MacPhail: O's willing to take "big-time" player in a salary dump

JTrea81

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Lee is a free agent after this year, right? I don't know what his thoughts about Baltimore are, but I would imagine that we would not be his first choice. However, if he goes on waivers and we claim him, it may give us some time to entice him to sign a contract extension for a couple of years. I think if we bring in Showalter, Roberts, and keep Pie healthy for the rest of the year, our team will look much better going forward.

But then we'd be stuck with old and brittle Derek Lee for a couple of years. He's not any kind of solution for us anymore. Maybe 5 years ago.

Here is a great whacko thread from MLBTR's forums, in which a Yankees' fan thinks they should trade Tex and eat salary for Joey Votto.

Oh yeah, but the Reds have to throw in Yonder Alonso too "because Tex is such a big name."

http://www.mlbtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=3448

The entrance of Arthur Bryant spurs another thought for me. What could we get from KC if we took back some of what KC wants to part with? They desperately want to deal Guillen and I can't see why they would not want to part with Meche and his contract. David DeJesus, although an entirely different situation is said to also be available. I could see KC as a one stop shopping center for us if we were willing to take back Guillen and Meche. I would offer them Jones, Scott and Guthrie for Guillen, Meche, Gordon, Kila and Dejesus. What do you think?

The entrance of Arthur Bryant spurs another thought for me. What could we get from KC if we took back some of what KC wants to part with? They desperately want to deal Guillen and I can't see why they would not want to part with Meche and his contract. David DeJesus, although an entirely different situation is said to also be available. I could see KC as a one stop shopping center for us if we were willing to take back Guillen and Meche. I would offer them Jones, Scott and Guthrie for Guillen, Meche, Gordon, Kila and Dejesus. What do you think?

IMO, that would be a bad deal for the O's even without factoring in Guillen and Meche. The Royals would probably also feel that Guthrie and Scott are getting pricey. And with the season running out, the salary relief on Guillen becomes less important. At this point he is probably due only five or six more paychecks, and then he's gone.

Basically I don't see the Royals selling low on good young players in order to get out of bad contracts. If they were ready to do that, they'd have done it with Guillen this past winter. If they trade Gordon or DeJesus, it'll be for young pitching.

Who are we missing that has several years left on a sizable contract that his current team might want to shed? I just can't think of who that might be. Berkman?

Berkman And Tejada I beleive they were the King Of Swing couple years back on a baseball card I have maybe that will be a nice promotion for one game HAHA!

Off the top of my head; Helton, Pierre, Berkman, Soriano. Who else?

It's not a huge contract, and it wouldn't happen during the season I don't think, but maybe Furcal. I know the Dodgers financial position is not good, I just don't know how much payroll they have to reduce. Ramirez expires, but guys like Kemp, Martin, and Billingsley would get raises. They have DeJesus and Hu in their system, along with Gordon. Something to explore, imo.

AM gets criticized for saying he would take on more salary for a big bat. If he had said he wouldn't do so, I bet many of the same posters would be criticizing him for that position as well.

Taking on salary for a waived big bat is a lot different than taking on salary for a premium big bat via trade...

He's still dumpster diving, only he's willing to go through the ones in the back of the gourmet restaurant instead of McDonald's now.

AM gets criticized for saying he would take on more salary for a big bat. If he had said he wouldn't do so, I bet many of the same posters would be criticizing him for that position as well.

I guess I missed it. Who criticized him for saying he would take on a big salary?

I guess I missed it. Who criticized him for saying he would take on a big salary?

Look at the post above yours which states: "He's still dumpster diving, only he's willing to go through the ones in the back of the gourmet restaurant instead of McDonald's now.

Here's another quote from an above post:

"If MacPhail thinks he can placate the fanbase by taking another flier on an overpaid, underproducing veteran, I hope he finds his way to the airport, one way ticket in hand, sooner rather than later."

Archived