Padres interested in Guthrie...

Greg Pappas

Curious, where do folks think Guthrie ranks on the expected-to-be-available SP list from MLBTR?

Roy Oswalt

Ted Lilly

Jake Westbrook

Ben Sheets

Dan Haren

Fausto Carmona

Paul Maholm

Dave Bush

Edwin Jackson

Ricky Nolasco

Brett Myers

Jeremy Guthrie

Brian Bannister

Livan Hernandez

Shaun Marcum

Wade Davis

Pedro Martinez

Braden Looper

Jarrod Washburn

With that amount of inventory, I'd be hard pressed to see a strong return on many of these guys.

Unfortunately, you've hit on the reason why it'll be difficult to trade Guts. But... if a team (like SD) sees he has the combo of ability and intangibles, something good might get done, because he comes across as an exceptional person (at least imo) - and that makes the difference sometimes - especially when we're talking about a bunch of pitchers with roughly equal ability.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why so venomous?
I think it's because Guthrie always seems to lose, whether it be a great performance with no run support, or his own doing. So, all of the losing (whether his fault or not), plus always at or near the top in homers allowed, hit batters, etc, has made him kind of a downer to watch.

There are rumors out there saying that Palmer offered to help some of the Orioles pitchers, and one of our pitchers said he looked up Palmer's stats and made a comment like "he ain't that impressive" and thus declined Palmer's help. The rumor/best guess is that the pitcher in question was Guthrie. If so, good riddance!

Guest rochester
There are rumors out there saying that Palmer offered to help some of the Orioles pitchers, and one of our pitchers said he looked up Palmer's stats and made a comment like "he ain't that impressive" and thus declined Palmer's help. The rumor/best guess is that the pitcher in question was Guthrie. If so, good riddance!

Wow, I must have missed this - I was under the impression that they talked quite a bit from hearing Palmer - if that's true.. wow, just wow :(

Hard to say who Dibble was referencing but I also recall Guthrie being one of our guys who actually worked with Palmer: recall the story of Guthrie working with Palmer on the "sock drill." Thus, I really have a hard time believing that it was Guthrie. In any event, whoever looked at Palmer's stats and came to that conclusion is an idiot. I shake my head in amazement every time his stats are in front of me.

That would seem out of character for Guthrie, so I would put approximately zero faith in the accuracy of the "rumor".

What do people think of a trade of Guthrie and Corey Patterson for Blanks? The Pads need OFers, and I'd think Patterson would be a fine fit.

It's really hard to say what they'd offer and what we'd ask for. What you or I ask for may not be what AM asks for... so there's that.

For me, I'd ask for Blanks straight up for Guthrie... they would probably refuse that. Then I'd try Castro + Cumberland... etc.

Castro + Cumberland would be a heck of a deal!

Unfortunately, you've hit on the reason why it'll be difficult to trade Guts. But... if a team (like SD) sees he has the combo of ability and intangibles, something good might get done, because he comes across as an exceptional person (at least imo) - and that makes the difference sometimes - especially when we're talking about a bunch of pitchers with roughly equal ability.

Haren and Oswalt are obviously on a different level but they are also going to cost a lot more and are more expensive, which does take some teams out of the mix.

The rest of the guys? Its pretty much a toss up across the board and not all of those names will be available anyway and most won't get traded.

However, not many of them have proven to be a 4.50 ERA or better pitcher in AL East for a 3 year period while eating a lot of innings...Guthrie has done that and that means a lot more than a guy that is a 4ish ERA pitcher that throws 170 innings in the NL or AL Central.

There is no reason to think Guthrie should or will fetch less than what we got for Sherrill last year.

Haren and Oswalt are obviously on a different level but they are also going to cost a lot more and are more expensive, which does take some teams out of the mix.

The rest of the guys? Its pretty much a toss up across the board and not all of those names will be available anyway and most won't get traded.

However, not many of them have proven to be a 4.50 ERA or better pitcher in AL East for a 3 year period while eating a lot of innings...Guthrie has done that and that means a lot more than a guy that is a 4ish ERA pitcher that throws 170 innings in the NL or AL Central.

There is no reason to think Guthrie should or will fetch less than what we got for Sherrill last year.

Agreed. The description of Guthrie above is the type of durable pitcher that generally gets a decent contract in the free agent market. Not to mention that Guthrie is under control for 2 more years before he's eligible for free agency which has value as well.

I am not the biggest fan of AM, but I do put a fair amount of trust in him when it comes to making trades. If they move Guthrie, I feel they will only trade him for the best return.

Maybe they could have another person take care of free agents, and AM take care of all of the trades.

I really hope we move Guthrie this year.

I think this is the highest his value will get. It stinks that he's struggled a bit lately, if he had a 3.75 ERA right now he'd look a lot better. Hopefully he can put together 2-3 good starts before the deadline and we can move him for something pretty solid.

A young (AA-MLB) SS or 1B would be ideal.

Wow, I must have missed this - I was under the impression that they talked quite a bit from hearing Palmer - if that's true.. wow, just wow :(
The odds of the story as we heard it from Dibble being exactly what went down are about the same as the odds of the Orioles making the playoffs this year.

Castro + Cumberland would be a heck of a deal!

My apologies for the misunderstanding... I meant to imply that those deals are how Andy MacPhail might begin Guthrie trade talks- in an attempt to get the best deal. IMHO San Diego would not make that deal, and would counter with far less. Who knows if we will meet in the middle?

Fair enough. I have to agree that any pitcher who can do a solid job in the AL East can be quite successful in the NL. Frankly, if I was SD, I would make a legit offer for Guthrie... and Patterson.

Archived