Phillies on verge of getting Oswalt?

Sports Guy

Rumors floating on MLBTR that the deal is structured as follows:

Phillies Receive:

SP Roy Oswalt (Phils agree to renegotiate 2012 buyout from $2M to $5M)

2B/Utility Jeff Keppinger

Cash Consideration of $8M (roughly half of Oswalt's remaining 2010 salary plus buyout)

Astros Receive:

1B Jon Singleton

P JA Happ

P Scott Mathieson

OF Anthony Gose

Unfortunately, this deal takes Philly out of the mix for Tejada. In fact, I've read in a few places the last few days that a Philly Tejada deal looked promising pending the resolution of Oswalt.

Heyman has a different package:

7:37am: SI's Jon Heyman hears the Astros and Phillies were discussing Happ, righty Vance Worley, and two younger pitchers (Twitter link). Worley, a 22-year-old righty, spent most of 2010 at Double A, posting a 3.20 ERA, 6.6 K/9, and 2.9 BB/9. Baseball America ranked him 18th among Phillies prospects heading into the season, predicting a future as a back-end starter or middle reliever.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/19822365067

Wow, somehow the Astros managed to trade Gose to the Jays for Brett Wallace. Why would the Jays make this deal? They worked so hard to get him in the Halladay deal, and he is their only in-house option for a 1B of the future.

How do you manage to trade a very raw prospect likely to be a 4th OF who is hitting .263 in high A for a ML ready 1B/3B prospect with very high upside who is hitting .301 with 18 HR and 61 RBI in AAA? I don't get this trade at all.

If the Jays wanted to get rid of Wallace that badly, the O's should have offered Avery for him.

Wow, somehow the Astros managed to trade Gose to the Jays for Brett Wallace. Why would the Jays make this deal? They worked so hard to get him in the Halladay deal, and he is their only in-house option for a 1B of the future.

How do you manage to trade a very raw prospect likely to be a 4th OF who is hitting .263 in high A for a ML ready 1B/3B prospect with very high upside who is hitting .301 with 18 HR and 61 RBI in AAA? I don't get this trade at all.

If the Jays wanted to get rid of Wallace that badly, the O's should have offered Avery for him.

Yeah, really don't get the move from the Blue Jays perspective. Maybe they feel that Wallace will never be more than a DH, and that is already filled by Lind?

But, this likely signals the end of the Berkman era in Houston. That's another one to add to the Konerko, Pena, Lee list. Berkman does not quite slug as much as he used to, but he sure still walks a ton. Plenty of 1B supply available this offseason and not enough musical chairs for them all to sit. As of today, I'm actually feeling pretty good about getting a MLB quality 1B for next year.

Archived