Hoes to Bowie

BowieMike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no reason to send him back to Frederick for the last month of the season. Let's see what he can do.

100% agree. If he succeeds, with good OBP and a good batting average, I think we have something here. AND, if he does do well here, he can possibly start next year in Norfolk if not start there, be promoted to Norfolk at some point next season. He will be mighty close to Baltimore. When is Brob's contract up again?

100% agree. If he succeeds, with good OBP and a good batting average, I think we have something here. AND, if he does do well here, he can possibly start next year in Norfolk if not start there, be promoted to Norfolk at some point next season. He will be mighty close to Baltimore. When is Brob's contract up again?

No way he goes to Norfolk in April on the basis of five weeks at AA.

Nor should he.

It might give him a leg up on a mid-season promotion, though I would almost prefer to let the power simmer at Bowie.

No way he goes to Norfolk in April on the basis of five weeks at AA.

Nor should he.

It might give him a leg up on a mid-season promotion, though I would almost prefer to let the power simmer at Bowie.

"No way" is a pretty silly thing to say. Markakis jumped all the way to the majors after 5 weeks of AA. Angle jumped to AAA this year after 2 weeks of AA. So of course it is possible that Hoes could jump to AAA next year if he stayed in AA the rest of this season and did well. However, the point is probably academic, because Hoes isn't going to stay in AA more than a few days, it appears. Which, by the way, is fine by me.

There's no reason to send him back to Frederick for the last month of the season. Let's see what he can do.

Odds are that they would bring him up the last week anyway.

It's interesting that they moved Adams to 3rd last night too, although I imagine it's not the first time he's played there.

"No way" is a pretty silly thing to say. Markakis jumped all the way to the majors after 5 weeks of AA. Angle jumped to AAA this year after 2 weeks of AA. So of course it is possible that Hoes could jump to AAA next year if he stayed in AA the rest of this season and did well. However, the point is probably academic, because Hoes isn't going to stay in AA more than a few days, it appears. Which, by the way, is fine by me.

Fair enough. Not the first silly thing I've ever said, nor the silliest. It could even be added that his most outstanding ability, plate discipline, is one that tends to play well at any level. But it would still be extraordinary for a kid who was barely keeping his head above water at Delmarva last season.

BTW I hope that he gets multi-hit games all week, and stays where he is through the end of next month. This might encourage the O's to send him to the AFL, which would be another half-step up toward what I just said couldn't happen.

Odds are that they would bring him up the last week anyway.

It's interesting that they moved Adams to 3rd last night too, although I imagine it's not the first time he's played there.

Adams' bat seems to get slept on a lot. He has a solid bat, not fantastic, but solid, but with no defensive home, what do you do with a guy like that? He doesn't hit well enough to be a DH...

Fair enough. Not the first silly thing I've ever said, nor the silliest. It could even be added that his most outstanding ability, plate discipline, is one that tends to play well at any level. But it would still be extraordinary for a kid who was barely keeping his head above water at Delmarva last season.

BTW I hope that he gets multi-hit games all week, and stays where he is through the end of next month. This might encourage the O's to send him to the AFL, which would be another half-step up toward what I just said couldn't happen.

It is pretty strange to see what he and Avery did at Delmarva and now what they are doing in Bowie.....Hoes' discipline slipped horribly last year as well. I dunno if we attribute that to his personal problems last year or what because it wasn't just Avery and Hoes who fell off last year in Delmarva, it was pretty much every prospect we had there....

It is pretty strange to see what he and Avery did at Delmarva and now what they are doing in Bowie.....Hoes' discipline slipped horribly last year as well. I dunno if we attribute that to his personal problems last year or what because it wasn't just Avery and Hoes who fell off last year in Delmarva, it was pretty much every prospect we had there....

Given the youth and inexperience of Hoes and Avery, the Sally League was probably at the outer limits of their abilities. The fact that they were in full-season ball at all, less than a year out of HS, came as somewhat a surprise to many. They're now a year older, they've been through the full-season grind, and maybe they've learned how to make adjustments. I hope so, because that's one of the biggest lessons for a young pro player; the competition is always evolving, and to succeed you have to be able to make corrections on the fly.

I would have loved to see them both light up A ball, but that wasn't very realistic under the circumstances. I actually thought that they did pretty well, given the situation. Look at Ohman and Dalles this year.

Delmarva is a tough place to hit, Frederick is an easy place to hit. That has a lot to do with it. However, both these guys have made good strides this year, and I really can't explain Hoes' lack of plate discipline in 2009.

I'm guessing a lot of you are underestimating the jump from varsity baseball to the Sally League in one season. That's my guess as to why the discipline dropped. It's definitely encouraging that he's getting it back.

Archived