Did Andy and Tony Meet?

soxhotcorner14

I wasn't thinking of any of you (nor BaltimoreTerp who neg repped me) when I made that comment. My apologies if any of you took offense.

Also, I apologize for the retaliatory neg rep BT. I'm still going to stick my tongue out at you though. :P;)

Fair's fair. Have to be careful what you say in times like this, though ;)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you would be surprised how often what we think should be done isn't done.

No...not really. I'm a middle-aged adult who has a great deal of life experience. I'm fully aware of what's right and what isn't.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion as am I...and I don't get the kudos comment. But so be it. The Hangout has media credentials, reports on the coming's and going's and has all of the connections just like the other media outlets in the surrounding area. Even though this might not be a full-time profession for Tony and staff....in order to conduct themselves in a professional manner they need to take on the proper due dilligence. It's just a matter of being responsible. It's the work that goes into reporting.

No...not really. I'm a middle-aged adult who has a great deal of life experience. I'm fully aware of what's right and what isn't.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion as am I...and I don't get the kudos comment. But so be it. The Hangout has media credentials, reports on the coming's and going's and has all of the connections just like the other media outlets in the surrounding area. Even though this might not be a full-time profession for Tony and staff....in order to conduct themselves in a professional manner they need to take on the proper due dilligence. It's just a matter of being responsible. It's the work that goes into reporting.

A middle aged adult with life experience should know that there's simply no good reason to critique another person's attempt at politeness, even if you think that a particular expression is unnecessary.

Criticize the person who cuts off a stranger in traffic. Refrain from criticizing the person who thanks someone else for something you wouldn't.

Maybe it is, or maybe it's not. Depends on what you think the job is. If you had old-timey Commish power, that would be one thing, you could do stuff for the good of the game. But these days, it's mainly just being a mouthpiece for the owners. I think AM's interest in it might come down to his own estimation of his ability to get them to act in the best interests of baseball. As much as I respect AM, I don't think he can do that. Maybe he thinks he can, but I don't. Fixing the O's will be a lot easier than doing that...

That's why I asked. If it was me I'd rather be closer to the baseball side. Being Commish is a thankless job. Mouthpiece for the owners, every little or big thing that goes wrong is YOUR fault yet YOU're expected to fix it. And at it's core it's a PR job. Like Tim Robbins in The Hudsucker Proxy. A figurehead.

It's almost as annoying as being called a "Trea follower" just for having a negative view of anything in Birdland. I'm not piling on Lex - he didn't mean any harm by his comment. But if you're calling foul on this, I'm calling foul on the same thing when it applies to negative posts.

I absolutely agree! I try not to do it myself. Not to sound too cum bay ya -ey... we can all fight like cats and dogs but still be civil.

Prayin4Reign, I think the kudos are deserved because so much these days is a one line tweet with little evidence behind it. Better to be first than to be right. It's a sad state of affairs but there we are.

A middle aged adult with life experience should know that there's simply no good reason to critique another person's attempt at politeness, even if you think that a particular expression is unnecessary.

Criticize the person who cuts off a stranger in traffic. Refrain from criticizing the person who thanks someone else for something you wouldn't.

I'll gladly respect your opinion. :) I'm confident in mine.

I have no expectations of the "expose". For me this has gone on so long that it has the potential to be meaningless. However, in my short time here I have never seen Tony be so bitter and almost disdainful in everything about the Orioles. Therefore I am concerned that this will put forward information that will be "opinion" changing.

I do not mean to sound negative regarding Tony but I hope the expose is very boring. I appreciate his efforts and while I hope the piece is not "newsworthy"...I am prepared to have many beliefs about the O's changed but respectfully hope that there is nothing new at all...it's not like it isn't bad enough already!:laughlol:

It's almost as annoying as being called a "Trea follower" just for having a negative view of anything in Birdland. I'm not piling on Lex - he didn't mean any harm by his comment. But if you're calling foul on this, I'm calling foul on the same thing when it applies to negative posts.

People should be able to have opinions without being labelled and people should be able to make their points without labelling. (Gee, that sounds way too Kumbaya-ish).

If I were King of the blogosphere for one day, I'd ban the use of the word "apologist". People throw it out at anyone who disagrees with them and all it does is end all respectful discussion.

Like most here, I think Pete has always been clueless and hate that the team loses all the time. I am a little reluctant to throw Andy over the side because I think that it's a really bad idea to change leadership every two or three years. I suspect Andy needs someone on the field side with enough power and respect to push him into action a bit faster. Since Hargrove, the Orioles have only hired caretaker guys. They may as well all be called "interim".

"The plan" may or may not work. Starting over every couple of years certainly won't. If things don't change for the better by Trea's countdown date, I may be ready to cut bait.

Most importantly, I hope this article come soon. :D

I think it would be funny if instead of releasing this article on the front page of the hangout and with a link to it in a thread that Tony just puts the whole article up in some random thread here on the hangout and leaves it up to us to find it!

The piece will be out some time tomorrow.

It's over 9,000 words and in the end, you will be able to make up your own mind. I'm sure some will be be disappointed, and some will be surprised. Some will think I didn't go far enough while others will questions my "sources".

In the end, I never called this an expose, and I never wanted to actually do this piece. I've spent an unbelievable amount of time talking with people (more than anything I've ever done for the site), digging up information, and generally trying to get this story out correct.

I'll let you all judge whether it was worth my time.

I'll let it stand as the best job I could do.

The piece will be out some time tomorrow.

It's over 9,000 words and in the end, you will be able to make up your own mind. I'm sure some will be be disappointed, and some will be surprised. Some will think I didn't go far enough while others will questions my "sources".

In the end, I never called this an expose, and I never wanted to actually do this piece. I've spent an unbelievable amount of time talking with people (more than anything I've ever done for the site), digging up information, and generally trying to get this story out correct.

I appreciate the effort and look forward to reading it. Thanks.

I just wanted to say thanks for your effort. Not everyone will be happy, I'm sure, but the fact you wanted to get some information that you found, at the least, interesting, and took that much time out of your life to do it shows how much you care about the Orioles, and more importantly, us hardcore fans that show up here on Hangout multiple times a day.

How many of the 9,000 words are expletives? :D

Seriously, that's something like 36 pages double-spaced. That's a lot to chew on.

Holy crap, you're right. I had to go check a 10 page research paper I did recently, and that was only around 2500 words.

There's no doubt in my mind that it'll be worth the time you put into it. Thanks for the effort. You're about to do something for Orioles baseball that no other local reporters seem to have the balls to do. At least I think so.

I have no idea how this will effect OH plus membership, but I bet your rep explodes with the release of this piece. :D

Archived