McPhail defends pace of hiring a new manager

neverknew97

I think they could easily be trying to get his coaching staff squared away...In fact, if I had to bet money on what the hold up is, that would be it..But I do think it takes an extremely naive person to not think this could blow up in our faces and the Orioles could blow this.

A naive person deals in absolutes. Of course it could happen. Place odds on it happening and see where people bet.

I'd have to get pretty good odds on this blowing up to bet on it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they could easily be trying to get his coaching staff squared away...In fact, if I had to bet money on what the hold up is, that would be it..But I do think it takes an extremely naive person to not think this could blow up in our faces and the Orioles could blow this.

I think it ultimately will come down to Angelos. If he really likes and wants Showalter, it will happen, whether it's now or in a few weeks. If Angelos doesn't feel that strongly about him, then yes, it could all blow up.

A naive person deals in absolutes. Of course it could happen. Place odds on it happening and see where people bet.

I'd have to get pretty good odds on this blowing up to bet on it.

Same here...I doubt it happens. It is hard to believe that even the Orioles could screw this up but it is possible, that's for sure.

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I just really don't see what how this team plays under Samuel means anything at this point, unless he was a serious candidate for the job.

Well their is a very small chance of this happening but if these players really like Samuel, Kranitz, Crowley and staff and play their hearts out for them and win - then that would be fine with me. In fact it would be enjoyable.

All the players have to know that Samuel and all the coaches are likely gone soon after Buck takes over. Maybe they want what they have over what they don't know. If that makes them pull together and win. That could be fun to watch.

The very last thing I will say on this topic until Buck is either hired or bow's out, which I think is unlikely, is that he knows the O's need him. He is in a great bargainning position and therefore is entitled to ask for the moon. AM will not give him the moon and therefore the negotiations will last a long time. I liken it to the early round draft picks. It would be smarter overall to get them into the system quickly but negotiations stretch on usually until the very last second. For better or worse both BS and AM have ego's and both have to be satisfied before signing anything.

I don't know...Juan has a 10-7 streak going...maybe we don't need him :rolleyes:

What does this have to do with the stupid comments he made?

As I said in by prior post, he may sound defensive because he knows things that others don't about where the negotiations stand (e.g., perhaps Buck and AM have an agreement in principle in place and just have to finailize the details, and Buck and/or his agent are working through this process now). Hence, he sounds a little defensive in responding to questions (it seems repeatedly) about why this is dragging. AM could have responded better, but many of us could sound defensive in a similiar situation. Heck, I'm sure I sound defensive in many of my responses on this board and so do you.

As I said in by prior post, he may sound defensive because he knows things that others don't about where the negotiations stand (e.g., perhaps Buck and AM have an agreement in principle in place and just have to finailize the details, and Buck and/or his agent are working through this process now). Hence, he sounds a little defensive in responding to questions (it seems repeatedly) about why this is dragging. AM could have responded better, but many of us could sound defensive in a similiar situation. Heck, I'm sure I sound defensive in many of my responses on this board and so do you.

Forget sounding defensive...The Samuel comments aren't really defensive...They are just dumb.

AM deserves everything he gets right now...if he can't handle it, quit.

Same here...I doubt it happens. It is hard to believe that even the Orioles could screw this up but it is possible, that's for sure.

You keep asuming that the O's are the hang up, but perhaps Buck is the hang up.

Am I the only one assuming that it's a done deal and they've just agreed that a few things need to happen prior to making it official (e.g., picking his staff)?

The hints from the sun that he'll be the coach soon seem like a pretty strong hint to me.

I think this is just us making a mountain out of a mole hill. And my us, I don't mean me. :D

No, you're not. I'm tired of reading all the conjecture and all the hand-wringing because the length of the process proves that Showalter isn't going to sign here.

Everyone acts like the Orioles are going to name him manager and all of a sudden they're going to push the Easy button and win the next 10 games. There's only so much you can do with what you're given ...

Forget sounding defensive...The Samuel comments aren't really defensive...They are just dumb.

AM deserves everything he gets right now...if he can't handle it, quit.

Unless you know what is driving these comments you can't say they're dumb. If AM knows BS is getting the job but it may take a couple of more weeks for that to happen, why usurp Juan's authority with the players until it happens? Why not let the players to continue to think Juan may be the guy, so they continue to play hard for him? Why not build up the job Juan has done, to help him in the future? There could be numerous reasons for AM to make these statements about Samuel, including that they were simply off the wall dumb statements, but without more insight no one can say.

Unless you know what is driving these comments you can't say they're dumb. If AM knows BS is getting the job but it may take a couple of more weeks for that to happen, why usurp Juan's authority with the players until it happens? Why not let the players to continue to think Juan may be the guy, so they continue to play hard for him? Why not build up the job Juan has done, to help him in the future? There could be numerous reasons for AM to make these statements about Samuel, including that they were simply off the wall dumb statements, but without more insight no one can say.

Saying something about Juan's record and maybe seeing how things play out is dumb.

Archived