How does Boras keep a straight face?

ChipTait

He's indicating that A-rod is looking for a 13-year deal!

From the SUN:

"Alex wants to be in one uniform for a long, long time, if not to the end of his career," Boras said of Rodriguez, 32, who is likely going to win his third Most Valuable Player Award. "I think Alex could play very reasonably until he's 45. So you're talking about a situation where we want this guy to be identified with one franchise and one uniform for a very, very long time."

Let's just offer him Peter's share of the Orioles and we'll call it even.

45? Really? I mean come on! Just because ARod is one of the best players of our time doesn't mean he will defy all odds and play longer than 99.99% of baseball players. Here's the short list of 45+ players.

Yeah, it's easy to get mad at Boras but this is more of his posturing. You don't go into negotiations to sell anything and ask for exactly what you want. He did this when ARod was with Seattle. Here's a good article on the Boras process.

His next step is to say that so-and-so team is seriously interested and so on and this is before the FA market starts.

-

-

-

45? Really? I mean come on! Just because ARod is one of the best players of our time doesn't mean he will defy all odds and play longer than 99.99% of baseball players. Here's the short list of 45+ players.

Yeah, it's easy to get mad at Boras but this is more of his posturing. You don't go into negotiations to sell anything and ask for exactly what you want. He did this when ARod was with Seattle. Here's a good article on the Boras process.

His next step is to say that so-and-so team is seriously interested and so on and this is before the FA market starts.

-

-

-

Once you get to the mid-40s half the players on the list were curiosities, or coaches filling in for a game or two. If you look past those guys you're left with a pretty strong common thread - almost everyone on the list was a very, very good player. Career length is dependent on two major factors: health, and quality of play.

Since Alex Rodriguez is one of the (conservatively) 10 best players ever he's be near the top of my list if I was guessing which currently active players would play until they're 45. Everyone peaks, then declines, then is forced out of the game when they're no longer good enough to contribute. ARod is starting off at an exceptionally high peak.

Archived