McPhail defends pace of hiring a new manager

neverknew97

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“It’s not dragging,” said MacPhail, almost incredulous that the process is being questioned by fans and reporters. “Again, there is no timetable here. It’s not like the barn is on fire right now. The players are doing a nice job for Juan. I just think that kind of [talk] is just wrong.”

Andy really needs to get out more often and talk to more people. Or maybe different kinds of people. I'm sick of taking the easy potshots so I'll resist the obvious temptation here, but I can't imagine he would make statements like these if he knew how risible they were to an increasingly large percentage of the fan base.

The questions are coming for a reason, Andy. They're coming because you no longer have a free pass and fans are asking for some accountability as is their right. You might think about at least generating the appearance of some more urgency even if you have no intention of moving one whit faster than your current glacial pace.

I have often thought that AM is not the best PR person in the world. And this interview just backs up my opinion.

While I agree that the timing of the hire is vastly less important than who they hire and for what reasons (thus I agree with him largely) the statement about the barn door isn't on fire is a major PR gaffe as far as I am concerned. Basically he is telling a fan base that has seen 13 straight losing seasons with a W/L record that has gotten worse each year of his tenure, and a current record that is 14 games out of 4th place and on pace to match the worst record in franchise history that he sees no need for urgency and he does it in a semi-sarcastic way.

To me the right statement should have been "We are going about this process as quickly as we feel is appropriate while making sure we are finding the right person for the future of the organization."

This I could deal with.

The barn door quote and the fact that he is upset that fans are getting impatient is beyond comprehension to me.

Great post here!

I agree that the barn has burned to the ground. But it burned to the ground about 3 years ago, when Andy blew up the old team by trading Bedard, etc.

We've been standing around a cracked foundation for three years now, scratching our collective chin and making "shrewd" moves like signing bargain castaways and over-the-hill players and playing them out of position.

Now we're wondering if Buck might have plans to build a new barn. But we're not sure. We want to make some more shrewd moves while we scratch our chins for a few more months.

Yawn... Maybe in 2013 or so we can get the frame up on this new barn. By 2020, we'll be competitive. Or not.

I agree that the barn has burned to the ground. But it burned to the ground about 3 years ago, when Andy blew up the old team by trading Bedard, etc.

We've been standing around a cracked foundation for three years now, scratching our collective chin and making "shrewd" moves like signing bargain castaways and over-the-hill players and playing them out of position.

Now we're wondering if Buck might have plans to build a new barn. But we're not sure. We want to make some more shrewd moves while we scratch our chins for a few more months.

Yawn... Maybe in 2013 or so we can get the frame up on this new barn. By 2020, we'll be competitive. Or not.

The Amish can rebuild a barn in a day.

Any Amish general managers available for hire????

Then he's going to have the non-waiver deadline, then roster expansion, then arbitration, then the rule 5 draft, then the winter meetings, then signing a 36 year old who's been on the decline for 4 years, then spring training, then opening day. It's going to be mid-April 2011 before the O's get a new manager.

Archived