Hoes to Bowie

BowieMike

I asked Komminsk if there was a possibility Hoes stays with Bowie for more than three days. He said "as of now" it's only a three-day assignment.

Guzman will head to New York on Tuesday and is expected back by Thursday when the Baysox begin a four-game series with New Britain at Prince George's Stadium. He made his home in Tampa, Fla. for a few years before relocating to the Bronx this past offseason.

Congratulations to Joel, by the way.

It will be interesting to see what Hoes can do, I just wished it was not during a road trip.

I want to say Congrats to Joel Guzman as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could get more excited about Hoes. He's got a good eye, but I'm not too sure what else. Little power, fielding is suspect, speed is nothing to gloat about. He is young, so that's a plus. I'm more interested in Mahoney at this point.

At least it used to be that A-ball players generally had to spend their final month at AA to be eligible for Arizona. The exception was one A-ball player was ok to go.

Hoes is interesting because he has great plate discipline and knows the game. Defensively he was an outfielder in high school, and is in his second year of playing infield now. Usually the adjustment goes the other way.

I wish I could get more excited about Hoes. He's got a good eye, but I'm not too sure what else. Little power, fielding is suspect, speed is nothing to gloat about. He is young, so that's a plus. I'm more interested in Mahoney at this point.

Hoes has a great eye at the plate which might be his best skill. As far as your claim of his fielding being "suspect", I don't buy it one bit. L.J.'s showed he can field left and right and his fielding percentage is way up this year along with the fact he has with 6 weeks left, a 1/4 of the error total he had in Delmarva in 2009. L.J. ranged far to his right in yesterday's game and made an off-balanced throw from the grass behind second to get a runner. L.J.'s shown some pop with the bat, but he's not the type of hitter to bop 20 home runs, but he'll hit for good average with good gap power and hit maybe 10-15 homer projection and steal a few bases along the way.

Hoes has a great eye at the plate which might be his best skill. As far as your claim of his fielding being "suspect", I don't buy it one bit. L.J.'s showed he can field left and right and his fielding percentage is way up this year along with the fact he has with 6 weeks left, a 1/4 of the error total he had in Delmarva in 2009. L.J. ranged far to his right in yesterday's game and made an off-balanced throw from the grass behind second to get a runner. L.J.'s shown some pop with the bat, but he's not the type of hitter to bop 20 home runs, but he'll hit for good average with good gap power and hit maybe 10-15 homer projection and steal a few bases along the way.

I've seen him a few times - much less than you. He was also coming off mono. But I thought his range was really limited. His reactions were very slow, and he was slow to the ball. Again, maybe it was the mono.

Is BRob a possible comp for Hoes, assuming he reaches his potential?

His power would have to develop significantly. Power is the X factor, and that is still TBD.

Until that is clearer, I don't think anyone can say with real confidence what his potential might be.

I've seen him a few times - much less than you. He was also coming off mono. But I thought his range was really limited. His reactions were very slow, and he was slow to the ball. Again, maybe it was the mono.

Didn't you see him during his rehab at Aberdeen? If so, then yeah, I'd agree that the mono attributed to his slow reactions and slowness to ball. He definitely would not be at game speed. He still had some rust once he started back in Frederick, moreso with picking up breaking pitches than in the field. Now he's got the whole package rolling again.

Didn't you see him during his rehab at Aberdeen? If so, then yeah, I'd agree that the mono attributed to his slow reactions and slowness to ball. He definitely would not be at game speed. He still had some rust once he started back in Frederick, moreso with picking up breaking pitches than in the field. Now he's got the whole package rolling again.

Seeing someone on a rehab assignment ESPECIALLY after a sickness like mono, I find it hard to be able to really come up with a concrete conclusion on how he profiles or what type of skills or tools he has. But thats just me.

Seeing someone on a rehab assignment ESPECIALLY after a sickness like mono, I find it hard to be able to really come up with a concrete conclusion on how he profiles or what type of skills or tools he has. But thats just me.

And... My conclusion was far from concrete, hence me saying 'but mono' not once, but twice. But I read all of the words before getting ultra sensitive about my overly optimistic evaluations. But that's just me.

Willl the O's just go ahead and promote the

kid to Norfolk. I mean he has a 2.000 ops at AA what does he have left to prove. Sure this settles the top 100 question.

Seriously it is a big night for the kid and a tip of the hat is in order.

Archived