MacPhail: O's willing to take "big-time" player in a salary dump

JTrea81

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/07/decision_coming_with_gonzalez.html

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said on Thursday that the Orioles are in position to potentially claim a player who another team puts on waivers to potentially shed a big contract. That happened last year when the Chicago White Sox claimed talented Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios, a gutsy move that has paid off with Rios regaining his All-Star form. We all know how many problems the Orioles have in attracting proven free agents so it could be a way for the team to get a solid, albeit well-compensated player without giving up any young talent. “A claim would be something that would definitely be attractive," MacPhail said. "The trade for a big-time player, if it’s going to subtract from the core guys you are trying to build around, that becomes more problematic. It’s something you obviously would have to look at.”

Derrek Lee, come on down...

The only problem with this, is that teams do not usually put awesome players on waivers and let them get claimed without trying to work out a deal first.

Rios was a major gamble by the Sox.

I'd rather see him trade for Fielder and give up the prospects than take on a really crappy deal. We are going to have to trade something to get a quality player back. It's time to stop looking in the garbage heap to add a premium player.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/07/decision_coming_with_gonzalez.html

Derrek Lee, come on down...

The only problem with this, is that teams do not usually put awesome players on waivers and let them get claimed without trying to work out a deal first.

Rios was a major gamble by the Sox.

I'd rather see him trade for Fielder and give up the prospects than take on a really crappy deal. We are going to have to trade something to get a quality player back. It's time to stop looking in the garbage heap to add a premium player.

The bolded is a major, obvious problem. If MacPhail thinks he can placate the fanbase by taking another flier on an overpaid, underproducing veteran, I hope he finds his way to the airport, one way ticket in hand, sooner rather than later.

Derek Lee is a free agent after this year, right? I don't know what his thoughts about Baltimore are, but I would imagine that we would not be his first choice. However, if he goes on waivers and we claim him, it may give us some time to entice him to sign a contract extension for a couple of years. I think if we bring in Showalter, Roberts, and keep Pie healthy for the rest of the year, our team will look much better going forward.

Not so sure about that Trea. The core has looked rather rotten this summer. I think we need to keep as many of them around as possible.

Indeed, we have Bell, Moore, Simon, Mata etc. on the team. If the core was so good would they be here? (Bell aside...)

Still, this is good news. I was hoping they'd be willing to take on contracts to get better players in any deal.

Who are we missing that has several years left on a sizable contract that his current team might want to shed? I just can't think of who that might be. Berkman?

Well, keeping with the Cubs theme...Zambrano and Soriano are two. :eektf:

Archived