Yankees no show at Sheppard's funeral...

Moose Milligan

I don't see the big deal here. Those players have only so many days during the season to be with their family - to expect them to go to a funeral for someone they may only marginally know, that's too much to expect.

Elrod's situation might've been different since he had been a coach with daily contact with the players.

Sheppard didn't have a close relationship with any of the players. Cashman represented the team. Mountain out of a mole hill.

Didn't Jeter play up a close relationship with him. Only has Sheppard announce him at MFY Stadium. I'm sure beaner will be in here shortly to defend him, but seems kind of crass on Jeter's part.

Didn't Jeter play up a close relationship with him. Only has Sheppard announce him at MFY Stadium. I'm sure beaner will be in here shortly to defend him, but seems kind of crass on Jeter's part.

No, he didn't. He used his recording as a tribute, but they weren't close.

On another note, Jeter is starting to show his age.

Maybe his 5 World Series rings temporarily blinded him as he was about to get on a plane...;) They said there would be no announcing tonight, just guys walking to the plate..that's pretty cool in my opinion.

Seriously though, I was a bit surprised when I read that none of the Yankees showed up, but like someone said, they only have a certain amount of days off during the season, and you can't fault anyone for wanting to spend time with family.

EDIT: Updated story, Jeter says he didn't know the funeral was yesterday..

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5386264

j

NOT A SINGLE YANKEE PLAYER..NOT ONE..COULD TAKE THE TIME TO ATTEND THE MAN'S FUNERAL AFTER 50 PLUS YEARS OF SERVICE..HE HARDLY EVER MISSED A GAME IN 50 PLUS YEARS..AND THEY COULDNT TAKE A FEW HOURS TO ATTEND HIS FUNERAL.

AND YOU DONT THINK THATS SMALL?

WOW.

Derek Jeter(the captain) admitted he didnt even know when the funeral was...incredible."You dont have to attend funerals to honor people"he said.

Really?

Then why even bother HAVING funerals or memorial services.

Its selfish is what it is. And highly disrespectful. BY ALL OF THEM.

BTW; just so you know, I think ANY player who couldve been at Elrod's funeral and didnt for any reason short of personal emergency should also be ashamed of themselves.So I rip the Oriole players too! And always have!

Hey Roy...

I can't tell if you're directing your comments at me or simply using my post as a stepping-off point for your own thoughts, but for the record, I share your outrage. Quoting Yogi in this context was irony, not disrespect.

We're both old enough to remember the great Yankee teams of the early '60's. Some of my favorite memories are of games the Orioles took from them as I listened in the dark on my transistor radio long after my parents thought I was asleep. I have to believe that Mantle and Maris and Ford and many others from that legendary era would have made the effort if they could.

Following is a quote from Bob Sheppard that appears in Wikipedia:

"Sheppard also related that Mantle once told him, "...'Everytime Bob Sheppard introduced me at Yankee Stadium, I got shivers up my spine.' And I said to him, 'So did I.'"

It's a different day and a different age, and along with the passage of time comes the recognition that Jeter will never be confused with Mantle regardless of how long he plays. Nor will these Yankees ever be confused with those that Houk managed. Jeter's excuses for not doing the right thing at the time when it needed to be done will never resonate like Mantle's gracious homage.

When it needs to be done.... That's the important part when it comes to funerals isn't it? Like some clever someone once said, there's never a second chance to make a last impression.

I didnt expect all the Yankees to attend but I certainly expected Jeter or some of the Yankees who have been there a long time to show and pay their respects.

I mean every single Tiger attended Ernie Harwell's funeral.

Big difference. Mr. Harwell was a broadcaster. He traveled with the team. He meandered thru the clubhouse. He spoke with and interviewed players.

Mr. Sheppard was an PA announcer and rarely was seen out of his booth. He announced line ups and introduced players as they came to bat. He really had no relationship with them.

He was honored at the stadium with a very nice tribute.

Big difference. Mr. Harwell was a broadcaster. He traveled with the team. He meandered thru the clubhouse. He spoke with and interviewed players.

Mr. Sheppard was an PA announcer and rarely was seen out of his booth. He announced line ups and introduced players as they came to bat. He really had no relationship with them.

He was honored at the stadium with a very nice tribute.

Relationship or not, Bob Sheppard was a legend at Yankee Stadium and not ONE player could take the time to pay their last respects at his funeral? It's low and the players are deserving of the criticism. Jeter's comment about not attending funerals is just run of the mill cockiness that the Yankee players are exude once they put on those pinstripes. You heard he died, right? I would think the next step would be to find out when the funeral is and then attend it. It's not that difficult. "I didn't know it was yesterday." That is the lamest excuse I ever heard and Jeter should know better.

j

NOT A SINGLE YANKEE PLAYER..NOT ONE..COULD TAKE THE TIME TO ATTEND THE MAN'S FUNERAL AFTER 50 PLUS YEARS OF SERVICE..HE HARDLY EVER MISSED A GAME IN 50 PLUS YEARS..AND THEY COULDNT TAKE A FEW HOURS TO ATTEND HIS FUNERAL.

AND YOU DONT THINK THATS SMALL?

WOW.

Derek Jeter(the captain) admitted he didnt even know when the funeral was...incredible."You dont have to attend funerals to honor people"he said.

Really?

Then why even bother HAVING funerals or memorial services.

Its selfish is what it is. And highly disrespectful. BY ALL OF THEM.

BTW; just so you know, I think ANY player who couldve been at Elrod's funeral and didnt for any reason short of personal emergency should also be ashamed of themselves.So I rip the Oriole players too! And always have!

I agree with you Roy!!!!!

I still miss Elrod:002_scry:

Archived