Manny Acta is quickly becoming my favorite manager

raccoon2k

From an interview with Manny Acta:

MA: I’m kept in the loop on everything that’s going on, and I have a say in how we want things done down there. I take a lot of pride in having continuity throughout the organization, all the way from rookie ball to the big leagues.
MA: I think its obvious that we need more than one piece. We’re going try and add a few guys instead of making one big splash, because that really won’t be enough to make us consistently competitive. We aren’t going to derail ourselves from our plan of building this franchise from player development and scouting.
MA: Bunting is pretty outdated. Everybody scores so many runs nowadays, it doesn’t make sense to play for one run unless it’s late in the game and it’s close. I hardly ever bunt early in a game, unless it’s with a pitcher. A big inning can win you a game. One run in the third inning can’t, unless you have Pedro pitching.
...I read Baseball Prospectus a lot too. Will Carroll writes some of my favorite stuff. I also loved Mind Game.

Manny Acta seems to be a great manager, and I love his emphasis on player development and sound, productive baseball. I will be keeping an close eye on the Nationals while under his leadership.

I hate to say it, but I think the Nats are cleaning the Orioles' clock in a lot of ways. They have an ownership group that understands the role of ownership vs. the role of the front office. They have a team president who helped build one of the great organizations in sports. They have a manger who knows how to motivate modern players and knows modern baseball theory. They have a consistent, long term view. They have a low payroll. They have a new stadium coming on line that will boost revenues. They appear to have been very successful in the draft the last 3 years. And, of course, they play in a division (and a league) where the playing field is much more level than the one the Orioles play in.

Not to mention that they came into 2007 saying they didn't expect to compete at all, and weren't going to spend any kind of serious money to field a halfway decent pitching staff... and yet still won more games than the Orioles.

It'll be interesting to see the Oriole management response if the Nats continue to win more games and draw 500k or 1M more fans than the O's to their new park. The O's have already lost much of their SoMd fanbase, and most of Virginia. If they'd had their act together six or seven years ago the Orioles could be the Braves of the mid-Atlantic, but now there's a danger of becoming the Brewers to the Nats' Chicago. Except the Brewers don't play in the AL East.

And, yes, Acta has become my model for answering the "what kind of manager do you want?" question.

Not to mention that they came into 2007 saying they didn't expect to compete at all, and weren't going to spend any kind of serious money to field a halfway decent pitching staff... and yet still won more games than the Orioles.

It'll be interesting to see the Oriole management response if the Nats continue to win more games and draw 500k or 1M more fans than the O's to their new park. The O's have already lost much of their SoMd fanbase, and most of Virginia. If they'd had their act together six or seven years ago the Orioles could be the Braves of the mid-Atlantic, but now there's a danger of becoming the Brewers to the Nats' Chicago. Except the Brewers don't play in the AL East.

And, yes, Acta has become my model for answering the "what kind of manager do you want?" question.

If the past 10 years are any guide, the response will be to overpay a few players of the Segui/Baez/Huff/Payton ilk.

There's no question the Nats are doing more with less at this point.

I hate to say it, but I think the Nats are cleaning the Orioles' clock in a lot of ways. They have an ownership group that understands the role of ownership vs. the role of the front office. They have a team president who helped build one of the great organizations in sports. They have a manger who knows how to motivate modern players and knows modern baseball theory. They have a consistent, long term view. They have a low payroll. They have a new stadium coming on line that will boost revenues. They appear to have been very successful in the draft the last 3 years. And, of course, they play in a division (and a league) where the playing field is much more level than the one the Orioles play in.

Exactly the reason why I bought a ticket game plan for the new stadium. A team that seems to be headed in the right direction. I have always loved NL style ball (grew up near Philly) and am sick of going to Camden (season ticket holder for 10 years to Camden) and seeing lifeless bodies out there on the field and an even more lifeless crowd. Nats have hope...besides, watching Zimmy play 3rd and the new kid Maxwell play is a thing of beauty...

All great points. Agree with the sentiment.

But did want to add that the Nationals play against the actual Braves...and New York and Philly. The NL East is no easy climb, either.

It'll be interesting to see the Oriole management response if the Nats continue to win more games and draw 500k or 1M more fans than the O's to their new park.

There's almost no doubt that the Nats will outdraw the O's by 500k - 1 mm fans next year, with a spanking new ballpark the public will be eager to see. Maybe even more. But I think the Orioles should not worry about that. Build a winning team and there will be plenty of fans at OPACY over the long term.

This is not a zero-sum game. More fans at Nats games means more interest in the team. More interest in the Nats means more viewers for MASN. More viewers for MASN means more revenue for the Orioles.

Archived