Is Mahoney a prospect now?

wildcard

Ok this kid keeps rolling along. He is a proper aged kid at AA hitting over 400 with power. Good patience, great speed very projectible body. I assume you goes to afl if he continues do we not look for a first baseman this offseason. I would think you get close to saying between reimold, Scott, snyder, hughs, this kid and Aubry seone will imerge.

I like the idea of sending Mahoney to the AFL.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the chance to see Bowie up here in Portland last night and was most excited to see Mahoney. Loved what I saw. Seems to have great athletic body control, despite his size. Somehow to me, Richie Sexson always looked like he was fighting with his size but I don't get that from Mahoney at all. He's super comfortable and quiet pre-pitch.

He had three hits, though one of the doubles was a complete jam shot. Still, nice that he had the power to muscle it into left field. His second double was an absolute screaming liner to the gap in left-center, again going with the pitch.

Mahoney is really starting to impress now that he keeps on hitting. Does anyone think it would make sense to give him some time in Baltimore in September to see just how close to the Majors he really is? I like the AFL idea as well, but I think a look in Baltimore might make sense even if it meant he couldn't go to the AFL.

Mahoney is really starting to impress now that he keeps on hitting. Does anyone think it would make sense to give him some time in Baltimore in September to see just how close to the Majors he really is? I like the AFL idea as well, but I think a look in Baltimore might make sense even if it meant he couldn't go to the AFL.

I think the better idea would be to give him a couple weeks off before the AFL starts.

The only way I give him a September call up is if he continues hitting at

the extreme he is now and he has to be added to the 40 man this offseason because of the rule 5 draft. I think he has one more year before that is the case however. I would think it is likely we see snyder.

I would rather see Snyder, and they won't both get playing time.

I doubt we see either one. But if we see one, I'd prefer to see Snyder.

I wonder about Snyder. I have a feeling that the O's are approaching the fish-or-cut-bait stage with him, and they may want to get a look at him against MLB pitching before they make up their minds.

Mahoney's surge at Bowie is putting the squeeze on Snyder. Norfolk is the logical destination for Mahoney next spring if he finishes well at AA, and that turns Snyder into a DH.

I wonder about Snyder. I have a feeling that the O's are approaching the fish-or-cut-bait stage with him, and they may want to get a look at him against MLB pitching before they make up their minds.

Mahoney's surge at Bowie is putting the squeeze on Snyder. Norfolk is the logical destination for Mahoney next spring if he finishes well at AA, and that turns Snyder into a DH.

I dunno, Mahoney could make the jump to Baltimore next year if he keeps hitting like this in AA and finishes the season like he's hitting...and then kills it in ST next year, provided we have another Atkins type there.

I dunno, Mahoney could make the jump to Baltimore next year if he keeps hitting like this in AA and finishes the season like he's hitting...and then kills it in ST next year, provided we have another Atkins type there.

Brandon Snyder hit .343/.421/.597 in AA, and crushed AFL pitching 2 years in a row. To me, AAA is a necessary step. Except for Nick Markakis. ;)

All true. Depends on whether Mahoney has really started to figure things out.

It's wide open for him. Sadly, Snyder isn't proving much of an obstacle.

I am very excited about Mahoney's recent surge, but we have to be careful about going overboard based on 91 plate appearances in AA. Snyder was real good for 233 PA at that level, and in two AFL stints, yet he's struggled at AAA. He has hit relatively well in 91 PA since June 1 (.286/.337/.505), unfortunately interrupted by a 5-6 week stint on the DL. I think he needs to have a pretty good August to warrant a September call-up.

Archived