New draft piece on unsigned guys from Melewski

They need to sign anyone who isn't definitely going to college and turning down baseball.They won't sign free agents who are any good and their international scouting is threadbare. Just where are the Orioles going to get talent?

They need to sign anyone who isn't definitely going to college and turning down baseball.They won't sign free agents who are any good and their international scouting is threadbare. Just where are the Orioles going to get talent?
Yes, they need to sign these guys. They don't have to sign them "in the next 3 days" though. Negotiating a reasonable price allows them to sign more of the overslot guys. We all wish the budget was endless, but it isn't. If we hold the line and get Machado to sign for $1.5M less on August 16th than he would tomorrow, that's an extra $1.5M we have to spend on other overslot guys later in the draft.

Its frustrating waiting for them to get these things done, but that's how it works. If we end up losing someone over a small amount of money, then I'll be upset, but I'm not going to get mad over the timing of when these guys are signed. I learned my lesson from the Wieters contract.

FWIW, word out of LA is that Klein wants to sign but is non-plussed by the pace of negotiations. No link -- word of mouth.
The business run by the current staff is pathetic and the parent team's record shows it.

Anyone defending MacPhail or Jordan at this point is whistling past the graveyard. Absolute joke.

FWIW, word out of LA is that Klein wants to sign but is non-plussed by the pace of negotiations. No link -- word of mouth.

MacPhail meant to dot the "i'" on his signature on the contracts for all the players, but he had to concentrate on the trade deadline first...

MacPhail meant to dot the "i'" on his signature on the contracts for all the players, but he had to concentrate on the trade deadline first...

Joe Jordan actually does the signing as far as I am aware of. Also, once the 1st overslot deals start getting approved, the ball should get rolling on the rest of our guys...

I'm not panicking yet. If we don't improve our team through trades or international free agents, the only way we have of bettering our team is via the draft. So, I suspect they'll spend the money to get most of these guys signed. The only one I don't think we'll sign is Narron.

To be clear, this is word of mouth and should not be treated as a hard-fact point. It could be something as simple as Klein not being familiar with the whole process.

I agree with those who say that there is no point it getting wound-up prior to August 17th.

To be clear, this is word of mouth and should not be treated as a hard-fact point. It could be something as simple as Klein not being familiar with the whole process.

I agree with those who say that there is no point it getting wound-up prior to August 17th.

I agree, but any of us who follow the team closely certainly aren't suprised that Klein has the impression that the process is anything but slow and methodical when it comes to the O's. It would be nice to get him signed soon so he could pitch a few games in Aberdeen before their season is over, but I guess that's wishful thinking.

Archived