #1 pick next year.

I guess the question is whether or not you'd prefer a 100+ loss season and the top pick, or another 90 loss season, finishing dead last in the division again and 30 games out, and having a good-but-not-franchise-changing pick.

I think it's a tough decision as a fan. While I can see - and appreciate - the attitude that you can never root against your team if you're a true fan, the converse is that these wins are relatively meaningless, and all they're doing is lowering our draft position.

Thoughts?

Doesn't it say something that you have to hold this poll as private so we can't see who is actually voting for whom.

It seems to me that there is a fair amount of shame in rooting against your team has shame. I think the hidden nature of your poll might answer a bit of your own question.

That being said one guy isn't going to turn a franchise around. This is silly to tank the emotions and psyches of players just for one guy that we have no idea how he turns out (see Wieters). Root for the team. Hope for the best...feel free to criticize when you disagree with what's going on. But I stand opposed to anyone who supports this team losing.

And this...I want to see progress and lose at the same time crap just seems like a cop out to me. Winning isn't going to be a one guy or one draft pick cure. Let's not act like this one player will make a difference.

If you knew that Rendon was going to be Longoria, what would you say then?

Do you wish we had been swept against NY years ago and ended up with Tex or are you glad we won those few meaningless games?

I will take the #1 pick in a season as bad as this one...and that can still happen while see progress from the young players, which is all that is important for the rest of the season.

Do you wish we had been swept against NY years ago and ended up with Tex or are you glad we won those few meaningless games?

I will take the #1 pick in a season as bad as this one...and that can still happen while see progress from the young players, which is all that is important for the rest of the season.

I respect this kind of thinking and your opinion. But I just

a) can't ever buy that any prospect will work out like this, your promises of Rendon are simply just that. For every Longoria there is a BJ Upton. It's just not that simple. And you really can't say this.

b). Refuse to buy the growth of this team and it's attitude as meaningless.

We've heard nothing but raving about the Orioles and especially Markakis and the way the O's are playing the game right now. I wouldn't sacrifice that for Rendon or any one player (including Strasburg off any roster for a few losses).

These Orioles need something to get behind and be proud of. To me that's more important than one guy. These guys, especially behind some Nick Markakis leadership are starting to show some heart and I'll take busting this losing attitude of the last 12 years over one player 7 days a week and twice on Sundays (because god knows we've needed the help in the past on Sundays).

As much as I would love for us to get a talent like Rendon, I just can't pull myself to root for my team to lose.

I truly hope that we win every game the rest of the season. I'd love for us to have a second half where we actually look like a competitive baseball team.

We are going to wind up with a top 5 pick in a deep draft. Nothing wrong with that.

Win now is the best option.

These wins are meaningless when it comes to how the team sits in the standings.

But the team needs to win.

This season now becomes about setting the team up to have a better season next year.

The team needs a permanant manager in place the rest of the year

The young pitching staff needs to continue the recent trend of pitching well and they need to go in to next season with confidence ,and that comes from winning games.

The still very young players need to learn how it feels to run off a few 5 and 6 game winning steaks so that when next season starts they have the confidence that they can do well.

I would love to have Rendon on the team.

But I would rather have the Orioles have a good and decent 2nd half to this season and have a good start next season.

You play to win, I actually don't think we will have the worst record, maybe second or third worst, which isn't saying much.

Saying that, teams have been known to trade away players to ensure a last place finish. The Penguins traded away any talent they had to finish last in '83 and draft Lemouix.

If you are a fan, you never route for your team to lose.

Sorry, but there are certainly times whenyou root to lose. This is definitely not one of them, but to say otherwise is narrowminded and wrong--and oft repeated on this board.

I'd much rather the O's come roaring back and play .500 ball after the break, than end up with the #1 pick. There is plenty of talent in the upcoming draft, and I'm not worried one bit about not getting Rendon. Keep winning, boys!

You do realize that if we had signed Tex then, it wouldn't have had a significant difference in our record. Add 5 games to the W total of the ensuing seasons, and we still would have yet to have a winning season..:rolleyestf:

Always vote win now. It makes life so much better as a fan.

But losing out on Rendon sure hurts. He's the surest thing in the draft. We'll get a good player at #2 or #3....but not in his class....

Always vote win now. It makes life so much better as a fan.

But losing out on Rendon sure hurts. He's the surest thing in the draft. We'll get a good player at #2 or #3....but not in his class....

I've been seeing you say stuff like this a lot lately, and I just flat out disagree. He doesn't outclass Purke, Jungmann and Cole. Rendon is just picked as the favorite right now, but I don't see it as that big of a difference between him and Cole. Cole was the favorite to be the #1 overall pick until this season. I wouldn't mind Cole and his 98 MPH FB with the plus changeup or with Jungmann and his 3 plus pitches and projected solid command(and has physical projection left), or Purke and his plus command, poise and 3 above average or better pitches from the left side.

It would be lovely to have an AS capable 3BMan, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to instead get a projected TOR SP.....

I 100% vote win now. All Rendon is is a nice consolation prize should we be the worst team in the majors. While he'd be nice, I'm not going to cry if he doesn't get selected by us. It's much more important to me that the talent we DID draft continues to perform than to worry about the talent we MIGHT draft IF we lose.

Plus, you saw what a 2-16 record did to these young guys, it completely sapped the energy away from this team. I fear that if they resume their losing ways, some of them might be completely demoralized.

Winning breeds winning, and losing breeds losing. I'd rather win with our current team than lose with a team in the hopes we MIGHT win with a future team.

Archived