Padres interested in Guthrie...

Greg Pappas

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to ask a silly question and it's probably in the wrong thread but here goes anyways.

With Showalter most likely becoming O's manager in the near future, does anybody think that any trades McPhail makes would most likely occur after Buck becomes manager? My rationale surrounds Buck's input or (the amount of input, if any) in the team that is fielded for him.

Guest rochester

I'd do Guts for Blanks and Cumberland - Forsythe would be icing...Anyway to get Minyeti from them??

I'll start with AA RHP and Top 50 prospect Simon Castro.

They also have a fine AA SS in Drew Cumberland.

CF'er Blake Tekotte also went from High A to AA and has solid upside as well.

2B'man Logan Forsythe has not developed power, but should be a solid OBP guy and he projects to hit for a good average.

Though I'm doubtful that they'd deal him, mammoth 1B'man Kyle Blanks would be another great target.

One thing to consider is the Padres' interest in Guthrie may stem from the fact that they believe he could be obtained without giving up any of their top prospects.

One thing to consider is the Padres' interest in Guthrie may stem from the fact that they believe he could be obtained without giving up any of their top prospects.

I think that you may be correct about the Padres believng that.

I would point out that Macphail will not think that way.

I'd do Guts for Blanks and Cumberland - Forsythe would be icing...Anyway to get Minyeti from them??

I would be very surprised if the Padres gave up Blanks, much less Blanks and a top-tier prospect. Then to start throwing in Forsythe and someone like Minyeti takes it into the realm of science fiction, IMO.

Cumberland and Tekotte, maybe.

I would be very surprised if the Padres gave up Blanks, much less Blanks and a top-tier prospect. Then to start throwing in Forsythe and someone like Minyeti takes it into the realm of science fiction, IMO.

No one in their wildest dreams thought the Rangers would give up Smoak, but they did. IMO the Pads may very well be thinking that the playoffs/world series = revenue needed to sign AG to a long term contract.

No one in their wildest dreams thought the Rangers would give up Smoak, but they did. IMO the Pads may very well be thinking that the playoffs/world series = revenue needed to sign AG to a long term contract.
Blanks is closer to Smoak, than Guthrie is to Lee. Not a good comparison.

I think that you may be correct about the Padres believng that.

I would point out that Macphail will not think that way.

I believe you are right about AM and his expectations, which is why I would be surprised if Guthrie is dealt.

Head-scratching trades happen in baseball all the time though, so who knows.

Curious, where do folks think Guthrie ranks on the expected-to-be-available SP list from MLBTR?

Roy Oswalt

Ted Lilly

Jake Westbrook

Ben Sheets

Dan Haren

Fausto Carmona

Paul Maholm

Dave Bush

Edwin Jackson

Ricky Nolasco

Brett Myers

Jeremy Guthrie

Brian Bannister

Livan Hernandez

Shaun Marcum

Wade Davis

Pedro Martinez

Braden Looper

Jarrod Washburn

With that amount of inventory, I'd be hard pressed to see a strong return on many of these guys.

Guest rochester

Agree 100%.....when adding Forsythe. Minyeto question should have read as separate, as was the intent. I would offer Guts for Blanks and Cumberland - see what happens - should at least get a discussion going. There are other pieces that we can put into the discussion.

Archived