Padres interested in Guthrie...

Greg Pappas

What about a Wiggy+Guthrie for Blanks and some prospects? Or Guthrie package with someone else

With the uncertain future of AGon in SD, Blanks would appear a great backup plan were AGon dealt or leaves via FA after next season. Therefore I believe he stays in SD.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the uncertain future of AGon in SD, Blanks would appear a great backup plan were AGon dealt or leaves via FA after next season. Therefore I believe he stays in SD.

But what if we also include Scott...Does Scott, Guthrie and some cash get you Blanks and Cumberland?

But what if we also include Scott...Does Scott, Guthrie and some cash get you Blanks and Cumberland?

I imagine that offer would intrigue the Padres, though Scott isn't considered a sound defensive 1B'man. But again, that offer would have to get their attention, as Scott would be a big help to their weak corner outfield, and Guthrie would be great in that park.

I imagine that offer would intrigue the Padres, though Scott isn't considered a sound defensive 1B'man. But again, that offer would have to get their attention, as Scott would be a big help to their weak corner outfield, and Guthrie would be great in that park.

I am not sure they would do it...With Blanks striking out as much as he has and with Gonzo staying and with them being in the race unexpectedly, do they change their mind about Blanks and decide to use him as a trade chip?

Its very tough to say IMO but I think it is far more likely right now than it was 3 months ago.

That's clearly a deal you jump at.

San Diego is the perfect place for Guthrie.

Absolutely...you would have to be really happy for Guthrie if he was dealt there. He probably could turn that into a nice little 2-3 year deal when he becomes a FA as well.

The Orioles are obviously looking at SD if we are to believe the reports out there. So, it would make sense to try and do something like this.

As of today, does Blanks have anymore upside than Bell had last year when we got him for Sherrill? Personally, I don't think so and you can make the case that Bell had the higher value due to production, service time and more importantly, position.

IIRC, SD is up against their budget constraints. I'm thinking even Guts' couple mill would be hard for them to take on. Something to consider.

Thats not what they have been saying publicly ScOtt:

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20100712&content_id=12219334&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

The Padres, with a payroll running slightly south of $40 million, have emerged as a surprise postseason contender in the National League thanks in no small part to a dominant pitching staff (both starters and relievers) and a tight defense that has turned "run prevention" into the new, hip buzzword around these parts.

The biggest question facing the Padres and first-year general manager Jed Hoyer is this: What do we do next?

Hoyer and owner Jeff Moorad have stated they are willing to add to the roster, even if that means adding payroll. But do they add a bat to help an offense that struggles against good pitching, or add an extra arm (or two) to help them down the stretch?

"I don't feel like you're ever all set," Hoyer said. "I think that we're looking on both sides [pitching and offense]."

http://blog.prorumors.com/2010/07/rumors/san-diego-padres-rumors-both-buyers-and-sellers/

7/1 09:55: San Diego Padres owner Jeff Moorad said his team will consider adding payroll to make a move which may include offensive players and a starting pitcher.

Of course he could be blowing smoke but I imagine the additional attendance revenue should allow them to take on as modest a salary as Guthrie's.

Absolutely...you would have to be really happy for Guthrie if he was dealt there. He probably could turn that into a nice little 2-3 year deal when he becomes a FA as well.

The Orioles are obviously looking at SD if we are to believe the reports out there. So, it would make sense to try and do something like this.

As of today, does Blanks have anymore upside than Bell had last year when we got him for Sherrill? Personally, I don't think so and you can make the case that Bell had the higher value due to production, service time and more importantly, position.

I'd prefer Blanks over Bell by a bit, but again, all that matters is how the two teams view him/them. ;)

Thats not what they have been saying publicly ScOtt:

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20100712&content_id=12219334&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

http://blog.prorumors.com/2010/07/rumors/san-diego-padres-rumors-both-buyers-and-sellers/

Of course he could be blowing smoke but I imagine the additional attendance revenue should allow them to take on as modest a salary as Guthrie's.

Well, the first four letters of my post make it suspect... IIRC. :P

I would love a deal of Guthrie and Scott to SD for Blanks, Cumberland and Forsythe. I would also propose that the Orioles kick in a few $$$ to make it happen. Of course the risk is all on the Orioles, as all three of the Pad players coming over are unproven. But a deal like this gets the Orioles the High upside infield prospects that we so desperately need without giving up any of the young pitchers to do so. And SD would then be in a great position to make a serious run into the post season. Lets do this deal.

Archived