Sherrill waived

gtown

Memories

sherrill3.jpg

orioles-flat-brim-party.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqMmZMFPyU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqMmZMFPyU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Oriole fan at Yankee Stadium when Sherrill K's AGon at the 2008 All Star game.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the question that needs to be asked is...

Is George Sherrill better than someone we have on the 25 man roster right now? Is he better than someone we have in the bullpen?

Yes to both questions. And there are people (Albers, Mata) who aren't a financial risk to release.

It will be crowded when Uehara and Gonzalez return, as well as the possible return of Johnson and the emergence of Beato, Bascom, or Egan.

Looking it up, Albers will be arbitration eligible this off-season and will probably command a salary between $800K-$1M so I would be for getting rid of him to save money.

I would like to trade Ohman and just get rid of Uehara.

Johnson is still up in the air. I'm not holding my breath on his return. Agreed on Ohman, I've said before and will continue to say he's one of our more valuable trade chips.

Since we have to pay Koji anyway, and since middle-to-late inning relievers can be valuable, and since no-one would claim him on waivers; I think we should hold and hope he doesn't get hurt -again- so we could potentially deal him in August to a contender with an injury/shaky pen. Return: AA prospect of maderate value.

Oh woah...Sherrill's salary is 4.5 million this year? I'm so so on the Orioles claiming him now. Only 19 innings pitched this year though.

If it was say May or June, I'd definitely be all over it. You'd have some time for him to straighten him out to try and trade him.

Let's pick up Flat Breezy and see what Kranitz can do with him. Change of scenery, back to where he excelled, may help. NO reason at all to not take a chance on him.

BRING BACK FLAT BREEZY!!!!! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Is Kranitz going to be here two weeks from now?

FWIW, the last game Sherrill pitched for us he was throwing 90-92 mph fastballs and 73-74 mph curves. In his last few Dodger games he was throwing 88-89 mph fastballs and 77-78 mph sliders (according to pitch f/x).

Interesting. Is that what he has looked like all year?

Is Kranitz going to be here two weeks from now?

Given the pace at which the Orioles are moving on the permanent manager, Kranitz may be here two seasons from now. We can't hang around and wait on claiming a player--someone else will pick up Flat Breezy if we don't. It'll be our luck he goes to BOS or NYY and does well. :cussing:

I agree we should get him for the waiver price (if he makes it to us.) We have pieces in the pen that could be released/sent down, or traded. Hell, Millwood or Guthrie could be traded and DH put back in the rotation (even temporarily.)

At the very least an "injury" could open up a spot. We have WAY too many options to not pick up a cheap piece who could be good.

I agree we should get him for the waiver price (if he makes it to us.) We have pieces in the pen that could be released/sent down, or traded. Hell, Millwood or Guthrie could be traded and DH put back in the rotation (even temporarily.)

At the very least an "injury" could open up a spot. We have WAY too many options to not pick up a cheap piece who could be good.

He's not cheap, the rest of a 4.5 million dollar salary. I bet no one picks him up.

This.

BRING BACK FLAT BREEZY!!! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Oh woah...Sherrill's salary is 4.5 million this year? I'm so so on the Orioles claiming him now. Only 19 innings pitched this year though.

If it was say May or June, I'd definitely be all over it. You'd have some time for him to straighten him out to try and trade him.

Yeah, that's a spicy meatball. However, you gotto figure his arbitration settlement would not be significantly higher (he has an ERA over 7 and has pitched 19 innings).

We pay Ohman, Hendrickson and Koji a total of around $7.5 million. All three should be gone by opening day 2011, leaving roughly 3 million plus Sherrill for next year.

With Berken, Hernandez, Simon, Sherrill, Johnson and -:rolleyestf: Cobra Cammander, we should be in position to have a solid pen from inning 6 on next year.

We would also have -in theory- two LHP with closing and late inning experiece to deal if/when we fall out of the race.

Just asking. I mean, Ohman has been pretty good for most of the year.Sherrill has been kerosine on the flames for the Dodgers bullpen. I live in LA. I know.

Absolutely nothing is wrong with the job Ohman has done this year. Ohman has been one of the only good suprises. That fact -with the facts he's not under contract for next year, is not currently listed as an Elias compensation pitcher and is just as likely to sign elsewhere as to re-up here- is why we should sell high and trade him while we can get something for him.

It's win-win. We get young talent and a reclamation project with a good resume pitching here, Ohman gets a pennant race.

Just asking. I mean, Ohman has been pretty good for most of the year.Sherrill has been kerosine on the flames for the Dodgers bullpen. I live in LA. I know.

Ohman brings something back of value to this team, while Sherrill comes back to the pitching coach who got him to his previous level in the first place.

Archived