MacPhail: O's willing to take "big-time" player in a salary dump

JTrea81

Look at the post above yours.

I just looked at it, and I definitely did not criticize him for his statement. In fact, I will go on the record right now in stating that he has no choice at this point. He either has to deal from a position of depth, and maybe out of his core, or he will have to spend big dollars. The Millwoods, Wiggy's, Miggi's, etc. will not get us a ML level player in return or a high upside MiL'er. Me thinks you need to work on your reading comprehension.:laughlol:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just looked at it, and I definitely did not criticize him for his statement. In fact, I will go on the record right now in stating that he has no choice at this point. He either has to deal from a position of depth, and maybe out of his core, or he will have to spend big dollars. The Millwoods, Wiggy's, Miggi's, etc. will not get us a ML level player in return or a high upside MiL'er. Me thinks you need to work on your reading comprehension.:laughlol:

Me thinks you utilize the ignore feature and missed the referenced post. :D

I know. I wasn't referring to every poster (and not you), only those that criticize regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

Vernon Wells, Carlos Lee, Jason Bay?

That's the right train of thought for this type of transaction. Although I don't think I'd go after him because he's really had a bad year and he's owed a ton over the next two years. He has a full no trade clause that expires after the season though.

I know. I wasn't referring to every poster (and not you), only those that criticize regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

Tell me if these two things are the same:

a. Somebody sees a pack of gum in a store, decides his/her horrible breath could use some minty freshness, and pays full price in order to remedy the situation.

b. Somebody sees an opened pack of gum laying on the sidewalk, decides his/her horrible breath could use some minty freshness, and decides to grab a piece out of the pack instead of walking to the CVS around the corner and buying a new, clean pack that hasn't been discarded by a former owner.

If you answered yes...I'm sorry.

We're criticizing MacPhail, as was clearly stated, for apparently taking the same approach that he did with guys like Atkins. Some other team's salary problem probably isn't a real solution to the Orioles' countless other problems.

a. Somebody sees a pack of gum in a store, decides his/her horrible breath could use some minty freshness, and pays full price in order to remedy the situation.

b. Somebody sees an opened pack of gum laying on the sidewalk, decides his/her horrible breath could use some minty freshness, and decides to grab a piece out of the pack instead of walking to the CVS around the corner and buying a new, clean pack that hasn't been discarded by a former owner.

We're criticizing MacPhail, as was clearly stated, for apparently taking the same approach that he did with guys like Atkins. Some other team's salary problem probably isn't a real solution to the Orioles' countless other problems.

I think the point is that he could take another teams salary problem along with a couple of high upside young players. Those high upside young players would not be in his reach, until he concedes to take the bad contract with them. He has to do it.

I think the point is that he could take another teams salary problem along with a couple of high upside young players. Those high upside young players would not be in his reach, until he concedes to take the bad contract with them. He has to do it.

Trades =/= waiver claims, which is what the original quote addressed.

So you would be against hypothetically taking on Vernon Wells' contract, and then using that positional flexibility to ship Pie to Milwaukee with Patton and Guts + another MiL for Fielder? Not saying that exact scenario would happen (or would be feasible), but something similar might.

So you would be against hypothetically taking on Vernon Wells' contract, and then using that positional flexibility to ship Pie to Milwaukee with Patton and Guts + another MiL for Fielder? Not saying that exact scenario would happen (or would be feasible), but something similar might.

This a much closer scenario to what AM's talking about than another Atkins signing, IMO.

Vernon Wells? A player who's making a ridiculous amount of money and who hasn't hit 30+ HR's in a season since 2006? Whose career OPS+ is 108? Who's had two sub-90 OPS+ seasons in the last four years? Yes, I would be against that.

Not to mention the fact that Guthrie, Patton, Pie and a MiLer would not net Fielder. I'm not even if favor of trading for Fielder, but if a deal like that would get it done, I'd pull the trigger immediately.

If we do acquire a player in this way, it will be one with the following three qualities: declining, old, and overpaid. Vernon Wells, Barry Zito, maybe Soriano or Zambrano. Not Derrek Lee, Lance Berkman, etc.

Absolute best case: we get a Wells or Soriano, they have one career year for us over the rest of their contract, and we break almost even in terms of production and dollars spent.

I'm not interested. If we have money to burn, spend it in free agency. At least then you're not guaranteed to be getting a terrible deal.

Vernon Wells? A player who's making a ridiculous amount of money and who hasn't hit 30+ HR's in a season since 2006? Whose career OPS+ is 108? Who's had two sub-90 OPS+ seasons in the last four years? Yes, I would be against that.

Not to mention the fact that Guthrie, Patton, Pie and a MiLer would not net Fielder. I'm not even if favor of trading for Fielder, but if a deal like that would get it done, I'd pull the trigger immediately.

The other thing to remember is that, if you take on a major salary via trade to get a big bat as opposed to signing a big bat in the off season, you may also save a draft choice(s).

No offense, but this will never happen. I don't think it ever has.

Archived