Duke Vs Md

Sports Guy

To be completely honest, I did not see the middle finger incident, but from my understanding of the event (hearing about it immediately after the game from other students leaving), he did it relatively early in the game, when it was still in doubt and Maryland had to call a timeout to stop a Duke run. He was running back to the Duke bench when it happened. To this point, nothing that could possibly be construed as unacceptable behavior had occured on the part of the fans. The infamous chant didn't happen until the final minute or so of the game, when JJ was shooting free throws in an already decided game. Mackus or someone else who actually saw it, feel free to correct me but that is my understanding.

In any event, the outrage over what the fans said has been largely about making Comcast, and any college basketball arena, more fan friendly. That's why we can't play Rock n' Roll Part 2 anymore...it's not like "Sucks" can't be said on ESPN. I'd love to hear any rationale for why what Redick did was "not a big deal" under these circumstances. In the loading dock behind Comcast if drunk college kids were yelling at him, then it isn't nationally televised or in front of thousands of families and it isn't a big deal. But whenever it occured, if it happened on the court during a game, that is a big deal, at least from what we as Maryland student have had to hear in response to our own actions for the last year.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the issue of how things will go tonight...I honestly don't know what to expect anymore. I feel like this is a team capable of playing against anyone, and despite our problems I feel like we're due to break out against a top-tier opponent, which Duke certainly is. I don't think we were overrated at the beginning of the year, I think we have underachieved. I don't think this will be a big blowout either way, and my heart is saying that we win by a couple possessions.

Here's for some good ol' Beat Duke Mojo:

Terps Capture ACC Title over Duke, 95-87

I know I posted this story immediately after the game last year, but here's what happened:

The "incident" occured at least an hour before tipoff when both teams were on the court warming up. Redick was shooting on the far-side (locker-room side) of the court. He was mostly doing an around the world drill going around the key shooting. He was getting heckled by the students that were already in their seats (very few paying fans were there yet). I couldn't really hear what they were saying, but it was generally just shouting at him while he was warming up and then cheering wildly whenever he missed a shot (which wasn't too frequent). As he finished shooting around, one of the ballboys threw him a bit of an errant pass and it rolled to withing 15-20 feet of the student section he walked over to the ball and picked it up, turned to the crowd and flicked us off, mouthed (or maybe said, couldn't hear from where i was) "F*** You Guys", and then shot and went into the locker room, smiling like a jackass the whole way.

It wasn't a huge deal, but it definitely instigated the whole chant at the end of the game, as it was that section of the crowd that started the chant.

I know I posted this story immediately after the game last year, but here's what happened:

The "incident" occured at least an hour before tipoff when both teams were on the court warming up. Redick was shooting on the far-side (locker-room side) of the court. He was mostly doing an around the world drill going around the key shooting. He was getting heckled by the students that were already in their seats (very few paying fans were there yet). I couldn't really hear what they were saying, but it was generally just shouting at him while he was warming up and then cheering wildly whenever he missed a shot (which wasn't too frequent). As he finished shooting around, one of the ballboys threw him a bit of an errant pass and it rolled to withing 15-20 feet of the student section he walked over to the ball and picked it up, turned to the crowd and flicked us off, mouthed (or maybe said, couldn't hear from where i was) "F*** You Guys", and then shot and went into the locker room, smiling like a jackass the whole way.

It wasn't a huge deal, but it definitely instigated the whole chant at the end of the game, as it was that section of the crowd that started the chant.

The way the fans acted, just as Redick's action, was done in poor taste and neither behavior should be condoned.

Personally, i do not think what either did or say was that big of a deal, it was just in poor taste, however we are talking about drunk immature college kids here, as well as a spoiled rich kid who gets what he wants, so this behavior is not unexpected.

The same kind of stuff happens in Cameron. So it's no surprise at all. And in general, college kids continue to behave like heathanistic nitwits at sporting events in the name of "supporting your school."

Exactly. I have no problem whatsoever with what JJ did, I just think that people talk about Maryland fans like we're the worst in the country, but the same stuff happens at every arena in the country. I wish everyone would just calm down about all this crap.

And for the love of god let us play Rock and Roll Pt. 2!!

The same kind of stuff happens in Cameron. So it's no surprise at all. And in general, college kids continue to behave like heathanistic nitwits at sporting events in the name of "supporting your school."

But don't tell them they can't do it, because that would be violating their 1st Ammendment rights and they'll be "outraged!!!!"

I mean, what kind of country do we live in where we can't yell obsceneties at visiting universities? Isn't this what America is all about?

In my mind there is no defense for either action. Redick is a punk, and the MD fans should never have done that chant.

And SG, I can't believe you think that an athlete flipping off the fans is "no big deal."

Now THAT is an example of going too far. Extremely stupid to ban that song. Didn't they ban it once before and bring it back?

I remember they stopped playing it for a game during LaRon Profit's senior year (can't remember the exact year, it was the year we had Steve Francis, Dixon and Baxter's freshman year) but then they brought it back the next game.

Exactly. I have no problem whatsoever with what JJ did, I just think that people talk about Maryland fans like we're the worst in the country, but the same stuff happens at every arena in the country. I wish everyone would just calm down about all this crap.

And for the love of god let us play Rock and Roll Pt. 2!!

After hearing your story I'm a little annoyed. It wasn't right what the fans chanted but definitley started that chant. However it comes off as if poor jj was innocently verbally attacked by the MD fans. :rolleyes: Did anyone read that BS article about him in SI. It was basically made jj sound like a saint and the MD fans as Thugs.

After hearing your story I'm a little annoyed. It wasn't right what the fans chanted but definitley started that chant. However it comes off as if poor jj was innocently verbally attacked by the MD fans. :rolleyes: Did anyone read that BS article about him in SI. It was basically made jj sound like a saint and the MD fans as Thugs.

Thats how it's always been. It almost seems as if the media is involved in one huge love affair with dook basketball...it's rather sickening actually.

He is a STUDENT. Non professional athlete.

Yes, i do not think it is a big deal. Classless? Yes. Big deal? No.

It's different when you're being watched by millions on TV.

EDIT:

Ok I just read Mack's story. It really just sounds like an unfortunate event. I'm sure that the students could have been saying some pretty bad things. The whole thing is just stupid I think. But it's not ok for anybody to be yelling crap like that at anybody.

Ok anyway, getting back to the game. I think I might have just figured out what the Terps need to do to start winning again....it might sound corny but I think they just need to go out there and have fun. This has been lacking the last few games I think. Go out there and play hard, but don't forget to have fun while doing it.

Archived